Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 06:20 Go to next message
Coming home a few days ago on King Georges Rd, an MR2 Spyder has been sitting behind me since the Silverwater on-ramp off Victoria Rd. Interested in a bit of spirited driving he wizzes up my back door, I get away from him fairly quickly and he catches up to me on Concord Rd (I think?) at the cross of Albert St. The driver turns out to be a Toyota salesperson, and his mate in the passenger seat is still dumbfounded from me leaving them behind on Silverwater Rd. The driver asks me what I've got in it, I tell him it's a third-gen 3S-GTE... he says it would probably blow him away, but I'm not so sure.

What kind of engine does the MR2 Spyder have on board? Is it a fourth-gen 3S engine? Regardless, power-to-weight ratio he'd have me for breakfast if he wanted to. Rolling Eyes

Anyway, I told him and his mate to check out this site, since I don't believe we have any MR2 Spyder's on here yet... or do we??
  Send a private message to this user    
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nope the mr2s's are girls car 1zzfe or whateevr it is 100kw motor the same thats in the bog stock corolla's, very slow
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 09:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're kidding... you mean the MR2 has been relegated to a 1.8L VVT-i engine making no more than about 148hp? Surprised That engine they also put in the RAV4's in Singapore. I would have thought a newer MR2 would have had a larger displacement than 1.8L... Confused
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no they have the 2zzfe i think its callesd, its a 140kw engine as seen in the sportivo, 5th gear did a test on them a few years back and tried to see if they could get missle lock from an apache gunship.. it failed these cars are like go carts!!! handling is awesome, -900kg car
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It looked like an agile little beast, but when he tried to step me up a gear, my boost came on quicker. Very Happy Razz
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wasn't that a lotus?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 09:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 19:19

no they have the 2zzfe i think its callesd, its a 140kw engine as seen in the sportivo, 5th gear did a test on them a few years back and tried to see if they could get missle lock from an apache gunship.. it failed these cars are like go carts!!! handling is awesome, -900kg car

no its not they have the 103kw motor, they have never had the 140kw sportivo motor thats in the lotus elise and exige but not the mr2
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The MR2 Spyder has an unforgettable bite. All-alloy in-line twin-cam VVT-i 4 cylinder 1.8 litre engine, 103kW of power, 170Nm of torque, clutchless 6 speed sequential manual transmission, steering wheel E-shift (and floor mounted short-throw gear lever), limited slip diff, front and rear MacPherson strut suspension with ball joint mounted stabiliser bars, aggressive aerodynamics, front and side air intake scoops, 15” front alloys, 16” rear alloys, 185 front tyres, and 215 rear tyres… Twice the excitement, and there’s no antidote!
take from www.toyota.com.au now stop spraying shity, they are gutless wonders
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 09 June 2005 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lotus elise arr thats it sorry take that back
thu187
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 10 June 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 21:17

lotus elise arr thats it sorry take that back

coincedentally the lotus uses a 140kw (well 147) Toyota engine as well Razz
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 10 June 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They do now..... they had Rover 4 pot engines up until a few years ago.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 10 June 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try up until last year or the start of this year Evil or Very Mad
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Tue, 14 June 2005 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a recammed , re ecued 2zz - Im keen to see if they are any better to drive than the 2zz celica/spoertivo - lower revs to get on cam hopefully will = a more exciting package
Alchemist
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Wed, 15 June 2005 13:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Over overseas Spypders got the 2ZZGE, very not fair. They killed a perfectly good sports car(although they do handle like a dream).
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 17 June 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2zz is an awesome engine when tuned!
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 17 June 2005 14:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alchemist wrote on Wed, 15 June 2005 23:31

Over overseas Spypders got the 2ZZGE, very not fair. They killed a perfectly good sports car(although they do handle like a dream).

Nothing wrong with the 1ZZ Razz In a light MR2 i'm sure they'd be a pretty decent engine, especially since they're also connected to a 6 speed gearbox...

Lets see, 3SGE = 103Kw while 1ZZFE = 100Kw, not much difference there, and with a lighter body they wouldn't need so much torque. My pet hate is the bloody rev limiter in the 1ZZ Mad

[Updated on: Fri, 17 June 2005 14:38]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sat, 18 June 2005 00:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but thats a sequential six speed that sux the big one
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sat, 18 June 2005 23:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 16:25

nope the mr2s's are girls car 1zzfe or whateevr it is 100kw motor the same thats in the bog stock corolla's, very slow

Each to his own !

Personally I would rather a slow MR2 Spyder than a 20+ year old
Grandpas car Corona with a boat anchor for a motor that couldn't out run a Postie Bike Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Sat, 18 June 2005 23:53]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sun, 19 June 2005 00:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mate i guarentee you that i'd rather drive my car then be called a poof hairdresser for driving the mr2, and let me assure you it will cane any postie bike you throw against it and most small hatches on the road today, torque is the key and it has more than most hatches per kilogram can imagine.
And well lets see its my first car that i bought 2 years ago for 2K. Hmmm the mr2 is worth another 40K on that, i wonder why its a better car. And guess what as we speak i am saving and by the ewnd of this year i'll own a car that would serve the mr2 soft arse to it.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sun, 19 June 2005 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all poofs are hairdressers. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Hell I've met accountants , doctors, bank managers, mechanics,
Corona drivers the list goes on !

