Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
birdie
Regular

November 2004
7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 28 July 2005 12:13 Go to next message
Now, I know I alreay have asked about this before but I never got all the answers I wanted. So here goes again Smile

I have a 97 AE102 Corolla Seca Conquest, with a 7AFE.

I'm considering supercharging it using either the 4AGZE S/C (SC12) or the larger SC14. I think both use an electric clutch so I'd use a Hobbs Vacumm switch to turn the S/C on/off.

I'll probably also get the Greddy E-Manage (piggy back ECU) for engine management, to handle the boost and such.

As far as I'm aware, the motor will handle 7psi stock, as that is what the turbo sportivo had.

What do I need to strengthen inside my motor to handle more than 7psi boost?
Crank, rods, and pistons? I was thinking of using 4AGZE pistons, what crank, and rods should I use? Where to get them from?

What injectors should I use?

Anything else I should consider/know?

[Updated on: Sun, 31 July 2005 01:55]

Send a private message to this user    
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Thu, 28 July 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

You might have to re-think the 4agze pistons,

you'll also need custom mounting brakets made for the SC and more than likely the alternator.

You'll need to measure and make custom pulley wheel setup, belt clearances, belt lengths etc

You might have a bit of trouble sourcing 7afe performance internals - for the cost of custom bits and pieces I think its out of your budget

ever thought of just converting to a 4agze? little bit more work but theres always the choice of turbo / serious performance later on ...

I would budget atleast 3grand... its not as straight forward as you'd think
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Thu, 28 July 2005 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Have you done the intake / exhaust side of things already ?

birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Thu, 28 July 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boudan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 22:56

You might have to re-think the 4agze pistons,

you'll also need custom mounting brakets made for the SC and more than likely the alternator.

You'll need to measure and make custom pulley wheel setup, belt clearances, belt lengths etc

You might have a bit of trouble sourcing 7afe performance internals - for the cost of custom bits and pieces I think its out of your budget

ever thought of just converting to a 4agze? little bit more work but theres always the choice of turbo / serious performance later on ...

I would budget atleast 3grand... its not as straight forward as you'd think

Why not use 4AGZE pistons? They will lower the compression, and they were what was suggested when I first asked.

Yeah I realise about the custom mounting of the supercharger and possibly alternator too. I have a mate (owner of Raptor SCs http://www.raptorsc.com.au ) who can help me with the mounting.

Yes, I know there isn't too much around in the way of 7AFE performance parts, but I'm sure there should be some?

I have thought of just converting to a 4agze, but if I could get my 7AFE strengthened up and SC'd I already have an extra 0.2L displacement, and also I don't have to go through all the trouble of doing an engine swap. Though if there is no way to get the 7AFE going good (without spending thousands of dollars), i might have to go that way.

So far budget includes:

SC12: ~$400
Greddy Emanage: $550
Fitting: ~$400
Hobbs Switch: ~$30
Boost Gauge: ~$100
Injectors: ???

And then also depending on how much it costs to strengthen the motor?

I could just run only 7psi, keep stock internals, and just use the above parts. How much power should that give me? It should increase the torque by a fair bit I guess?

boudan wrote on Thu, 28 July 2005 22:59

Have you done the intake / exhaust side of things already ?

No I haven't done anything yet. Why do you ask?
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Fri, 29 July 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was talking to Tim from Raptor SCs again tonight, he recons I'd be better off lowering the compression a bit.

He suggested raising the head 2.0mm and then wind up the boost a bit more.

How much more power would I get by doing this? and how much boost would it be able to handle by lowering the compression (i'm not sure how much by though)?
tim123c
Regular

May 2003
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Fri, 29 July 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quite honestly i think that it would be way too much effort for little gain in the end. If your wanting more power in the form of forced induction, your better off using a small turbo, that way you dont have to worry about finding a place to mount the SC that lines up with the pulleys, or worry about activating the magnetic clutch. Just my opinion, but either way you would have to strengthen the bottom end somehow.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Fri, 29 July 2005 22:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tim123c wrote on Sat, 30 July 2005 00:17

Quite honestly i think that it would be way too much effort for little gain in the end. If your wanting more power in the form of forced induction, your better off using a small turbo, that way you dont have to worry about finding a place to mount the SC that lines up with the pulleys, or worry about activating the magnetic clutch. Just my opinion, but either way you would have to strengthen the bottom end somehow.

Yeah, well that is also an option I guess.

