Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Where did this bit of metal come from?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 12:46 Go to next message
Dropped the oil out of my 4AGE a few days ago, and I found a piece of metal in the bottom of the pan when I emptied it. It is possible that it came from my gearbox (replaced before this), but I don't remember seeing it there before I dropped the oil from the engine, and looking at my disassembled gearboxes, I can't see where it would likely come from. So I'm guessing it's from the engine...

http://images10.fotki.com/v203/photos/1/12090/45402/PICT2561-vi.jpg

http://images10.fotki.com/v203/photos/1/12090/45402/PICT2562-vi.jpg

It doesn't respond to a magnet. It looks like part of the block? Any ideas where it could likely have come from?
  Send a private message to this user    
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any guess on what's the diameter of the hole from just the section of it?
i'm guessing it's a trans piece from around the shift rails, or maybe the reverse idler shaft.
ae95
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2003
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont see how that could get into the engine from the gbox
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr: I'll measure the hole tonight. Could be near the oil pickup maybe? Hmm, this is going to be interesting trying to find... If it is from the engine, I hope I can see it by dropping the sump off...

ae95: No, what I meant was, I dropped the oil out of the gearbox before I replaced the gearbox, then emptied the gearbox oil out of the pan, and then dropped the oil from the engine. So it *could* have come out of the gearbox (with the gearbox oil), but I don't remember seeing it in the pan before I dropped the engine oil...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 22:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Either way, I'm guessing that this is a bad thing, and I should start looking for a new engine?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could it have come from the head? Would something that big be able to end up in the sump? It looks like a different material to the head (which looks to be a lighter coloured alloy)?
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
allencr: What is a shift rail, and where is the reverse idler shaft? I'm looking through the 4AGE book at the moment, and I can't seem to locate them...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless it was fired out of the gearbox and smashed through the engine block,it isnt a gearbox peice. best bet is to take the sump of and have a look.if you cant see anything have a look int the rocker covers.
mick
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theory #632.2: It was something that was just sitting in the engine bay (picked up off the road or something) and it fell into the pan while I was mucking around with the oil filter...

Will drop sump and take rocker covers off over the weekend and have a look around...
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh. Have just realised that "shift rail" and "reverse idler shaft" are part of gearbox, not engine. No wonder I couldn't find it in the 4AGE book Razz

When I matched it up to my disassembled gearbox yesterday, the hole is too small to be where the shift rail or any of those bits go. At a guess I'd say the hole is about 5mm?

[Updated on: Wed, 03 August 2005 23:06]

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If that came out of the engine/gearbox I'm pretty sure you'd know about it by now. Catastrophic metallurgical failures are generally easy to spot.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie: So you recon maybe Theory #632.2 could be a possibility? I'll drop the sump off anyway and see if I can spot anything, I think.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If it doesnt respond to a magnet, then it must be an alloy. Alloy parts include Head, Waterpump, Bellhousing, Inlet manifold, timing cover backing plates?? and maybe a few more exterior bits. Not sure if the oil pickup/pump is alloy, i've never been "inside" a 4AGE.

So i would have a look around these bits first, as you said it may have dropped into the oil pan from outside the engine.
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe part of one of the baffles from the cam/rocker covers?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

How does something that size get from the head to the block? Wouldn't the oil galleries be too small at allow it through, and wouldn't the oil pump or filter block it?

If it's in the sump, and assuming it's from the engine, then I'd suspect it to came from the block not the head.

seeyuzz
river
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Wed, 03 August 2005 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river: That's what I was wondering too (about whether the oil galleries in a 4AGE are big enough to let something that big go from the head to the sump). Oil pump and filter wouldn't block it though, looking at 4AGE book the oil gets pumped and filtered as it gets picked up from the sump, so anything falling off etc wouldn't get in there unless it got sucked up by the pickup again (which wouldn't happen in this case because it's too big).

4AGE block is iron right? Iron responds to magnet, so can't be part of the block. Bizzaro.

Approach #58: Drive car till something blows up, then I'll know where it came from. If it doesn't blow up then assume part was either not important, or didn't come from engine.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
note, not all iron based alloys are magnetic Wink

yar, if you cbf pulling off sump and rocker, just drive... something will happen eventually
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 06:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That chunk has got to be 12-14mm across. Are you sure it could actually fit out through the sump drain hole?!?! Theory #632.2 looks more likely to me, unless a 4AGE has a bigger sump plug than most ...

Or theory #632.3, your mate/girlfriend/old man/some prick dropped it in your oil pan for a joke Wink

Edit: Just drive it - it'll either run fine, or it will blow and the effort of pulling the motor will then seem more worthwhile Cool

[Updated on: Thu, 04 August 2005 06:17]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
babyz: That's a really good point. If it's too big to fit through the sump plug hole, then it definately didn't come from in there. I'll have to look tonight Smile

At the moment I'm liking the "just drive it" approach. And just hope that if there is something broken in there, when it goes it doesn't take everything else with it.

I'll think about it more.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id be pretty comfortable in saying it didnt come out of either your engine sump or gearbox with the oil.

it looks more like a piece of bellhousing/gearbox casing. look for broken tabs that are designed to bolt though or the likes. if something like that was missing from your engine head (im assumiing not block as it dosent look like cast iron) then you would be having serious issues.

perhaps part of the oil cooler assembly ? but my guess is gearbox/bell housing casing
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course the gearbox drain plug is usually bigger ...

It doesn't really look like an internal engine or gearbox bit, but on the other hand it looks a little mangled up, which tends to happen to bits that spend any time loose where they shouldn't be.

Hard to know what to advise, really. Big help, huh?!?! Rolling Eyes
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Big help, huh?!?!

LOL, well, it's a lot better than me standing around scratching my head Smile
stradlater
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've had spare bits left over before now, things like that and wondering where the fuck they came from, and I just proceeded to put the engine back in and together and everything was fine. I'd just leave it.
If it is important soon enough you'll either notice it or something else will fail.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Thu, 04 August 2005 09:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nods- if the motor goes BANG you'll know it was an important bit ....

if it was me id be pulling stuff off where i could to check what i can
Salad Fingers
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Fri, 05 August 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This might sound werid, are you SURE its not a bit of reinforced plastic? check the understand on the oil filler cap, I had a bit break off that on my rx7 once. it looked exactly like that.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Fri, 05 August 2005 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No, quite sure it's metal. Someone else suggested that it might be the underside of a piston, near the grugeon pin? Hmm, don't know.
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Where did this bit of metal come from? Sun, 07 August 2005 01:30 Go to previous message
well the broken sides probably wont help too much, but that curved impression on it, draw some circles and see how big that section is, like what size circle it was, that might help you guess what it is.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Highly technical! cam cover color !
Next Topic:18RC vs 18RG fuel pump
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 16:06:35 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0090630054473877 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.