Regular

May 2005
4age big port and small port Sat, 06 August 2005 14:51 Go to next message
how can you tell if it's a small port or big port? 4age 16v engine
  Send a private message to this user    
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4age big port and small port Sat, 06 August 2005 14:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Google Phil Bradshaw's site.
September_Squall
Forums Junkie

March 2005
Re: 4age big port and small port Sat, 06 August 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.google.com.au/search?hl=en&q=phil+b radshaw&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

First search result.

[Updated on: Sat, 06 August 2005 15:02]

xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Sat, 06 August 2005 15:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most obvious and normal cases is the TVIS plate on the intake plenum.

The lettering on the bigport sprocket cover is usually blue, whilst the lettering on the smallport is red (these can be changed easy but!)

The smallport usually has this piece of hard plastic that covers the spark plug leads between the two sprocket covers.

The distributors between these two are also different.

Injectors are also different.

blah that's all I can think of at the moment.

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Sun, 07 August 2005 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
later model aw11's 4age's are bigports with red writing
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age big port and small port Sun, 07 August 2005 09:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the aw11 7 rib bigport has red and black writing on the inlet cam cover, whereas the later smallport has only red writing on the inlet cam cover.
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Sun, 07 August 2005 18:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigports have TVIS written on the plenum and smallport doesnt.
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Sun, 07 August 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigports have 8 yes, 8 runners to the head..as apposed to the normal 4..internally there is a fair bit different..eg cranks are different, pistons are diff, the block is different, basically the smallport is a better/stronger build of the early modles (bigports), not that there is much wrong with a bigport..

slydar
Regular

December 2003
Re: 4age big port and small port Mon, 08 August 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the external crank case breather hose from the block to the head is the easyest way to tell
on the intake side at the back, small pots have it, big ports dont.

rubber hose that joins from the block to the head.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 4age big port and small port Mon, 08 August 2005 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually.. the easiest way is to MEASURE THE FRICKIN PORTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
b1gb3n
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

June 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Mon, 08 August 2005 09:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the easiest way is to learn how to read. bigports have TVIS written on the plenum
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Mon, 08 August 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 18:15

Laughing yeah right...

Razz
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Wed, 10 August 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 18:50

the aw11 7 rib bigport has red and black writing on the inlet cam cover, whereas the later smallport has only red writing on the inlet cam cover.

So does this mean I have a small port or a big port? I always thought it was a small port as it's an AE93 (1990) non TVIS mapped sensed engine with red and black lettering on the cams
cnic82
Regular

January 2005
Re: 4age big port and small port Wed, 10 August 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got a bigport with red lettering on the cam cover, its out of a jap spec ae92 and it has the same bottom end as a small port
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age big port and small port Wed, 10 August 2005 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the writing on your inlet cam cover all 'red' or 'red and black'?
my aw11's 7 rib bigport 4age has 'red and black' writing on the inlet cam cover and has the exact same internals as a bigport 4agze apart from the pistons.

Quote:

So does this mean I have a small port or a big port? I always thought it was a small port as it's an AE93 (1990) non TVIS mapped sensed engine with red and black lettering on the cams

interesting, i've only come across the 'red and black' writing 4age as a bigport t-vis engine. as far as i know the non t-vis 4age would/should have all red writing.

Quote:

the easiest way is to learn how to read. bigports have TVIS written on the plenum

yeah.
Quote:

haha.. hell yeah.

Quote:

bigports have 8 yes, 8 runners to the head..as apposed to the normal 4..internally there is a fair bit different..eg cranks are different, pistons are diff, the block is different, basically the smallport is a better/stronger build of the early modles (bigports), not that there is much wrong with a bigport..

not intirely right dude, there are bigport 4age's that have the same crank, block, rods as the later smallport engine.
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: 4age big port and small port Wed, 10 August 2005 14:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 22:56

Quote:

interesting, i've only come across the 'red and black' writing 4age as a bigport t-vis engine. as far as i know the non t-vis 4age would/should have all red writing.

My bad, it's a small port.

I miss read it being red writing only on the inlet cam cover - the writing on my inlet cam is all red while my exhaust cam cover is black.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 4age big port and small port Wed, 10 August 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
don't just judge on it based by the colouring!

first of all look at the plenum. is there a square slot for a badge saying tvis?

yes? - take alook at the block see how many ribs there is.
if 3 = bigport
if 7 w/ tvis written = later spec bigport

no? - does the plenum have small ribbed like lines on it?
- are the spark plugs hidden behind a cover?
- is the coil a flatbox sitting near the rocker cover?

if yes, then you've got the smallport.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 4age big port and small port Thu, 11 August 2005 09:46 Go to previous message
Quote:

don't just judge on it based by the colouring!

true in a way, the colour writing on the cam cover was (and sometimes still is) as good indication of what engine you have. but i spose now they are getting on in age you cannot be 100% that someone hasnt swapped heads or painted the cam covers etc.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2s in an 86 Corona auto
Next Topic:stupidity but is it bad???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 14:32:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058519840240479 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.