Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help!!! Mon, 01 August 2005 15:04 Go to next message
Hey all,

I have placed a deposit on a Black 1990 celica GT-4. The car is completely stock bar a turbo timer. It has only done 71 000 k's. I'm just wondering if I will be able to register it all good as the bloke I'm buy it off(japanesecarsales.com) says that it will be fine. It has a blue and silver plate in the engine bay I think this is a mod plate and the seat belts have been changed over and side intrusion bars have been installed. The car also has a saftey certificate. Will I have any trouble getting it registered in Queensland I live in Brisbane????

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Andrew

P.S. Anyone ever dealth with www.japaneseautosales.com I found the car on carsales.com they seem to have alot of cars on there. thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 17:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you might want to ask your local registration authorities about this and then get IN WRITING from the seller that it CAN be registered. why not check if the plate is actually a modplate? (and check if it is still applicable, as the rules have recently canged)

why on earth would you put down a deposit before finding out f it can be registered? unless of coure you are happy to just use it for a track car perhaps?

Cya, Stewart
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 21:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 01:04

I'm just wondering if I will be able to register it all good as the bloke I'm buy it off(japanesecarsales.com) says that it will be fine.

Why not get the dealer to register it in your name ?
That's what happens when you buy a new Car.

No rego, no buy !
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It should be a green plate!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Being a 1990 model as well, you better make sure it has the right import approval papers to be registered in Australia and that this was acquired before they changed the 15 year rule which now only applies to 1989 and earlier cars as well ... any model 1990 and above must now be brought under the SEVS rules.

You might want to check out the Prestige motorsport webpage which has updates and info about getting an import car registered here in Australia.

da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 23:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Seller is going to be coming to Queensland Transport with me. And if it does not get registered then I will not be paying the money and I will be getting my deposit back. I'm pretty sure the 15 year rule does not apply from what he was telling me because he lived over there for 12 months and had owned the cars before that new rule came in so it does not apply to him. I am still a bit suss on it but I think I'm just worring a bit to much about it.

What is the difference between a green and blue plate?
Thanks Andrew will be going to QLD Transport tomorrow will let u all know how I go.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
da_foles wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 09:11

The Seller is going to be coming to Queensland Transport with me. And if it does not get registered then I will not be paying the money and I will be getting my deposit back. I'm pretty sure the 15 year rule does not apply from what he was telling me because he lived over there for 12 months and had owned the cars before that new rule came in so it does not apply to him. I am still a bit suss on it but I think I'm just worring a bit to much about it.

What is the difference between a green and blue plate?
Thanks Andrew will be going to QLD Transport tomorrow will let u all know how I go.

if the actual owner did have it for 12 months there then it will be a personal import (same as i am doing), but it sounds suss that this guy was actually there.. then again, if it does have personal import plates, then it should be plain sailing...

next time, get it in writing before you put money down. the seller has no obligation to return your deposit if you decide to back out....
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Mon, 01 August 2005 23:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its a personal import. He has a few cars at his house.
Yes I should have got it in writing bad move I guess. But I think its going to be fine I just wanted to hear from a few of you.
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Wed, 03 August 2005 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the car was brought in under the SEV's scheme before it changed, you will need the vehicle import approval certificate, the paperwork for the SEV's compliance that goes with the blue mod-plate, safety certificate and proof of purchase etc to get it registered.

The vehicle import approval certificate is the most important doco you need, so get the original from the seller and dont lose it.
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Thu, 04 August 2005 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Word from a mate here in the ACT - you can't technically compliance a car with a turbo timer. He said he easily got around this by making sure the handbrake was down when switching off the ignition, hence the timer doesn't activate. Smile
da_foles
Regular

August 2005
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Thu, 04 August 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah g'day mate ,

met the old owner of the car yesterday arvo at queensland transport we had it registered in 10 mins was a peice of cake so much worrying over nothing so yeah its all good she is sitting at home in my garage now with some nice new plates on it hehe.

I think I kept that approval notice not sure. I know I had a photo copy of it its like a big letter hey.

Anyway love the car go GT4!!!!!
1gt48u
Regular

April 2004
Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Thu, 04 August 2005 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
congrats champ

enjoy your car

cheers Very Happy
Squid
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: I'm buying a 1990 GT-4 in brisbane jap import has not been registered in australia yet need help Thu, 04 August 2005 03:53 Go to previous message
Congrats mate, hope you enjoy your car as much as I do mine!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ae82 front bar lip
Next Topic:1JZ.747 runs 10.70 et on street tyres(video on page 2)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 13:44:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054149627685547 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.