Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 09:40 Go to next message
hey all

I was looking over the tech articles on 1G stuff and my impression is that the speed limiting is actually initiated from the dash not the ECU. Is this correct? and is the rev limiting done the same way?

My question arises due to the 1G-GTE conversion i have just done. i am running the 1G-GTE ECU but my dash so does anyone think i will have the rev limiter or speed limiter? is a very early gen 2 motor (air to air IC but yellow injectors). is there a way to check. i am not a fan of flooring it to see Razz

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, it has a rev limiter (7500rpm?)

Speedo sensor comes from the dash cluster, it's a reed switch sorta arrangement... you can fake this easily.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you talking to produce a speed output or to produce the limit output? my dash does produce the speed output and i don't really want the speed limiter on it i was just seeing if my car would limit just to be on the safe side. this may seem like a stupid question but it is really bad to hit the limiter isn't it? like i wouldn't want to do it much?

Thanks
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speed limit and rpm limit are two very different things.

can i suggest you stick to a healthy rpm limit that's at the peak power output of the engine.

you hear race cars bouncing off limiters - but those are user-set and designed to protect the engine, not let you rev too high.

speed limits are at your discretion (and willingness to lose points on your license)
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 11:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what i meant was that i don't intend to go anywhere near the speed limiter speed (its like 180kph or something right) so i couldn't care if its there or not.

But you didn't really answer the question. is the factory rev limit a "safe" one or just to prevent major damage. I also don't intend to take my car anywhere near the limiter it is all just curiosity incase i miss a gear and floor it in neutral or something. should i be concerned if i ever see the limiter? or even if i see it regularly
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got the limiter on my 1g set at 8500rpm
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
EMP-2TG wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 21:25

i got the limiter on my 1g set at 8500rpm

...and so you bloody well should!! Laughing
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 12:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats that mean?
there is nothing worse than being stoped in your tracks by the rev limiter in 5th Laughing
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ndgcpr wrote on Wed, 03 August 2005 21:23

what i meant was that i don't intend to go anywhere near the speed limiter speed (its like 180kph or something right) so i couldn't care if its there or not.

But you didn't really answer the question. is the factory rev limit a "safe" one or just to prevent major damage. I also don't intend to take my car anywhere near the limiter it is all just curiosity incase i miss a gear and floor it in neutral or something. should i be concerned if i ever see the limiter? or even if i see it regularly

pfft i change gears just b4 the limiter kicks in dont be weak
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Wed, 03 August 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont worry about the limiter
u could hold it flat in neutral and it shouldnt hurt anything to much
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 01:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's fun to bounce off the limiter every so often... Wink
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 11:19

It's fun to bounce off the limiter every so often... Wink

so true
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 01:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rev limit for the GTE's is supposed to be set at around 7200rpm. Don't worry about this figure, because it's a good 500rpm lower than the 1GGE's. It was set lower by the factory because there is no point taking the factory turbos past that point, they are just a bottleneck.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 02:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Until you force them to work overtime, then it kinda hits the limiter with ease...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HyDrA wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 10:18

Until you force them to work overtime, then it kinda hits the limiter with ease...

Which I plan to find out ASAP Razz
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also the 1G in your car will not have a Speed Limiter.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it easy to just "change" the limit value? or is it a bit complicated to get it raised or lowered? i once took my 1G-GE to 7750 so i though it had no limiter, boy it wasn't happy about that....
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not possible without piggyback ecu
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 09:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use mine all the time.
I like to know it's there god knows how many rpm it is but when ur teeth start to rattle it's not too far away !
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can't believe how many people use it!!! i always grew up thinking it was an evil thing only to prevent the motor blowing up when the throttle is stuck down or something. Not something that should be "tested" every week to insure its functionality lol.

I still plan on never finding mine, but its nice to know its there, now the fixing of my tacho has moved DOWN the "things to do" list
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry double post.

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 11:05]

Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 14:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've found it on every car i've ever had !

Haven't u ever seen (well heard) drifters hit the limiter ?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Thu, 04 August 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mookie wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 00:25

I've found it on every car i've ever had !

