Toymods » Members Rides » [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin (Updated 16/01/05 now with CF bonnet) Tue, 25 January 2005 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They will look hot when cleaned up

Nice buy.
  Send a private message to this user    
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin (Updated 16/01/05 now with CF bonnet) Tue, 25 January 2005 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dunno what it is about these yokomo cars, but the dimensions just dont look right on the front of the car, i know its only a toy so doesnt really matter

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/RCSprinter%20011.jpg

Those rims will look good with polished lip Smile
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin (Updated 16/01/05 now with CF bonnet) Wed, 26 January 2005 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cleaned up the Heroes already Smile

Wasn't sure about the colour at first, but atleast their not so boring anymore hehe

If anyone in SA wants some old school rims polished/painted etc, I will be happy to do it for them for a small fee, have had a bit of practice by now!

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/greenheroes.jpg
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 26 January 2005 09:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the offset on those rims?

they came up alright, dont like the green tho
SC_Trueno
Regular

December 2004
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 26 January 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice transformation! ADM => JDM good job. anyways what are these rims you got on your levin ? also nice dish.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 26 January 2005 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The offset is +24. They look alot like FWD wheels how the centre sticks out like that, but on the back of the wheel the studs actually sit quite deep.
I have 15mm spacers on the rear. so they won't sit heaps far inside the gaurds hopefully..

The green, was a bit of a joke heh Laughing . The wheels cost me bugger all so I thought I might experiment a little.
I wouldn't have the guts to do that to a decent wheel!

SC_Trueno, cheers! The wheels I have on my car are Enkei-Cross Fever. They are single piece, most of the other Cross-Fever wheels I have been are 2 piece and not as wide. The dish on them isn't huge, but its enough that it makes the car look how it should. Smile

decoyslikecurves
Regular

October 2004
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 09 February 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I ask what size HKS cams you have, and how it affected the motor? Did it change the sound/top end/mid end etc?

Thankyou.
I love you car.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 09 February 2005 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The cams are 256 on degree on intake and exhaust. I would of gone lumpier, but didnt want to take the risk and am kind of glad I didnt.

The sound became louder, and I didnt really like the new exhaust note as it was a bit barky.
I had to get a bigger centre muffler put in to shut it up! Sounds pretty nice now.

Power wise, slight gain up high, but didnt loose any power down low.
Currentely running stock cam timing, so midrange is where it has a nice improvment. Definetely more power than a JDM AE86. Nice punch and it hits the rev limiter very quickly if your not careful.

The downside is that the idle can be very tempremental. Its very dependant on the temperature of the engine and the weather. I have a few things blocked off on the engine which would make this effect a bit worse.

Also...

Update, I bought a pair of SSR Mk1's in 14x7. Can't wait till I get them for some ol' school action.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 13 February 2005 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got myself some boro drift wheels Smile
I love the early SSR style dish, I only wish they were wider and Mk2s instead of Mk1s Sad
One day I will get my hands on some of these...

I was just testing offset fitted fine, I still have to bling them up a bit and fit tyres

But for now:

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/ssrmk1.jpg

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 26 March 2005 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:

LSD is fitted. It is really good. Something I shold of done along time ago.

The 4.1 ratio also is alot more suited to the cams and has made a good improvment to throttle response in third and second gears. Kind of regretting not going for a 4.3 or 4.5, but I wasnt paying stupid money for a gearset that might get smashed anyway..

Few pics from "The Vault"

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/NA1600gorge.JPG

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/blackrears.JPG

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 26 March 2005 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
noice.

aww man i love those skirts
mm
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 26 March 2005 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are the LSD workin vids ? Razz Looks awsome, got a nice collection of rims going there, get out and have some fun with that LSD.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 27 March 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Vids will be up when I actually have some skills Smile

I have one very short vid, when I get time I will upload.

But dont worry, having fun is what I intend to do this cars been treated too well for too long Very Happy
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 06 April 2005 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, about 2 weeks after getting the LSD fitted my slightly enthusiastic driving left the clutch fucked..

Its been in the car since I bought it so I cant be too disapointed.

I just got a new Exedy HD clutch (organic) to replace it. This should be ok for the moment, but down the track I'm probably going to opt for a stronger button clutch.

I also bought a new 3.7kg flywheel to fit from Merridian Motorsport. This is something I've been meaning to buy for a while now so hopefully it should make it a bit more free to rev where she likes to..

They should be fitted by the weekend, and I cant wait Smile

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/clutch.jpg

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/flywheel.jpg

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 06 April 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i can ask

how much for the setup?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Wed, 06 April 2005 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$270 for clutch.
$660 for flywheel.

