Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
icon4.gif  SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 04 August 2005 13:30 Go to next message
I have purchased some lowered springs and and would like to borrow spring clamps so I can remove the oe ones.

or perhaps if somebody is willing to help me fit them on a weekend??? Rolling Eyes

***CAN SUPPLY BEER*** Very Happy

cheers, Brett
ps I am in elwood
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 04 August 2005 22:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude they cost like 20-25 bucks from auto shops
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 05 August 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm 'airy muff then bro, cheers for that. I was more leaning towards the 2nd part of the question, the assistance part of it Smile
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 05 August 2005 18:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can help out if you get stuck.

Really you are best to just take the struts down to a suspension shop to get the springs changed. It takes no time at the shop and will be hours and tears trying to do it at home with Supercheap Auto spring compressors and no rattlegun.

There's a Pedders on the corner of Carlisle St and Brighton Rd, probably walking distance from you. Ask Karl or Andre there for help?

The rears you can probably do without a spring compressor at all.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 06 August 2005 00:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
saves you like 200 dollars though not everyone is lazy Razz and its not complicated

and if you pull the struts out the hard part is done, compress the springs undo one nut and replace the spring

[Updated on: Sat, 06 August 2005 00:10]

TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 06 August 2005 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

saves you like 200 dollars though not everyone is lazy and its not complicated

agreed! I am capable, but I dont have the all the tools. I can grab most of them from work, but dont have access to the clamps like i mentioned. I might just go buy some.

taking the struts out and walking down to the shop wont work 4 me, coz i dont have 2 sets of axle stands/ blocks or a spare vehicle
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 06 August 2005 14:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Sat, 06 August 2005 10:09

saves you like 200 dollars though not everyone is lazy Razz and its not complicated

and if you pull the struts out the hard part is done, compress the springs undo one nut and replace the spring

If you're saying it'd cost $200 to change front springs then you're a sucker. If you can compress the spring and remove the top nut, then it is easy.

But sometimes a life of preload and the initial assembly torque means the shock shaft nut is difficult to remove. If you can't get purchase on the shock shaft to stop it rotating you've got pretty much no hope of getting that nut off without a rattlegun.

Last time I did it I dropped the removed struts at the shop with the new springs, walked over to the bottle shop, walked back and swapped a set of re-springed struts in exchange for a 6 pack. Not even any special 6 pack, just VB ARGH
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 06 August 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

If you're saying it'd cost $200 to change front springs then you're a sucker
Very Happy ....I agree, seemed pretty steep to me too.

maybe i'll just do it at work on a saturday morning. at least they have a rattle gun just in case.

should I be checking/looking to replace any bushes while they're out?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 06 August 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really.
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Mon, 08 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you drop the lower control arm completely you don't even need spring comressors. Just unbolt the steering arm, links and swaybars and the strut will fall outside of the guard and the spring can be removed easily. beware that you have jack under the control arm so it does not spring out and the jack can lower it slowly.
boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Mon, 08 August 2005 21:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That doesn't work well calvin.......bastard. But seriously, when you drop it at the shop they just put the new spring in?!? Sweet.
Thanks
Troy
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Wed, 10 August 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hokey wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 12:24

If you drop the lower control arm completely you don't even need spring comressors. Just unbolt the steering arm, links and swaybars and the strut will fall outside of the guard and the spring can be removed easily. beware that you have jack under the control arm so it does not spring out and the jack can lower it slowly.

