Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » external wastegate with two vacuum line connections?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 11:19 Go to next message

playing with a friends external wastegate (sr20 dato1600, ballbearing t28 with the stock internal gate welded shut) i noticed it had two connections for a boost line- one on the side and one on the top of the gate.

the bottom connection is curently connected to the boost controller, the most boost he can get out of it is 12-13psi so we assumed that the spring inside wasent strong enough to hold any more.

So on the dyno tuner's advice we pulled it apart and made a couple of spacers to sit under the spring. whist apart i noticed that the line used to conrol the boost ended under the diaphragm and the other line that wasent used ended up in the chamber above the diaphragm.

anyone hazzard a guess as to the purpose of the second connection?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2005 11:23]

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"Usually" there is an inlet that connects to the compressor housing and the other goes to the controller valve!
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the connection that feeds to the top of the diaphragm connects to the compressor housing and the one that feeds to the underside of the diaphragm connects to the bleed valve/boost controler?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 11:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I do believe thats how they work. Certainly is on my CT20B.
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm well the dato has been running with the top line not conected to anything and the lower connection that feeds to underneath the diaphragm connected to the bleed valve? doesent that mean the bleed valve is doing nothing?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not exactly sure what is the inlet or outlet on that waste gate. The connection that is currently being used could be the inlet from the compressor housing. So having the control valve in series with this line will still make the waste gate fully operational.
The second connection is meant to give much finer boost control.
So if you remove the control valve from where it is now and put it on that second connection, it will give better control.

Does that make sense?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might help:

http://members.iinet.net.au/~shanej/205turboair.jpg
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

so the connection that feeds to the top of the diaphragm connects to the compressor housing and the one that feeds to the underside of the diaphragm connects to the bleed valve/boost controler?

NO NO NO NO NO!! You definately do not want to hook the fitting on top of the diaphragm directly to a boost source, this will ensure that the wastegate valve cannot lift off its seat (cause effectively you are pushing it into the seat, not lifting it off!), so that you will get as much boost as the turbo can produce!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

To get the preset wastegate pressure (determined by the spring rate), you would connect only 1 boost reference line to the fitting BELOW the diaphragm.

There are two options for boost control if you want more boost:

1.) bleed off a certain amount of air from this reference source below the diaphragm

2.) use some form of restriction to feed a small percentage of the boost pressure into the fitting on TOP of the diaphragm (in addition to full boost pressure below the diaphragm), effectively reducing the pressure underneath to increase the pressure at which the valve will lift off the seat.

Someone please correct me if they have found otherwise with their EXTERNAL wastegates.

Cheers
Phil

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2005 12:11]

cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yea i understand the wastegate concept, just found a cut-away pic of an external gate along with an exploded view, think im sorted now.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TE72_Turbo wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 22:08

NO NO NO NO NO!! You definately do not want to hook the fitting on top of the diaphragm directly to a boost source, this will ensure that the wastegate valve cannot lift off its seat (cause effectively you are pushing it into the seat, not lifting it off!), so that you will get as much boost as the turbo can produce!! Shocked Shocked Shocked

I do believe that some waste gates operate this way with a bleed system. HKS?

cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Sun, 19 June 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we cant get any more boost than 12psi with the bleed connected to the lower fitting, so we need to do the second of your two options, connect restricted amount of boost pressure to the top fitting to help the spring keep the valve shut and thus make more boost? have i got the concept corect?

[Updated on: Sun, 19 June 2005 12:27]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Option 2 is what Celicamad told me to do when fitting my Hiperboost with external wastegate. Unfortunately car isn't tuned yet so can't comment on how much boost it is running like this.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The top port sits on the vac side of the diaphram ie you need vac for it to open. It is there purely for cruise situations to open the wastegate and allow the exhaust gases a freer path out...ie don't have to go thru the exhaust wheel.

Good for emissions and maybe fuel economy. I have never actually seen anyone bother to hook this port up...certainly not in a performance application.

Remember, externals gates feature on a lot of factory turbo cars and trucks so the aftermarket has just copied their design. Not all aftermarket external gates run the dual port simply for the reason that 99% of users don't or won't use it.
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So on yours Justen, do you just bleed off air from the port below the diaphragm to get the desired boost level (like a conventional internal gate bleeder)?
Ever tried the second option? I'd be interested to hear some results as to whether it actually does give more accurate boost adjustment/control.

Cheers
Phil
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some electronic boost controllers are setup so the solenoid feeds boost to the top port on the external gate then close the solenoid to increase the pressure differential across the diaphram to limit the boost.
JustenGT4
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would decrease the pressure differential across the diaphram josh but i understand what you were trying to explain.

I don't use that no, just the bottom port and currently with no bleed as 13psi from the 10psi wastegate spring in plenty. When i had the 6psi spring i used a bleed and could get any boost level no probs.

