Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Quick way to strip paint off car.

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 10:20 Go to next message
Just spent some time taking a TA22 back to bare metal.

Found a product that worked! Cool

Available from hardware stores, and Super Cheap.

"Quick Strip", is a 115mm abrasive nylon mesh wheel which fits to an 4" angle grinder. The structure is very much like an over coarse scotch brite pad, or a scaled down version of the pads used on the industrial floor polishing machines.

There were 10 layers of paint on the car!! different colours, interspersed with primer and hi fill. Razz

I had started with the traditional 60 grit sanding discs on a 12" ingle grinder, but the paint kept clogging on the disc. Even adjusting the speed was ineffective. (No I did not try the discs with gravel glued to the surface. Helped a guy once, who had used just that, it took 3 applications of hi fill and sanding to fill in the canyons !!!) Shocked Shocked

The "Quick Strip" was the BIZ.

4 hours and 3 "Quick Strip" discs later, and the roof and rear quarters are done! Laughing

cheers Chuck.

Send a private message to this user    
cri_ag
Regular

August 2002
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thats what my pannel beater mate uses except he puts the things in a die-grinder. the pads actualy last quite a while considering the work they are doing, but you still have to be controled as they will definatley damage your body work if you get too excited.
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 10:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good find! Im going down the acid dip/sand blasting option next time as once was enough for me and my sanding career Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 20:52

Good find! Im going down the acid dip/sand blasting option next time as once was enough for me and my sanding career Very Happy

What are you going to do to the car after you get it dipped? We have just had an old shell dipped for experimentation. The car is now fucked because the acid/chemicals remove all paint and factory seam sealer!
So in all the rails and seams all protection has been removed Confused
riceburna73
Forums Junkie

April 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 20:59

riceburna73 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 20:52

What are you going to do to the car after you get it dipped? We have just had an old shell dipped for experimentation. The car is now fucked because the acid/chemicals remove all paint and factory seam sealer!
So in all the rails and seams all protection has been removed Confused

Just the removable panels,front guards,bootlid,bonnet,and mabye doors.Not really sure mate, a friend of a friend works in a pretty high profile spray shop so im just going to leave all that stuff to him,ill just get the things ready how he wants and then let him sort it out from there.Mind you this is a long way down the track as id prefer to enjoy the car with its shitty paintlob for a while and not have to worry about too many cosmetic aspects of the car..
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be very careful with the doors and bonnet as these have seam sealer between the two sections. If the sealer is removed you wont be able to get anything in there to protect the bare metal.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Those discs are magic on paint, but do rip up real quick on underseal though. Did the floorpan of my car with a wire wheel and a few of those disc, the wire wheel was far slower and harder work but the discs were too expensive to do the whole thing.

Callum
Jezza
Regular

June 2002
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Sun, 07 August 2005 22:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
acid dipping is always a problem as there are places in the car you just cannot repaint to protect from rusting in the future

yes its nice to do, and u know any rust is completely gone, but.....is it worth worry of future rust?
styler
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah came to the same conclusion too on acid dipping, apparently you can get them to do some process that leaves a protective film as one of the last steps. still all the sealer will be gone and i think lots of crap gets stuck in impossible to reach places too.
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 01:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
While i was at TAFE years ago, my teacher got his XP ute done, using crushed up walnut shells, instead of the grit. Took the old paint straight off, left no marks or dents in the body work, i know this because we file finished the bloody thing, lol. But for me, sand blasting with some fine grit will do, the next time i'm doing a complete rebuild and Jezza i could be looking at you for a donor car, in the near future (TA22).

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 01:47]

boofis
Regular

December 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey
Have you guys tried chemical stripper? You go throught he discs so quickly if you ask me. Chemical stripper is the stuff! And how much does it cost to get acid dipped? I'm thinking just the frnt little panel...hmmm. Alrighty!
Thanks
Troy
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 11:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've fould the Quick Strip to be good myself. It does wear out quickly on bog and underbody seal though.

Bog I just used the wire brush on the drill.

Underbody I used a heatgun and scraper. Then used degreaser and scotch pad on the leftover gunge. Took it straight off.

4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
brake fluid Laughing Laughing Laughing
chrisellis
Forums Junkie

May 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sand blasting with baking soda, anyone tried it? i heard it was the best.
Freddy510
Newcomer

July 2005
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 14:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw the baking soda method on "Rides" on cable telly. The "Elenor" (spelling?) Mustang episode. Rips off paint, bog, etc and no damage to the metal.
Freddy
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Mon, 08 August 2005 22:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Baking Soda does work and doesn't warp panels - it doesn't generate the heat of other media. Problem is you need bomb loads of the stuff and you can't recycle it.

Garnet is used here with lower pressure at the gun. They usually do several passes to get it done. It gets less abrasive with each pass as all the sharp edges are knocked off the media.

I got quoted $1200 to strip the shell of all paint (inside and out) and get it back completely etch primed. Place is in Sydney and website is below.

http://www.envirostrip.com.au
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Quick way to strip paint off car. Tue, 09 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous message
Walnut shells do an exceptional job of stripping paint. They also have a huge plus, walnut shells leave an oily residue behind, which is great, if the car is not to be painted straight away.

Wheat was also used, however the static build up, has lead to a decline in its use.

One of the latest methods, is PMB (Plastic Media Bead) real expensive though.

One company that advertised that they used PMB, quickly changed their story, when I offerred to buy some bead, apparently it is 4 times the cost of walnut shell, which is actually what they use.

Paint stripper is a pain in the ass, and I will never use that shit again.

cheers Chuck.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Tightening a Crank Bolt?
Next Topic:1J stock coil packs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 23:09:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045480728149414 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.