That sounds rather dangerious. Everyhthign I've ever read/been toldabout removing springs from macpherson struts says that they should be removed with proper spring compressors. Preloaded springs of a rate to hold up 1/4 of a car can soa LOT of damage.
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Wed, 10 August 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

That sounds rather dangerious
Laughing Laughing piss funny though, wot a great idea..... Rolling Eyes or maybe not.

dont worry, Im not gonna be endangering life or limb. If I dont do it with spring compressors that I buy, I shall wait till my other suspension parts are purchased and do it all at once at a workshop i think
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 11 August 2005 03:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i did my first spring swap, i did it on my own. all i had was someone willing to answer my phone calls with stupid questions.

what car is it btw??
hokey
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 11 August 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 19:26

hokey wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 12:24

That sounds rather dangerious. Everyhthign I've ever read/been toldabout removing springs from macpherson struts says that they should be removed with proper spring compressors. Preloaded springs of a rate to hold up 1/4 of a car can soa LOT of damage.

yeh i know that that is why you put the jack under. or you can just disconnect this stuff while the car is on the ground then slowly jack it up and your spring will come out. however when it comes time to put the spring back in you will need spring compressors or a rattle gun. dunno you might have be really fast with a ratchet Razz
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 11 August 2005 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigben, its ae92 gti
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 11 August 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae92 ya? should be easy. try to get a friend to help u out. speed things up alot faster.
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 12 August 2005 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah thats kinda what I was hoping to get, some help- maybe from someone that already had spring compressors Laughing

Im new to Melb and my work doesnt really allow for too much opportunity to make mates Crying or Very Sad - none of my collegues have a clue about cars so Im pretty fuct!

anybody feel like helping a kiwi..... Embarassed
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 12 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly i just bought some, and i can tell you i never saw any for $20-$30, more like $40 minimum. But maybe they are out there

Repco, $130 or $55
Autobahn - why go there ? lol
Supercheap - $40
East Cost Auto spares - $40 Very Happy

I've just done the front and rear on my Sprinter, ive never attempted before and its a piece of piss! took awhile! but i did it all by hand no rattle gun Sad but its easy all logical helps if you have a mech manual to help if you get stuck Smile had to do the rear twice! cause i put the wrong springs in the 1st time! i got lots lying around couldnt work out which was which lol

GL Smile Just do it yourself save $100+
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 12 August 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah its piss easy, I was just after a loan and/or assistance
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 12 August 2005 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOPDIS wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 23:41

East Cost Auto spares - $40 Very Happy

hehehe Another local...
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Fri, 12 August 2005 17:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol yep where you from? Warranwood myself Smile

TRD: you dont need assistance honestly just pull it all apart and get stuck into, just buy a set from supercheap $40, its fun anyway! a good way to spend a saturday or sunday arvo i reckon Smile and well worth it in the end to see how good your car looks and to drive down that bumpy road just being bounced around in the car cause its on its ass and the shocks are set too fvcking hard! lol

The most headaches i had were installing the whiteline adj frnt swaybar what a cvnt! finishing it all off tomorrow Very Happy
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 13 August 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't forget about the brake line attached to the strut...
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sat, 13 August 2005 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^ indeed what he said! and remember to bleed the brakes when your finished too! lol

Now my Hachi is on its ASS! looks and drives mad like a go-kart now Very Happy
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sun, 14 August 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
btw, rollamods website has detailed instructions on how to change springs. cant remember the exact url
TRD-GTI
Regular

May 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sun, 14 August 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Don't forget about the brake line attached to the strut...
Quote:

indeed what he said! and remember to bleed the brakes when your finished too! lol

hah true, thanks guys. I have done this before.but in NZ with a mate to help and correct tools/ clamps etc. so I dont really need the instructions. cheers Wink
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Sun, 14 August 2005 17:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
KOPDIS wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 03:17

lol yep where you from? Warranwood myself Smile

lol, you're talking about the one on Maroondah Hwy in Ringwood then, you know there's one more yeah? I'm walking distance from the other one.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Mon, 15 August 2005 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ah i see! oh yeah i vaguely remember that there was another one, is that in Croydon?
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: SPRING CLAMPS/ COMPRESSORS WANTED (melb) Thu, 18 August 2005 15:27 Go to previous message
KOPDIS wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 13:50

ah i see! oh yeah i vaguely remember that there was another one, is that in Croydon?

Nup, Murrumbeena.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Problem with my 4A-C .. any ideas?
Next Topic:What would you do???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 13:30:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0087490081787109 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.