Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
zasa
Regular

October 2004

ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Wed, 03 August 2005 22:24 Go to next message
Hi guys,

Would someone be able to give me a rough idea of the steps required to adjust the clutch on an ST205 gearbox.

This box is sitting in an ST185, what other components do I need to remove in order to perform(access) an adjustment?

Unfortunately I yet to source a tech manual for the ST205.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Wed, 03 August 2005 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats it doing?

what needs to be adjusted?

have you checked the slave and master cylinders are in correct working order and shape? I couldn't shift as the rod had kinked before on mine.

Otherwise If you want to adjust the travel its behind the clutch pedal.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Wed, 03 August 2005 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gear shifts are a little stiff. I'm under the impression that the clutch is not disengaging properly.

I'm pretty confident that it's not the syncros at this stage. Now I may be completely off here but this is why i think it's not:

- There's a slight squeak on clutch release, when shifting down and engine braking. Feels like the clutch is still slightly engaged.

- when double clutching and matching revs there problems are gone

- there is no 'grinding' sound even when the shifting is hard. the other gt4 has 2nd and 3rd syncros shagged, and the symptoms on that are entirely different.

Could you elaborate on the rod kink?

Pedal travel is fine.
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Wed, 03 August 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when the clutch is disengaged, can you wiggle the clutch fork by hand?

If you can, then there's no pressure on the clutch from the fork, and consequently, the hydraulic system is fine.

If you can't, then you need to have adjust it at the master cylinder.

The rod referred to is a rod connecting the clutch pedal into the clutch master cylinder. It has a nut and a threaded bracket which by loosening the nut, and spinning the shaft (keeping the bracket attached to the pedal) you can adjust the system.

hope this helps.
Matt
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Thu, 04 August 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks matt.

What is the easiest way to access the release fork so that I can check it?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Thu, 04 August 2005 21:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Thu, 04 August 2005 21:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
zasa wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 16:25

Thanks matt.

What is the easiest way to access the release fork so that I can check it?

reach in with your hand?
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Thu, 04 August 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great Smile
thanks
dynomatt
Regular

May 2004
Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Thu, 04 August 2005 22:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah...what he said.

I don't have my car here sorry (it's in Canberra ironically Wink), but find the clutch slave cylinder, as the only thing bolted to the front side of the block (you can find it just by opening the bonnet...no need to jack it up) near where the gear box attaches.

It has two bolts holding it on, a rubber boot and then the shaft that pushes the clutch fork.

You'll figure it out!!

M
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Sat, 06 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK finding the fork was simple as you stated, thanks Smile

When the clutch is disengaged, the fork moves very little. I can wiggle it, but only slightly.

When engaged, the fork pushes out. However, when engaged, i can manually push the fork out even more by hand. When I do this, the clutch pedal travels all the way down and stays there stuck.

Why does it do this?

I'll have a look at the master cylinder now.
Gazzman
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Sat, 06 August 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you look up where the pedal is there is a spring that hold the pedal down to the floor, it holds it out for half the travel and then pushes the pedal down for the second half.

the return of the pedal relies on the pressure of the fork pushing the rod back in to the slave cylinder, if you bleed the clutch system you'll have exactly the same problem, that is the pedal will stick down, this is nothing do do with the master cylinder, although if you had a leak somewhere in the system this would occur.

the only adjustment in the clutch sytem is like was said on the pedal, but if there was air in the system or a leak then the clutch would not fully disengaged.
zasa
Regular

October 2004

Re: ST205 gearbox clutch adjustment Sat, 06 August 2005 04:53 Go to previous message
It seems that my problems were at the pedal. After much fiddling and testing, i've got it sweet. I am very happy Smile

Thanks for all the help guys. You guys are champs Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Disc Brake shims
Next Topic:1984 Cressida Glxi Parts into a 1984 celica ra65
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 00:01:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005267858505249 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.