You just gotta know where to look!

Takin the piss there matey !
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sun, 19 June 2005 00:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah no prob, i'm also probably a little to big to comfortably fit in an Mr2 to hehe, 90kg 6 foot tall, but fairly long legs for my height. I have nothing really against the mr2 except the fact it was a huge leap backwards from the sw20, no wonder it doesn't sell.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sun, 19 June 2005 00:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
agreed !

The 3SGE is a ball tearer of a motor.

The new MR2 has gone soft : Semi Auto gearbox, no turbo option and they don't look as cool IMO.

That RAVGT4 should wipe it's nose and send it home!

Cheers
T
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sun, 19 June 2005 11:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Conquest wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 00:38

Nothing wrong with the 1ZZ Razz In a light MR2 i'm sure they'd be a pretty decent engine, especially since they're also connected to a 6 speed gearbox...

Lets see, 3SGE = 103Kw while 1ZZFE = 100Kw, not much difference there, and with a lighter body they wouldn't need so much torque. My pet hate is the bloody rev limiter in the 1ZZ Mad

That's fair enough but the last of the 3SGE powered MR2's sold in Australia had 128KW. The current model 3SGE's are making closer to 140.

The spider is a really good car, it handles awesome and is usefully quick. The problem is that we only get the sequential box and Toyota choose not to put the 2ZZ in them. If Toyota Australia sold the spider with a 2ZZ and real 6 speed I'd be in a lot more debt than I am now.
ralyrt
Newcomer

June 2005
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Tue, 28 June 2005 14:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(Over overseas Spypders got the 2ZZGE, very not fair)
no they didnt
toyota never put this as an option
its just are pupular swap
just as wat im doing
Buggy
Occasional Poster

August 2004

Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Fri, 01 July 2005 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Fri, 17 June 2005 22:21

2zz is an awesome engine when tuned!

An MR2 would be an absolute rocket will a well tuned 2zz. I have a 2zz Celica and it goes awesome, I just did my last dyno tune and I got 130.4 Kw @ wheels and thats with bolt ons only.
Conquest
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sat, 02 July 2005 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Thu, 09 June 2005 19:19

Just saw that video the other day, a streaming link is available from topgear;

http://www.bbc.co.uk/topgear/downloads

Back on topic I didn't realise that it's not a true 6-speed nor that the later 3SGE's had so much power Embarassed

Anyway I found this link a while ago while researching the 1ZZ-FE Mr.Two Meets Mr.Horsepower

After adding a turbocharger to the MR2 Spyder, with no internal modifications & conservative boost they managed 175Kw, higher boost gave even more power. Though i'd hate to see how long that engine lasted...

[Updated on: Sat, 02 July 2005 12:22]

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Wed, 06 July 2005 06:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kerb Weight (kg) 1035-1070
Gross Vehicle Mass (kg) 1240
taken from www.toyota.com.au hardly the lightweight you think it is
olihaub
Regular

July 2004
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Mon, 08 August 2005 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=Conquest wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 00:38]

My pet hate is the bloody rev limiter in the 1ZZ Mad

thats for sure my mums got a corolla 2004 and that bloody rev limmiter is the biggest kill joy
its so sudden and and as soon as u hit redline or maybe a smiggen below it
hamgatan
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sat, 20 August 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Sun, 19 June 2005 19:04

Conquest wrote on Sat, 18 June 2005 00:38

That's fair enough but the last of the 3SGE powered MR2's sold in Australia had 128KW. The current model 3SGE's are making closer to 140.

The spider is a really good car, it handles awesome and is usefully quick. The problem is that we only get the sequential box and Toyota choose not to put the 2ZZ in them. If Toyota Australia sold the spider with a 2ZZ and real 6 speed I'd be in a lot more debt than I am now.

does that mean my gen 3 in my 97 bathurst edition is 128kw?
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Sat, 20 August 2005 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you'll find its 129kw actually but meh Very Happy
IronWanker
Occasional Poster

December 2004
Re: RAV4 meets MR2 Spyder Thu, 01 December 2005 07:38 Go to previous message
I want to see a 3SGTE transplant into a Spyder. The engine wouldn't weigh much more, and there's no need for VCT with the right turbo charger - that's why Mitsubishi, who've had the technology for over a decade(the mivec 1.6 out of the "cyborg" kicks our 20V@130kw), have only just implemented it in the 4G63.

Then again, citing mitsubishi as an example of good strategy is a bad idea *mutters*
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Post your 0-100 and 1/4 mile times
Next Topic:1jz 1/4 mile times
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Mar 28 09:58:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067679882049561 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.