I was reading http://www.turbofast.com.au/mr2.html and he only changed the pistons to 4AGZE pistons and then used custom rods but the standard crank, and was running 18psi, though its lower compression because of the 4AGZE pistons.

Do you think it would be feesable to build a 7AFTE, but using 4AGZE pistons and then stonger rods. I have heard the F head is not actually too bad for boosting.
Quote:

The smaller valve angle could make boost come on at a lower rpm and will make more power for a given amount of air/fuel mixture burned.
Source: http://www.corollaperformance.com/Mods/Engine/7AGE .html

Any idea where to get these custom ARGO rods?
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Sun, 31 July 2005 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump
bennettaru
Regular

July 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Sun, 31 July 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i can sell you a perfect 2nd hand SC14 for under $400

birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 04 August 2005 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok, I was thinking about it.

Could the motor handle 10psi without upgrading any internals? If so I might just run it at that and save the extra money for a body kit or something else Razz

Ok this is the plan so far:
turbo mainfold = B16/18 manifold (about $300 for manifold (off ebay))
turbo = TD04 or T25 (Is it possible to get a TD04 manifold for a B16/18?) ($550 brand new TD04)
ECU = Greedy Emanage? ($550)
Injectors =? What to use here?
Fuel Pump = ? What to use here?
Boost Controller =? (just a basic one so under $200 i think)

exhaust = 2.25" (i guess would need custom) ($???)
pod filter = K&N (about $80)
Boost Gauge = ?? (about $80-100)
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 04 August 2005 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget to factor a good tune into the budget there.

When I was looking at ways to beef up the 7A, the general theme I found was no more than 7psi and definately no higher than 6500rpm. I don't think the rods will take any more than that.
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 04 August 2005 12:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tats wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 22:38

Don't forget to factor a good tune into the budget there.

When I was looking at ways to beef up the 7A, the general theme I found was no more than 7psi and definately no higher than 6500rpm. I don't think the rods will take any more than that.

Yeah I tune as well Smile

Well I've been askng on Twincam.org and 6th Gen Celica www.6gc.net ( http://www.6gc.net/index.php?action=howto&itu= 128 ) and it seems that the rods are fine for 15psi, but the pistons i think were only safe to 12psi.

And I'll be keeping the factory redline of 6250 (rev limiter at 6500).
Tats
Regular

I Supported Toymods

December 2003
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 04 August 2005 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The rods might hold up to boost better than they hold up to over-revving, but between them and the bearings, I think they're usually the first to let go. I've never heard anyone complaining about the pistons....
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Thu, 04 August 2005 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Strange, cause everyone on twincam.org and also club4ag.com have been saying that the pistons are weekest and the rods can handle up to 15psi stock?
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Fri, 05 August 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bump, come on, where are all the knowledable people? I know you are there somewhere.

Simply questions: Can the 7AFE handle 10psi with a decent tune, ie profesionally dyno tuned?
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Fri, 05 August 2005 04:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have heard of stock 4age's getting round with 10 psi easy..adn they run a decent amount more comp than the 7a..
birdie
Regular

November 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Fri, 05 August 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drift86levin wrote on Fri, 05 August 2005 14:24

i have heard of stock 4age's getting round with 10 psi easy..adn they run a decent amount more comp than the 7a..

True but the 4AGE is known to be stronger than the 7AFE, cause its just stronger and cause it has shorter rods.

I have read of the 7AFE running at 12psi ok, but I want to make sure first that it will be safe to run at 10psi Smile
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Fri, 05 August 2005 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but one person might say yes or no..and your engine might have more/less km's on it etc etc..there are heaps of variables..ppl will just say 'in theory it should be fine' but the only way to find out will be to actually do it to your motor..there not expensive to replace anyway..almost any engine can handle 7-8psi..

i didn't think it was possible to run 28psi on an internally stock 4AGZE (changed to turbo) but boy was i convince real quick!!
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Fri, 05 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
speak to sprinterman68..i spoke with him last night..and he is running some farking crazy 4age/7age turbo monster 12 sec hybrid animals..
insalubrity_macca
Regular

September 2004

Re: 7AFE + SC12 or SC14? Or Small Turbo Sat, 06 August 2005 03:18 Go to previous message
like i said on SRC birdie....

blacktop 20v 7agtze Laughing Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1984 Cressida Glxi Parts into a 1984 celica ra65
Next Topic:2t-b wont idle
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 19:40:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073928833007812 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.