Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Tightening a Crank Bolt?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Tightening a Crank Bolt? Mon, 08 August 2005 23:57 Go to next message
Hey All,

How do you tighten a crank bolt to 250lbft without having a fear of snapping a tooth from the ring gear? I don't have access to a air compressor and the engine is out of the car?

Any ideas would be great.
  Send a private message to this user    
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 00:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might be wrong... but isnt a torque wrench needed here??
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 00:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
other than a SST that hooks onto the crank pulley for that specific purpose theres no real other option other than putting chain through the holes in a flex plate and securing it.

got a spare flex plate u can use that u dont have to worry about breaking?
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And does it really need to be done upto 250lbft?

I mean, what if you want to get it undone again in the future Razz

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 01:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just wedge a screw driver in flywheel teeth, dob of loctite, and tighten it as much as I can.
Viper_III
Regular

March 2005
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just tighten it as much as you can.

once the engine is running, it will slightly tighten the bolt up anyway.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
havabeer wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 10:22

i might be wrong... but isnt a torque wrench needed here??

Yeah... But it's hard to find a torque wrench that goes up to that specification (there is no point in buying one as I'm only going to use it once)... Mine only goes up to 150 foot pounds... Um... I might just get a mate to bring his air compressor and rattle gun and a bit of locktite should do it shouldn't it? I just don't want the sucker to fall off...

Thanks.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 01:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just wedge a screwdriver in one of the flywheel teeth, and use loctite if you're worried. Personally I'd just do it up as tight as you can get it with a fair size breaker bar.

There's going to be less force on the outside of the flywheel, to what you're applying to the crank pulley bolt when you consider leverage.. I'd imagine?
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When tightening crank bolts, to stop the crank from rotating, use a length of chain. Use the chain between a bolt in the flywheel where the pressure plate will bolt up, and another bolt in the top of the block, where a bell housing bolt will later be installed.

If you have a torque wrench, there should have been a calculation page in the owners manual. From there, you should be able to calculate the length of bar required, and the force required to torque to the desired tension.

In your case, a 250 ft long bar with 1lb of weight on the end, Laughing Laughing

Extrapolate that to a bar of 2 ft, and a force of 125lbs.

Get on the bathroom scales, and see how much you, or your mate way. Wink

cheers Chuck.
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ChuckLandwehr wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 13:02

When tightening crank bolts, to stop the crank from rotating, use a length of chain. Use the chain between a bolt in the flywheel where the pressure plate will bolt up, and another bolt in the top of the block, where a bell housing bolt will later be installed.

Doesn't help much if the motor is in the car.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 15:05

ChuckLandwehr wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 13:02

Doesn't help much if the motor is in the car.

Solution, convert to manual Wink

Cheers
Wilbo
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a manual, if it is the car, select 1st gear, pull handbrake on. Starts swinging, if your clutch slips at 250ftlbs it time for a new one.

For an auto, whip off the lower inspection plate at the bellhousing, and place a bar between the lightening holes in the flex plate, and the bellhousing, start swinging.

cheers Chuck.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fill one cyinder with water/oil.. easy.
ChuckLandwehr
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 08:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 16:48

fill one cyinder with water/oil.. easy.

Jas. you are a legend Laughing Laughing
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Tightening a Crank Bolt? Tue, 09 August 2005 09:49 Go to previous message
we had to do this to a honduh, after my mate tried to crack off the crank pulley bolt using spanner and starter motor.....

honduh motors spin backwards, but the crank pulley bolt is not reversed Wink bugger....

you may get a little bit of water going into sump, but not enough to be of concern, and it sure as hell stops the motor spinning around.. to remove said water, remove spark plug and turn over the motor by hand..

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz problems?
Next Topic:Quick way to strip paint off car.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 12:10:53 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005033016204834 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.