Toymods » Tech & Conversions » is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
racer
Regular

October 2004
is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Tue, 02 August 2005 23:52 Go to next message
I have got a stocko sprinter, and a rwd 4age, i now want a 4age powered sprinter.
i have heard a few rumors that the 4age's don't meet the Australian requirements anymore, is there any truth behind this
the engine that i have got is the blue/black 95kw version,
thanks brad
  Send a private message to this user    
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Wed, 03 August 2005 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't see why it wouldn't be i know there are a few of them in the state.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Wed, 03 August 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Call an engineer.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Wed, 03 August 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sure they don't meet requirements anymore - much too out of date for a NEW car, but it should be alright for a Sprinter. As said, ask an engineer exactly what you have to do to keep him happy.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Thu, 04 August 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most states dont like when a car is "retrofitted" with an older engine, even if emissions are better (tried to swap an EFI engine into a carby car but couldnt cos engine was 2 yrs older than original)
BUT, if your starting with a stock AE86, you should be able to put any 4age engine in, as most are same age if not newer than the sprinter (especially if you go smallport or 20V)

But as stated before, see an engineer, dont rely on internet "gossip".
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Thu, 04 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cannonball wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 11:09

Most states dont like when a car is "retrofitted" with an older engine, even if emissions are better (tried to swap an EFI engine into a carby car but couldnt cos engine was 2 yrs older than original)

You'll find if you looked into that it would have been legal.

You can put a 1990 motor in a 1998 car if the emmisions expelled by the 1990 motor exceed that of the 1998 motor.

Many people have legally put 1990 1UZ's in late 90's cars because the 1UZ has very low emmisions.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Thu, 04 August 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, true, but unfortunately the engine i was looking at was the other side of an emissions regulation change, so they didnt care that it actually was cleaner, just that it met looser standards.

Edit: This was a few years ago though (early 80's), when they mostly relied on paper figures than actual emissions testing of individual vehicles

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 04:06]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Thu, 04 August 2005 05:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good point.
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: is it still legal 4 4age in ae86 in tas Thu, 04 August 2005 06:29 Go to previous message
what year is the motor and what year is the car ?

I'll ask my friend
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze head on 20v bottom end??
Next Topic:TA22 2T-B/2T Heater path
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 16:39:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039389133453369 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.