Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ppjj
Newcomer

August 2005
2004 celica paint problems Sun, 07 August 2005 05:25 Go to next message
Hi
I have a red 2004 zr Celica with sportivo body kit which I bought from Maitland Toyota in November last year.

Upon delivery I noticed lumps in the paint in every panel of the body kit as well as chips in the body from the installation of the body kit. The salesman agreed to repair the paint stating that it was dirt under the paint. the overall presentation/detailing of the car was very ordinary, even the window tinting was lumpy and did not go to the edge of the window, I was not overly concerned as this was the second new celica and about the tenth toyota I have purchased without ever experiencing any problems.

After having the body kit resprayed it took about ten seconds to see that it was a different shade of red and contained as much dirt under the paint as before. Now being a little concerned I had discussions with the dealership and it was agreed that the body kit would be replaced with a new one and would be painted by my local spray painter, when I presented the car to the local body shop they expressed concerns about the paint on the body being too thin and of poor quality. With 6000kms on the clock ( it has never been off the tar)it has more chips in the paint than the 95 celica I traded with 170000kms.

By this time Toyota was requested to check the car and a paint assessment was done. Toyota claims the car meets industry standards and will not repair the car or body kit even though the dealer had promised to.

I purchased the sportivo kit because it was genuine toyota and I asked about the quality at the point of purchase and was promised that, to quote their words "we have a guy who does all our work and have never had a problem, it will match perfectly".

I have requested and been promised a copy of the paint report, that was 2 months ago and have not recieved the report.

I now have to take them to the department of fair trading, which is just an inconveniance I don't need.

It is not my intention to bag out the product, I have been accused of suffering from toyota-itus by friends because of my previous ramblings of quality toyota cars, but I have spent $50,000 and the paint quality is inferior to a hyundai and been treated very poorly by both toyota and maitland toyota.

I will never buy another toyota product, which is a bit upsetting a my previous celica was one of the most reliable cars I have ever known and it copped a lot of punishment.

Has anyone heard of any problems experienced by other celica owners, I would really appreciate it if you could let me know.

Cheers

Pete
Mad Mad
Quote:

Quote:

Send a private message to this user    
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: 2004 celica paint problems Sun, 07 August 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i doubt it would be celica specific , you probly just got an apprentice painting it Razz

hope everything works out
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 2004 celica paint problems Sun, 07 August 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
never buy another toyota? nnnnoooooooooo! Laughing

seriously, that's really bad (to put it decently) Confused
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: 2004 celica paint problems Sun, 07 August 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there anywhere you could have got a 3rd party "paint assessment" from.... the guys at toyota probably just looked at it and said yeah its good.

i dont think you should let one incodent stop you from buying toyota's though
ppjj
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: 2004 celica paint problems Sun, 07 August 2005 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have, It is not until you have to go through the process that you understand the difficulties involved, as to date I can not get it in writing even though the verbally bag the car, and hopefully after you come through the hunter valley later this month you can see for yourselfe.

Cheers

Mad Pete

P.S And even if they fixed it tomorrow I would still have reservations about buying another one.
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2004 celica paint problems Mon, 08 August 2005 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like with EVERYTHING, you can go and buy another brand, but you will still possibly face the same problem. For every person who complains, there are thousands that are very happy Smile
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 2004 celica paint problems Mon, 08 August 2005 01:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like the problem lies with whoever made the Sportivo bodykits.
I would just push them to give you the bodykit for a much cheaper price as an unpainted item and then go get it painted by your preferred spraypainter.

Remember that Sportivo stuff is made in Australia and not by Toyota in Japan.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 2004 celica paint problems Mon, 08 August 2005 01:33 Go to previous message
But if the body kit on the car is genuine and fitted at the time of delivery of the car, I can't understand why you are having so much troubles? It seems to me that you got a dodgy painter to do the car. It's not the body paint is it, it's the actual body kit. Bumpers, spoiler, bonnet spoiler and skirts? If that is the case, it's the local painters that stuffed up as the cars that come into the country from Japan don't have body kits fitted to it but are stock, all the body kits are put on at the dealership...

Hope that clears up the problem. With my Celica ZR we have not had any factory paint... So it's the dodgy local paint job...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Upgrade suspension for AE86
Next Topic:Sparking coil
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 04:35:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060958862304688 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.