I can't see why feeding boost to the top port would be any more accurate and i can see a big prob if the solenoide to that port fails in the open position...if you feed full boost to both ports you only have exhaust back pressure to counter the spring pressure and open the gate...you will suffer massive overboost.

I have never seen anyone use both ports for a perf gain so more i can't say...it may deliver a benefit but i can't see how and would like to see some real world results.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Mon, 20 June 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I will let you guys know how mine behaves when it is getting tuned on Friday as mine is setup using both ports.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 07:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm
thats interesting
i have set mine up so the boost source splits into a t piece and the 2 hoses go to each nipple on the gate.
as shown below
http://tinypic.com/9szeog.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9t00ah.jpg
http://tinypic.com/9t00fk.jpg

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 07:42]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is that a conventional bleed valve or a restricter like the norgen valve in general talk? I had mine setup like that and it was over boosting hardcore.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we'll see how i go.
apparently this is the PROPER way to setup up an external gate with a manual boost controller(bleed valve).

its a GFB(Go fast bits) bleed valve
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want higher boost do this. Its what i do and it has worked at 25psi quite well.

1.Run boost from the comp cover to the bottom of the gate.
2.Run boost from plenum with bleed valve inline to the top of the gate
3. Wind the bleed valve out all the way(bleeding the max amount) out and work your way in till the boost starts to increase.

I guarantee it will work
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm
i did a quick search on google and so far all i've found is teeing off the boost cource and running a line to each nipple on the gate
(same as in the pics)

would this have the same effect as running a line from the inlet manifold(vacuum source) to the top nipple on the gate
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae95 wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 23:07

hmm
i did a quick search on google and so far all i've found is teeing off the boost cource and running a line to each nipple on the gate
(same as in the pics)

would this have the same effect as running a line from the inlet manifold(vacuum source) to the top nipple on the gate

that will have no effect. it will be even pressure on each side of the diaphragm so it is effectively nothing,will be like running no boost pressure at all.

the way i explained works well because the top signal is always a few psi lower than the bottom signal.so its enough to open the valve but not enough to over ride it:)

just trust me on this one lol.
leigh
rb30 boy
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i setup my mates rb25/gt35r/45mm turbosmart gate like this, he was getting gate creep at 20psi with a 14 spi spring.
he was bleeding to the bottom of the diaphragm only and in higher gears the boost was all over the place.

set your up like i said and let me know how good it works Cool
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JustenGT4 wrote on Tue, 21 June 2005 08:47

I can't see why feeding boost to the top port would be any more accurate

the theory comes from the error in controlling pressures etc.. the higher the pressure/forces, the lower the error will be and it should be more reproducible...

basically, rather than bleeding off the lower port pressure, resulting in a smaller force on the diaphragm vs spring, you have higher forces both above and below... this should allow more accurate adjustment because the same change in the amount of bleed results in a smaller change in wastegate movement?
something like that.....
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message

ok just checked the turbosmart manual and it reccomends doing it the way indicated in my pic

[Updated on: Tue, 02 August 2005 13:45]

Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Tue, 02 August 2005 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rb30 boy wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 22:01

If you want higher boost do this. Its what i do and it has worked at 25psi quite well.

1.Run boost from the comp cover to the bottom of the gate.
2.Run boost from plenum with bleed valve inline to the top of the gate
3. Wind the bleed valve out all the way(bleeding the max amount) out and work your way in till the boost starts to increase.

I guarantee it will work

If the top line on the wastegate is equal to the same pressure as the bottom line how is the wastegate going to open? That is what happened with mine. It didn't! Was running 23psi before I let off and would have continued.
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: external wastegate with two vacuum line connections? Wed, 03 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous message
Supplying regulated pressure to the top port of the gate as well is the most accurate way of controlling boost. Using any form of bleed system to the lower port induces boost spiking as the response time of the gate is significantly decreased the higher the boost level used. The slowed response is due to the mass flow required through the system (and the finite time required for the system to fill) to achieve the pressure reduction to the gate actuator. These sort of boost spikes are what boost controllers tune out by preempting the spike and opening the gate earlier than it would otherwise to prevent overshoot due to slow response.

A completely sealed boost control system gives the fastest possible response.

If you have an 8psi gate, and supply a REGULATED 2 psi to the top of the diaphragm, the will be ZERO gate creep until 2psig is achieved. Once at 2PSIG the gate will commence creeping, and will be fully opeb at 10psig (ie 8+2=10).

Moral of story-use regulated pressure to the top port to control boost on an external gate-NOT a bleed system to the lower (main) port. The lower port bleed type set-up may work, but a top port bleed system set-up correctly works better hands down.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RA28 Corona/Peugot/Hilux brake upgrade
Next Topic:funni/wired temp gauge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 15:32:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091979503631592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.