Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 81 hilux 2wd diff conversion

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
choofa
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  81 hilux 2wd diff conversion Thu, 04 August 2005 02:55 Go to next message
are there any diff conversions for the old girl that bolt in that has taller gears and maybe has limited slip.it has a tired 18r engine and column shift but grip factor is zero in wet.i know its light in the back but this is ridiculous.it has new tires and i,m worried if i drive on damp worksite it will bog too easy.i need taller gears cause its near screaming at 90 kph.thanks for any info people. ps.also need info on changing existing drums to disk brakes.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 81 hilux 2wd diff conversion Thu, 04 August 2005 03:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux diffs are G series. This means you can grab the gears and/or centre from any Toyota with a G series diff and swap them into your housing. This gives you a pretty broad selection of OEM and aftermarket stuff.

If you want taller gearing and LSD you should consider sourcing an MA70 Supra turbo diff, which will have 3.7:1 gears and a clutch-type LSD. Your current diff probably has 4.8:1 gears, so that will bring the highway revs way down.

As for rear discs, I can't see the point on a Hilux with an 18R but it can be done. Do a search, it's been covered in detail and I believe there's even a tech article on it.
choofa
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  Re: 81 hilux 2wd diff conversion Thu, 04 August 2005 04:30 Go to previous message
gonna put disks all round.hate drums,they are a shitter to adjust.also wanting to put in 18r-g eventually.just getting all info necessary so as to decide what would be best option for my budget.i,ll be needing it on road most of the time but love to tinker so quick bolt in jobs would be preferable.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:are the brake calipers the same ra60 and mar2 supra same?
Next Topic:confirmation of 20v info?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:23:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048739910125732 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.