Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 06:11 Go to next message
Just a thought - are fibreglass body panels (i.e. bonnet, or guards) more dangerious to pedestrians or occupants in an accident? I'm thinking along the lines of it cracking rather than bending like metal panels do.
  Send a private message to this user    
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AFAIK that's why they are illegal in QLD.
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer probably but i really dont see much of a difference although there must be a reason weather u get hit by metal or glass at 60k's an hour ur in big trouble
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 06:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
carbon fibre bad
fibreglass not so bad, but..

cars are designed (especially those that had to pass crash tests) with the bending panels absorbing a lot of energy and increasing rigidity in an accident. changing them to easily breakable fibreglass reduces YOUR safety.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 06:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 16:46

carbon fibre bad
fibreglass not so bad, but..

cars are designed (especially those that had to pass crash tests) with the bending panels absorbing a lot of energy and increasing rigidity in an accident. changing them to easily breakable fibreglass reduces YOUR safety.

Exactly my thoughts, thanks.
Jimmy19650
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 07:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FRP stands for fibre reinforced plastic. The fibre can be glass, carbon, kevlar, boron, hessian, hemp or even hair. The plastic can be any type of plastic resin. The plastic is purely to orientate the fibres and to provide things like colour, waterproof object and bulk. The plastic resin has little effect on the final strength of the finished product.

Carbon-low impact strength, high tensile strength, will shatter on impact which makes it dangerous to pedestrians

Fiberglass-will flex a bit more wont shatter as easily, but can still be dangerous to pedestrians

Kevlar-very good impact strength, they make bullet proof vest out of this stuff, however, the tensile strength not as good as carbon.

Then we have a range of different resins that can be used-polyester, vinyl ester and epoxy resin. There is also lots of different way of curing these resins which also affects the final characteristics of the finished product.

The problem the authorities have with FRP panels is there is no quality control in the panels which can result in a huge variation in strengths between different manufacturers.

Another problem is that a lot of panels are welded in and are stressed members. When people replace stressed steel panels with FRP, it creates a whole new set of problems that cannot be predicted. This also affects the rigidity of the entire vehicle.

Newer vehicles also use their panels as crumple zones, where the properties and shape of the components are designed to provide consistent and predictable rates of deformation and energy absorption. Add a FRP panel into the equation with its different rate of deformation and energy absorption, and the huge differences between manufacturers, and we have a lot of manufacturers and authorities who arent happy and nervous of the effect these aftermarket panels will have on the characteristics of their vehicles.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well put Smile

simply FRP panels are not illegal as such.. remember many cars come with frp panels from factory.. the issue is that just like any other modification you need to show that it meets appropriate laws and standards. now to show that your aftermaket body panels meet crash saftey standards both for the crashee and crasher you will most likley require destructive testing.. not something most people want to do to their nice new carbon fibre hood Razz
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for a start, he did ask for fibreglass Razz

and secondly, they are illegal for any car which must meet crash standards AS A MODIFICATION

very few cars have fibreglass or FRP panels from factory

in fact the only one i can think of quickly is the M3/M5 i saw at the motor show..and maybe the EVO's? some cars have alloy, but not many have FRP...

meh, use em for the track, but not for the road.. the 4 or 5 kg you save (maybe) is 3/5ths of fuckall anyway Razz
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 08:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 16:13

in fact the only one i can think of quickly is the M3/M5 i saw at the motor show..and maybe the EVO's? some cars have alloy, but not many have FRP...

The roof of the CSL is actually carbon fibre, and some of the panels are aluminium Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 08:27]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
justcallmefrank wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 18:17

oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 16:13

The roof of the CSL is actually carbon fibre, and some of the panels are aluminium Razz

LOL, i could only think of the shiny roof Razz.. and the way the guards wouldn't let us jump in Wink.. i just assumed the bonnet was also Cool

so what cars have FRP from factory? EVO?
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all corvettes since 1953 and entierly fibreglass they changed over to another composite material during the early 90's but still a plastic type material.

then there are plently of exotics that are carbon fibre body based.
4agte
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 09:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 18:13

for a start, he did ask for fibreglass Razz

and secondly, they are illegal for any car which must meet crash standards AS A MODIFICATION

very few cars have fibreglass or FRP panels from factory

meh, use em for the track, but not for the road.. the 4 or 5 kg you save (maybe) is 3/5ths of fuckall anyway Razz

the gze aw11 mr2 has a fiberglass engine lid from the factory and is alot lighter than the steel one about 1/3rd of the weight.

edit: also the lotus europa in the 60s-70s had its complete body shell made out of fiberglass

[Updated on: Mon, 08 August 2005 09:57]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Actually most older cars, TA up to RA, the AE86 can legally have glass guards as they have nothing to do with crumple.
TA22 and 23 can have glass doors aswell as there was no crumple testing back then.
bantech
Regular

September 2004
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The front guards on the Nissan X-Trail are also plastic.
Jimmy19650
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
most of the replies people have posted are spot on.
Most Lotus cars are FRP. I have had to repair at least one of each. Lotus 7, Elan (many different variants), Europa, Elise, exige, Esprit, then we have all the lotus 7 copies from westfield, PRB, etc. Apparently some Volvo had FRP guards, we have all the VW beetle kit cars as well as the celica and datsun bolt on kits. Yes, there is also the Corvettes which were probably the best FRP cars to work with and lots of late model BMW, Porche and Ferraris that use FRP panels in many different places for different reasons.

At the end of the day, if the vehicle needs to meet a particular crash test requirement, then the vehicle needs to remain in that condition. If it is modified, crashed and someone is injured, then the person responsible for the modification will be held liable for damage. That could lead to serious charges if there is a fatality. All this can be avoided if you spend the mega bucks to go through the crash test process.

Technically, an FRP seat that does not have an ADR sticker on it can void any insurance for the vehicle in an accident. So all the seats made in back yards can end up costing a lot more in an accident. I am not suggesting that people who make their own seats dont get it right, (most seats I have seen that are made in back yards are much better than what you can buy, they just havent been certified)
Although this is still a very grey area, a replacement FRP front bar on a car equiped with air bags and crumple zones(most if not all new cars) can void insurance because the air bag sensors and crumple zones may not behave as per the original design of the vehicle.

I suppose any modification that you make on a car, particularly a modern car, can lead to legal ramifications that need to be checked by someone who knows what they are talking about, like an engineer. An engineers signature may be expensive at first, but cheap compared to a court case.
Windex
Regular

June 2005
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
berad wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 16:45

yer probably but i really dont see much of a difference although there must be a reason weather u get hit by metal or glass at 60k's an hour ur in big trouble

Yeah so true... same with bullbars isnt it? Smile
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Fibreglass body panels more dangerious in accidents? Mon, 08 August 2005 15:53 Go to previous message
very good reading hear....! so yeah would my 1998 celica (st162) front and rear bar are plastic (moulded) if i go and add some fibreglass and etc and that to make my own bodykits this should all good....like hardly anyone going to fuck you up for it if it is cause very tom, dick and harry got a fibreglass body fit!...anyways the r34 gt-r v-spec II N1 got a Carbon fibre bonnet as stocko for the N1!

NEzza Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Gen 3 3SGE questions
Next Topic:4agze boost maybe?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:13:44 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0052111148834229 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.