Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
EMD-AE86
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 10:14 Go to next message
Hey, i was wondering on how i'd go about fixing my noisy tappets on my 3SFE ST162 Celica.
I heard that you take off the rocker cover, and use a valve compressor to close the valves, take out the old little slip thing on the bucket tappet and replace with a new one? is this coorect?
And then im guessing i do this to all of the tappets.
I dont have to check clearance do i with feeler guages?
I have replaced a head on a car, changed macpherson struts, installed a pod filter and some other things but not major. Wold i have the experience to tacke a job like this?

Thanks all Wink
  Send a private message to this user    
Jack05
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you made sure the rocker top tappets are all tightened to the correct torque?
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what oil are you running? I had a noisy tappet on my coon until i ran better oil

I used to run shell helix in it, which was cheap and what caused the tappet. I then chose to run Penrite HPR30 (which i trust as an oil - all 7 of my family's cars run on it) And to be extra safe there is an oil supplement called Morey's oil stabilizer. it makes the oil tacky and sticks to components better.

Also try running some upper cylinder lubricant, and see if that helps.

Blake
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah you will need feeler guages. You need to measure the clearance between the shim (looks like a coin) and the bottom of the cam lobe. (not the point end)

Then with your results you can see which ones are out of spec (ie too much clearance, should be within .30mm on exuast, and within .25mm on intake side.

Once you work out the out of spec clearances, you need to measure the thickness of those shims and from that you can work out the correct sized shim to replace it with and fix the clearance.

Sounds pretty complicated but it isn't too hard.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do what i said first. no offence dingaling
dingaling
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: Noisy tappet Wed, 03 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No offence taken.

but my way is the PROPER way Very Happy
Still be interested in his results from doing your way.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noisy tappet Thu, 04 August 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Using a thicker oil to hide engine noise is not a fix, you're just masking the real problem.

I might add that Blake's coon had hydraulic tappets which is why thicker oil made a difference. 3S-FE's don't have a hydraulic valvetrain.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Noisy tappet Thu, 04 August 2005 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the problem could be using the wrong oil. poor quality or wrong viscosity oil makes noisy motors.
Jack05
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Noisy tappet Thu, 04 August 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 16:27

the problem could be using the wrong oil. poor quality or wrong viscosity oil makes noisy motors.

and is dangerous as well, if the oil pump can't suck the oil through the grate (coz it is too thick) your cams, and your driveshaft aren't gettin any oil. Something you don't want to happen when your doing 100 on the motorway
jack
EMD-AE86
Occasional Poster

February 2005
Re: Noisy tappet Sat, 06 August 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK cheers all, im going to fix them when i get some cash.
I want to do it myself so i know how to work on cars better in future.
.....hmmmm now i gotta go take out the engine too, need to replace my gearbox......synchros have rooted themselves Razz
Jack05
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: Noisy tappet Sun, 07 August 2005 02:54 Go to previous message
have fun..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:cable for battery relocation
Next Topic:Highly technical! cam cover color !
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 19:28:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041210651397705 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.