Probably could of done cheaper if I shopped around... but I was just happy with the 3 day turnaround time that Toby gave me
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Thu, 07 April 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
skaney we want VIDS! Very Happy

also I have a set of wheels that need a sprucing, send me a PM if you are keen for some extra cash and Ill hook u up Very Happy
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 10 April 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, time for some lightened flywheel Myth Busting.

My overall impression = good

Good:
Acceleration greatly improved, shifting to 3rd gear feels like your shifting to 2nd. Throttle response shifting down or mid corner is awesome with the headwork/cams.
Exhaust note also sounds alot less rice and more race.

Also I must add that it doesnt loose power going uphill (infact I found it goes BETTER uphill)

And it certainly doesnt loose any torque (I dont know how this rumour is even logical?)

Bad:
Harder to take off SMOOTHLY. Its not like its an undriveable pig, but if your on a bit of a incline you cant just balance on the clutch like you could normally.
Flywheel is a bit noisy. You can hear it ringing a bit. This doesnt bother me, but to some whingy 50 year old it might Laughing

I am pretty happy with the clutch aswell. Now I can get the wheels to spin changing to second Smile

takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 10 April 2005 14:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mmm, i experienced that lovely change in clutch weights, i think mine all up weighs about the 5.5kg mark, so quite light. But it certainly requires a few more revs to change neatly, and slightly more roughness when hill starting.

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 11 April 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5.5kg including clutch? I think mine may weigh a bit less than that, who did you source it from?

Yeah Its a bit hard if you want to putter around and do the grocerys etc.
But the clutch/flywheel is only part problem, I also have other problems, like a diff that chirps and clunks, and idle that never settles, and a 1001 rattles from the half attatched interior thats soon to be removed..

Thats what I got a daily driver for though Smile
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 11 April 2005 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh, sounds scarily enough like my car. More bumps and rattles than a nursing home full of geriatrics, and the engine is grumpier than a wasp being chased by a bear.
The clutch is the same as you have, and the fly is a 3.4kg Fidanza 3piece Alloy jobbie. So i think yours might be slightly heavier.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bit of an update.

I have stripped out the rear interior, fitted a A-spec rear brace and got some adjustable cam gears which are soon to be fitted.

... but my motor developed a rattle. At first it sounded like a top end problem, like stuffed valve springs, but seeing as the head has been rebuilt twice since I have owned the car I doubted it.
So took the head off, and discovered cylinder 3 has a dodgy piston. Cracked probably.

So my options now are either fitting a smallport bottom end.
Or rebuilding my current block with maybe a slight overbore and oversize pistons.

Im leaning towards the smallport block, as I think it would work really well with my current head and provide some pretty decent power.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the smallport

what do you have to lose??
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 05:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 12:57

go the smallport

what do you have to lose??

lower compression Razz

GO THE SMALL PORT BOTTEM END ! Surprised
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
less compression? wtf?
takai
Forums Junkie

May 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 08:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no, you lose lower compression.....
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
takai wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 18:19

no, you lose lower compression.....

oh right joke. heh. me stoopid. Wink

Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think u still dont get it garth Razz
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 15:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arch wrote on Sun, 29 May 2005 00:57

i think u still dont get it garth Razz

haha. you might be right. haha.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 15:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats a compression?

Laughing
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 15:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its what i do to your mum Wink
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 16:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah nah...thats a depression when joo realize you cannot get it up from too much of da cheeba cheeba Laughing
Matt-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

October 2003

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 28 May 2005 16:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 28 May 2005 15:46

less compression? wtf?

by adding smallport block he is getting more compression, there for, loosing the bigport he is going to loose less compression..
.. i think..
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well if I was to go to smallport I would loose my RWD water outlets, pump etc. Most of it is brand new stuff I only bought a few months back.

Im only going from what I have heard as to how hard it is to fit a smallport bottom end with a bigport head, so I really need someone to give me a hand who knows what their doing before I make that decision.

Does anyone know if you can use the smaller bigport clutch/flywheel with smallport motor?

Higher compression will probably make it all worthwhile in the end though Smile
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u can use all those things with the small port afaik?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 13:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its easy as piss.

you can use your bigport 200mm clutch on the small port no worries. the head will bolt on with no drama's also and since you are useing a bigport head you will retain all your previous coolant passages etc, all you are doing is changing the bottom end.

Drew-AE86 recently did this to his motor and the extra power is a fair gain!
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds good.
So the RWD water pump and the outlets will bolt onto the FWD config? No need for remote thermostat etc?

I reckon I'll be buying a smallport motor asap then.

Did Drew weld up the oil hole on the block that apparentely exists?
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant remember what he did (because he didnt do anything at all. steve did) so best bet would be to ask him
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 13:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running bigport clutch on my smallport.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sun, 29 May 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Arch, I didnt want to have to get rid of my flywheel, I love it Smile
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Sat, 25 June 2005 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
update time..

