Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
icon9.gif  help:bad sound from 4age Wed, 27 July 2005 10:47 Go to next message
hey guys....
i need some help.
ive got a 100kw 4age corolla, and it makes a hiss noise from the engine.
its a very quick noise that is sharp and sounds like gas or hissing.
the noise only happens when accelerating at medium or full throttle and it only happens for a sudden second when the rpm hits around 3800.

and the noise sounds much louder from outside the car

i was thinking it could be an exhaust leak but i only changed the exrator gasket 5000kms ago.
appart from that i dont know what it could be.....

please help me
cheers, daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: help:bad sound from 4age Wed, 27 July 2005 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go outside car with length of hose/poly pipe while someone revs car for you. listen for location of 'sound'.
maybe vacuum feeding the tvis hardware is leaking?
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Wed, 27 July 2005 19:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man, that sounds EXACTLY like the noise i uses to get from my 100kw. Would you say it sounds more like a high pitched metal squealing noise or hissing?

Mine used to happen at ~3800 rpm too just for a half a second or so. I thrashed it for months after i first noticed the noise and never seemed to cause a problem so i wouldn't worry too much.

I only noticed it when on the road (rather than reving) so based on that maybe its related to the engine under load?

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: help:bad sound from 4age Wed, 27 July 2005 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
timing belt?
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Thu, 28 July 2005 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ,
it does sound like a short metal squealing noise. and it happen exactly at 3800rpm.
i have the same issue where the noise can only be heard while driving, not while stationery.

does anybody know what it could be?????

cheers Daniel
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Thu, 28 July 2005 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alternator belt??
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Thu, 28 July 2005 10:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think its a belt of some sort because the noise only happens for bout half a second only when driving. its like a zipping,metalic sound

Cheers
devolutio
Regular

October 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Thu, 28 July 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i get some funny noises, one sounds like a sucking boost noise, the other sounds odd...

should look into it
bayka
Regular

I Supported Toymods

September 2002
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Thu, 28 July 2005 17:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey man, yep im sure we have / had the same problem. I have ZE now, but i had that metal squealing at ~3800rpm on my 100kw for at LEAST 4 months up until i ripped the engine out.

It never caused any noted power loss. ie problem Wink

Do you thrash the crap out of your engine?
If you do, then im sure there will be a plethora of unique mechanical noises that you will have the pleasure of experiencing. After you get through the first few they start to become comforting...and you start to miss them when you are in other peoples cars Smile haha

These 4ag* engines are goddamn bullet proof so i say its not worth the hassle trying to work it out. I was bouncing my 100kw on the limiter 1st , 2nd , 3rd for a whole WEEK just before i did the conversion and it was perfect when we looked over it when out of the car...we seriously couldn't believe it after the punishment its had over the last 2 years...magnificent

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Fri, 29 July 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my engine bay was making a squeeking/squeeling noise when my air con compressor seized...
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: help:bad sound from 4age Sat, 30 July 2005 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have this problem in my Sprinter. Have an AE82 Bigport 86kw engine in, and sometimes when just daily driving around apply throttle its like a small pressure let of or something.. I dont think its anything bad so I dont pay any attention to it anymore..

Its not the alternator belt, I have no Air Compressor.. So you can cross those out.
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Sun, 07 August 2005 06:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the noise is getting worse now....its much louder and distinct now.
the car must sound soo gay 2 other people in other cars and on the footpaths Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad

it now makes the noise at both 2500rpm and 3800rpm even when driving normally.

i seriously feel like a tool every time i drive my car... its so embarasing

anybody know where i can got 4help
any help would be greatly appreciated
cheers
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Sun, 07 August 2005 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mechanic? Razz

have you tried the suggestion in the second post? might help to find exactly where it's coming from...
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Sun, 07 August 2005 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, i cant do that thing with the pipe coz the noise only happens when driving.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Sun, 07 August 2005 18:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if its a hissing sound like what i think it is, wouldnt that be ur air intake noise??

coz i have that hissing sound about 3500 rpm or so and it became much louder after getting a pod filter.

in all honesty i think it sounds cool Razz
KLR16V
Regular

September 2004
Re: help:bad sound from 4age Mon, 08 August 2005 11:25 Go to previous message
nah mate,
its not an intake noise...it sounds like metalic kind of hiss. its like air pressure being expelled from a hose.

btw the noise only hapens for a split second and is really noticeable.... almost like a blow-off valve that sounds really gay and sick.... Embarassed
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:ra40 brakes on a ae86
Next Topic:Fuse box replacement, RA40
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 07:47:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054481029510498 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.