Haven't u ever seen (well heard) drifters hit the limiter ?

yeah so true, how can you find the limiter on the sa63 cos my corona doesn't have one, it hit 6.4krpm once redline is 5.8krpm, i don't think it has a limiter some how.
I have also been in a 2002 Range Rover V8 4.4L BMW engine and seen it hit the limiter = amusing Razz

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 23:29]

midnight
Regular

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from my understanding bouncing of a limiter can create a lean condition.

aftermarket limiters cut ignition instead of fuel to avoid this and help protect the engine.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh its all good punnish the engine on the limiter if it breaks it a good opourtunity to put a 1jz into it Laughing
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I know a 2s-c will rev out to 7500 cuz we tryed it.
my friend got a 2.25 inch zosrt system and we wanted to see who was loudest
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the funniest thing i ever did was test drive an excel from a car yard.. and while it was DEAD cold i mean just been started.. we sat it on hte limiter..... that was quite amuzing!
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
midnight wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 10:10

from my understanding bouncing of a limiter can create a lean condition.

aftermarket limiters cut ignition instead of fuel to avoid this and help protect the engine.

99% of computers, beit factory or aftermarket cut fuel.

Cutting ignition blows raw fuel out the exhaust valve and to some extent out the exhaust, which it highly illegal from an EPA point of view.

And lean is where there is just enough fuel to ignite, and it burns really hot.
If you reduce the fuel more, the fuel does not ignite, and therefore does not create a lean condition.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ha ha ha ..2SC and a rev limiter?? thats like saying my 18RG has a rev limiter..the only limit in a 2SC (non efi) will be valve bounce..and that doesn't sound pretty..

my 4age's hit the limiter all the time i took them out..thats why it's there for isn't it??

AFAIK toyota's rev limiters never create a lean spot..they advance/retard the timing 180 deg..thats why some times on a dark night you can see flames out the back of the drift pipes hanging off the levin!
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a 2S-E hit the limiter once... in 2nd gear... after about 45 seconds of waiting for it to climb from 5000rpm to 6000rpm...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm 6000rpm limiter, do you reckon the 22re has one cos i haven't found it yet. I have seen the limiter on my mums camry it just sits there same with my sis's boyfriends old Ba work car.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 15:11

hmmm 6000rpm limiter, do you reckon the 22re has one cos i haven't found it yet. I have seen the limiter on my mums camry it just sits there same with my sis's boyfriends old Ba work car.

depends on what year 22re..some do somoe don't..well thats what i've heard..i can't belive ppl arn't using them!! toyota limiters sound awsome! ha ha ha..
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
85 corona, hehe i generally change at 5krpm when driving hard it just so slow between 5-5.8krpm i hit 6.4krpm doing paddock work accidentally it hasn't died yet so can't be too bad.
They wouldn't put a limiter there is they didn't want you to reach it, i follow your motto.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Cressida didn't.
I had taken it to 7200 on a couple of occasions, and record would be about 7600ish.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was this with a 5MGE?

Jeeesus... can you imagine the 5M-E screaming for dear life... saying LET ME GOO!!!!!!!! if you revved it that hard...
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nah, the 6MGE... same stroke at 7M... long.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh.... so it wouldnt have liked it much either!

wasn't the 6MGE only 10hp down on the 7MGE?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hears a note never get a good car serviced at a dealership not that anyone on hear would. When i did my advanced driver training course this year there was a ford and subaru apprentice mechanic there. They had a demo GT on the lot and had deleted the factory limiter which is like 6.2 and regularly give it 7-8rpm clutch dumps. Needless to say in its 10000kms they have already blown driveshafts and a few engine components. the boss motor have like a 105mm stroke
The subaru guy bragged about taking out any 2 door STI that came in.
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: rev limiters Fri, 05 August 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't want to put a tacho in the wagon , I couldn't tell you how many times I've poped it off the limiter, it pulls all the way to the limit, without a tacho it sort of just arrives.

you get this nice bang bang and quickly grab the next gear.

Funniest thing would be when Jas (yellow rolla) didn't have a rev limiter on his comp. the good old 3TGTE saw 10400 the data logger read. haha when we poped the bonet at macca's we were expecting oil every where. But she held together.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: rev limiters Sat, 06 August 2005 08:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
man i can't believe this thread is still going, more like it should be moved to the general section and called "give us your limiter story" but its good to hear how "good" it is to use it. i still haven't taken mine out to far, i see what they mean by there is a bit of a bottle neck formed from the turbos as they seem to die off. but i suspect my clutch is doing a small slip in top end so i don't take it there out much
terra
Regular

July 2005
Re: rev limiters Sun, 07 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous message
7000rpm here... or about there... too bad i make NO POWER up there Razz

http://iow.free.fr/S4010087.AVI
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3tgte efi wiring link
Next Topic:cable for battery relocation
Goto Forum: