Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
1JZ Front sump oil capacity Tue, 02 August 2005 15:37 Go to next message
I know I can just fill it until it reads full Rolling Eyes But I wouldn't mind knowing how much oil a front sump 1JZ should take.
(helps in making sure I buy enough oil Razz)

(I imagine there may be small variations between JZX81/JZX91? as I think they went to a slightly different oil cooler design..?)

Anyway!

1JZ-GTE front sump oil capacity info would be tops Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
jzx83
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Tue, 02 August 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Wilbo,

For our JZX9x Chaser engine into MX83 Cressida Grande, we used about 6 litres of oil, including a small amount used to flush out some sludge in the line up to the filter (about 100mL). We also replaced the filter. Assuming you were just doing an oil change without changing the filter (why would you - clean oil + dirty filter = dirty oil) you might get away with 5 litres but it would probably be safest to allow 6 litres plus. The filter takes probably half a litre to fill. Also it is generally best with engines to run the same oil if possible from new to scrap yard, as radical changes of oil are prone to causing problems. For that reason, a bit more oil than needed for the actual change is probably a good idea, so you use the same oil for top ups between changes. Assuming it uses any oil between changes.

Of course if it were a smoky wreck of an engine you'd just stick Woolies brand oil in it until it died. Razz I am assuming that is not the case here.

Have Fun

Cheers Richard
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm I only stick about 4 litres into my 1JZ (JZX81 halfcut), should I be sticking in 5-6L too? Seems to run OK...
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 04:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For reference I have found the specs for 2JZ-GE and 2JZ-GTE (these are from memory so I might be out a bit!).

This is for a mid-rear sump as opposed to front sump tho and I'm not sure how much, if any the capacities differ by...

GE
5.2L drain + filter
4.9L drain
6.5L DRY

GTE
5L drain + filter
4.7L drain
6.5L DRY

Looking for similar info for a front sump 1jz of some description (pref 1jz-gte non vvti Smile)

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 10:26]

BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty sure for JZX-8x 1JZs it's 4.8L, when changing oil on my bro's cressida we always use up a whole 5L bottle with a good 1-200ml in the new oil filter before installing it. It's a very conveniant size, although you have ne oil left over for top-ups, but that just means you have a dedicated bottle just for that.
I've also heard that JZX-9x 1JZs take somewhere around 6L.
I'd really like to increase my 4AGE sump from its pissy little 3.5L to 4.8 or so, saves messing around with multiple half full bottles.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BigWorm wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 14:32

I'm pretty sure for JZX-8x 1JZs it's 4.8L, when changing oil on my bro's cressida we always use up a whole 5L bottle with a good 1-200ml in the new oil filter before installing it. It's a very conveniant size, although you have ne oil left over for top-ups, but that just means you have a dedicated bottle just for that.
I've also heard that JZX-9x 1JZs take somewhere around 6L.
I'd really like to increase my 4AGE sump from its pissy little 3.5L to 4.8 or so, saves messing around with multiple half full bottles.

Joel, why the huge difference between JZX-81 and JZX91?

The sumps are the same, turbos etc (to my knowledge) the only thing that MAYBE different is the cooler section where the oild filter locates, and I can't see that holding an extra 1L!!!

Cheers
Wilbo
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I have no idea hey, it seems pretty strange to me too. My bro's definitely takes 4.8-5L and Steve Fraser, one of the earlier Toymods members, recently used a JZX-9x 1J in a cressida & was very suprised when it took somewhere around 6L. Neither of us could figure it out, not that we put much effort into it....
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 07:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm well if the sump has been changed I can tell you that the dipsticks are different lengths that could lead you to believe the the sump is under full when it is indeed full (and lead to it showing full when it is 1L+ overfull).

But if it is a stock JZX91 1JZ with the stock sump etc then I'm just as confused as you are!

hehe back to looking for hard numbers! Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another question - are you running an oil cooler?

mine without oil cooler, for a drain + new filter, has always been almost spot on 5L
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mine is spot on 5l (oil & filter), my friend JZX100 is 6l
Dunno why the big difference!!!
I could only think that maybe my dipstick was wrong!?!?!
I've just got another front sump from a 2JZ-GE, so I'll compare them when I get a chance.

More shocking is my 3S-GE RS200 takes 5.7l
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 10:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 17:52

another question - are you running an oil cooler?

mine without oil cooler, for a drain + new filter, has always been almost spot on 5L

I'm not running an oil cooler, any reference to an oil cooler I make is simply directed towards the water/oil cooler arrangement that they come with stock.

Cheers
Wilbo
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found front sump JZ to hold about 6 litres with oil+filter change.

My 4AG with a sump I altered myself, and front oil cooler, holds about 8.5 litres. Thirsty little piggy!
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my sump is an aristo sump. it took 5 litres and it sits at just over full, thats with a filter change too

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 12:29]

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Wed, 03 August 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is all very good, but I'm still waiting for some hard numbers Razz

Also an idea as to why JZX100 take 6L maybe due to the VVTI sytem (which is oil pressure activated to my knowledge) requiring a larger amount of oil?

Cheers
Wilbo
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Thu, 04 August 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea but here is some more useless information Razz My jzx90 front sump with standard dipstick uses dead on 5L with an oil filter change. No aftermarket oil coolers or anything.
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Thu, 04 August 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My Cressida/JZX81 1JZ took 4L at the last oil change, just checked it an hour ago (been sitting for a few hours) and the dipstick is just over the full mark. There is still a spare litre sitting in the container in the boot.
So either I have the wrong dipstick (its the flexy wire looking one) or it just uses 4L.

Am I supposed to put oil into the filter before fitting it? I have never done that with any of my previous cars.
splatt
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZ Front sump oil capacity Mon, 05 September 2005 09:13 Go to previous message
The handbook ( in the glovebox of my front cut, in Japanese, but figures are workoutable) for a 99 JZX100 Chaser(front sump-vvt), says 5 litre ,or 5.2 with filter change.
But, when off the engine and put side by side with a mid/rear sump some changes can be seen, the front sump will hold 5 ltres filled to overflowing, the mid/rear sump ,due to smaller pan size will only hold 4.5 lires. if any more was to be added the oil level would be over the join of the sump to alloy surround, this is when perfectly flat. Having oil this high will be asking for leaks. Due to smaller pan now fitted to engine, and even know the handbook says 5.2,I think max should be 4.5, the pan capacity, past that is asking for trouble.

[Updated on: Mon, 05 September 2005 22:11]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tachometer Operation/Waveforms
Next Topic:18rgeu info pls.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 03:07:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058989524841309 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.