I bought a Smallport block with the plan to get it rebuilt. Upon stripping it though it was found that the Crankshaft in this new block was cracked in half..
But I have a new crank coming from Toby Hunt (thanks heaps)

I will also be fitting a decent sized oil cooler when I fit the engine back up.

This should be running again in a few weeks if all goes to plan.

On a side note: I have found a decent importer of wheels from Yahoo Auctions, so it is only a matter of time before I have a wide set of 15's ordered.

I currentely have a bid on a set of 4 15x8 -19 Work Equip 01's. And I am hoping to get these as I'm a big fan of 4 spokes..

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
who is this importer you speak of?

also how do u polish your rims?
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
company name is JDMimports

I found he is willing to place a bid without a deposit, which saves alot of going around in circles which is why I have given up on getting wheels imported many times before.

I just use a light sand and autosol to polish wheels.
The exception being my Enkeis which were professionally done.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dude i see your car at the local drift comps.it really
stands out always liked ,sweet ride man wish mine was that
nice.

just curios where you got your front lip from?

cheers dave
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah its always parked at the drift comps...
I want it out on the track though Confused

Front lip is from Streeter by Streeter, based on the N2 Lip.
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 11:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much , i want one
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant remember how much exactly.. $180 maybe?
ae86dave
Regular

May 2005
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do they make these or is it a one off thing
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin Mon, 27 June 2005 12:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im pretty sure he stocks them.

Talk to Truenosedan he is SA distributor for his products.
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Sun, 07 August 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Update:

After a bit of stuffing around got the new engine setup running quite smoothly.
Currentely running it in so cant really comment on power. With retarded ignition timing and standard cam timing it still feels like it has a fair bit more poke compared to a standard smallport.

Basic run down of what I have done:

Rebuilt 7 rib block.
30 thou oversize 100kw pistons.
Balanced crank and rods.
Fitted the 100kw oil drain with a welsh plug
Got the head cleaned and shaved slightly more.
New engine mounts, all gaskets, rubbers etc changed.
Large aftermarket oil cooler using a sandwhich plate.
Adjustable cam gears to be fitted once its ready for a dyno run.

Only problems I have encountered so far is the starter has a bit of a hard time cranking the motor over. I dont think it likes the extra compression and the 3.7kg flywheel.

Has any one else had similar problems or have any suggestions for an upgraded starter motor?

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Sun, 07 August 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yeah, pics will be up soon after I upload them.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Mon, 08 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get the AE92 reduction type starter motor more killaawatt cranking power

the std 4ag ae86 motors are rubbush for hicomp engines.

also another option is a 1GGTE starter (very popular in japan)

to run one you will need an adaptor plate to fit it,, luckily enough i have one here i was using for 3 weeks before the shitty starter i bought popped,, a techno pro spirit item (nice and anodised green ricey ricey Wink )

it was 6300 yen (80 bucks) before shipping i ended up paying $120 bucks for the adaptor to my door

its also got a busted 1ggte starter attached to if you wanna have a go at reco'ing it... whole lot for $150 + ship to ade if your intersted.

hachi-man
Regular

July 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Mon, 08 August 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you should hurry the hell up with those pix man Wink

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 05:08]

Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Mon, 08 August 2005 10:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have a AE92 starter here that I tried, didnt work but I think its stuffed.

I was actually thinking about a 1G starter conversion,so im pretty interested in that. Just a bit worried about finding a good condition starter for it though.

pics will be soon, dont have access to my home pc right now.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Mon, 08 August 2005 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if you want my adaptor its yours for $90 bucks posted Smile
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Tue, 09 August 2005 11:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok here are a few pics:

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/blockinlet.jpg

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/blockex.jpg

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/pistons.jpg

http://wtljkane.customer.netspace.net.au/camgears.JPG

domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Wed, 10 August 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where did u get that sandwich plate for your oil cooler? my 20v has this type with this arm sticking downwards which fouls my engine mount, yours would be a perfect fit, im pretty sure the plates are interchangable between 4A's casue the one i have is a stock one from an AE92.

thanks
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Wed, 10 August 2005 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It came with the oil cooler in a kit. But I think you can by them seperate. Has a Thermostat in it, alot of aftermarket ones dont.
I got it through Dr. Drift.
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Wed, 10 August 2005 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good i dont have a coolier either so how much did u pay for the whole lot?

thanks

is Dr. Drift on these forums?

thanks
Skaney
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: [AE86] Skaney's Levin - Now with hybrid 4AG Wed, 10 August 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
Whole kit was $180 inc hoses, fittings and the cooler.
Look for him on nissansilvia.com
Pages (3): [ «  <  1  2  3  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Harold the hardtop ke55 !!! new wheels!!!
Next Topic:1982 Toyota Celica 1G-GTE
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 11:51:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.011204957962036 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.