Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Body and Interior » FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 03:07 Go to next message
Hi Guys,

I have spoken to Ken and we will have the rear fibreglass hatches available in 2 weeks. These will be bare with no WING at this point in time.

We will be retailing these for $475.00 + shipping.

Please contact me for more details on visionr@iinet.net.au or 040 300 3131

Regards

Wei

[Updated on: Fri, 05 August 2005 03:09]

Send a private message to this user    
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 09:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
VERY VERY INTERSTED!
Finally sum1 has made them. Been waiting for this for a while.

I'd like to see a few pics first.
And does it have the threaded holes to bolt to the car?
And wat about the lock latch at the bottom, does it hav it?
Any idea on total wieght?

How much is shipping to Melboure for 1?

Cheers. Smile
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 09:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quite interested Laughing

*god im a wanker, im not supposed to be spending cash*

would like to see the finish of them but Smile
StockAE86
Regular

July 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also interested as u already know
would want the above questions answered first also

Cheers
Shtock
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hope it turns out good, mmm but what about the weight of the window, I know carbon can support it but what about figreglass?
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would you be able to supply lexan rear windows for them too? Plus an image on how they will look, weight and will they use the original latch or do you need special latches?
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Fri, 05 August 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think they would have designed it with the weight of glass in mind. Wink

But thats no corcern for me as perspex is all i'm gonna use. Very Happy

AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Sun, 07 August 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the rear hatches,

Its probably best to use perpex/lexan. That will be whati will be running on my car. I will need to double check if it can be used with the glass which im pretty sure it SHOULD be able to.

With the latches, struts etc, I will need to double check and confirm with you guys when they finally gets produced. Their are in the process of finally getting moulded.

i wlil get pics asap.

Regards

WEi
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Sun, 07 August 2005 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im interested only if there are threaded mounting holes for the struts, hinges and catch to hold it down

if so can we order them with a wing grafted to the back?
monkeymajik
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Sun, 07 August 2005 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All the weight in the hatch is in the glass...

But ditto what ae86drift said.
GTV AE86
Regular

June 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Sun, 07 August 2005 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A wing grafted to the back would be a very good idea.
DRFTAE86
Regular

May 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Mon, 08 August 2005 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Any1 know the weight of a stock hatch with out the glass?
Any1 know the weight of the glass alone?

Just wanna know what sort of weight can be saved getting a frp hatch and perspex glass. Wink
Jimmy19650
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Mon, 08 August 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all,

I have been making FRP hatches for sprinters for a while. A glass reinforced hatch will weigh about 5-6kg (including glass)depending on thickness of glass reinforcement. This will save you about 4kg over a standard hatch. A carbon hatch will weigh about 3-4kg and will save about 5-6kg over standard. Most of the weight is in the glass, but unfortunately, I have been informed that lexan or perspex is illegal for rego. You need to remember that an FRP product needs to be thicker for the same rigity as steel unless you use carbon, lots of shape, or sandwich laminates. The weights I have quoted is for a hatch that is of similar strength and rigidity as the standard one. You can of course not worry about strength and stiffness and make a very light hatch that will probably crack or pop the glass out.

Realistically, there are only 3 advantages for using FRP hatches,

1. No rust
2. Readily available (if you have a mould)
3. Easy to mould wings vents etc into.

There is no great weight saving between an FRP hatch and a steel hatch if you are using the original glass. Most of the weight saving is in the wiper motors, struts etc.
Jimmy19650
Occasional Poster

May 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Mon, 08 August 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry,

A bare hatch without glass, motors etc weighs about 8kg

The equivalent hatch in fiberglass, without glass weighs 5-6kg (not with glass as I incorrectly mentioned)

The equivalent hatch in carbon without glass weighs about 3-4kg. I have seen hatches as light as 1.2kg in carbon but they were vaccuum formed in an autoclave using prepregs. Very expensive.

The biggest weight saving is in FRP doors. Carbon doors can save about 42kg for both and glass reinforced doors can save you just over 20kg for both. However, there is a legal question over these with intrusion bars, glass vs lexan/perspex windows etc.

Sometimes, what you save in weight for panels, you need to add in reinforcement such as extra bars for driver protection or for added chassis rigidity.
AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Tue, 09 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys,

we still looking on track at about 2 weeks for hatches to be produced.

Everything will be bolt on. There will be threaded holes to mount back your struts. There will be a plate embeded/threaded into the frp hatch to mount your latch back on, there will be all the clips, threaded holes to mount your hinges, it will be basically you buying a standard frp hatch which bolts of and on the car.

This is the info I got from Ken, I will keep you guys in formed, they may be slightly cheaper to. Will confirm once we a few made up and see the end product.

Cheers

Wei
Bobski
Regular

I Supported Toymods

May 2004
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Tue, 09 August 2005 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you going to have these in stock in perth at all? Also where would one get those clips people mount on the sides of the car to hold the hatch down from?

very interested pending more info

Adam
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Thu, 11 August 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the glass weigh by itself?

so when u say Ken who is he?
AE86T
Forums Junkie

Forums sponsor

August 2002
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Thu, 11 August 2005 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can get those clips/bucklest from most common races shops, i think rev revolution racegear or shops like that should have them...not too hard to get hold of.

I may be holding stock on few of these in perth, just depends how well they go. I can get these organised for anybody as well around australia.

Best to wait and see until they are completed.

Ken streeter from streeter by streeter in QLD who does all the FRp products for many makes and models.

The glass weighs quite abit as i recently took my glass outta my hatch, its makes the hatch reall heavy, the hatch without the glass is fairly light.

Regards

WEi
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Thu, 11 August 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeter eh? I thought so

I wonder if this will have the same poor fitting, excessivly thin contruction as the rest of his products I have heard about. I am not going near this so long as his name is on it.
AE86Trader
Regular

January 2005
Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Wed, 17 August 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
streeter well Mr Ken NEVER delivers ontime (if he delivers at all) If you can get the guy in NZ to deliver he makes DAM good part his name is 'focker' on "garage dori" forum.

Plus streeter parts are SH!T when it comes to fitting. just have a look at all his kits in the flesh after they are installed.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: FS: Fibreglass Rear bare hatches for AE86 No Wing Wed, 17 August 2005 06:23 Go to previous message
the insult is that he claims his kits are the most flexable on the market, which he says is good because of scrapes and stuff, what that means in english is that he has cut corners and has had made his kits really thin saving fiberglass it seems.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cressida-all MX83 stuff.pre90.Red.
Next Topic:Fs: small round type driving lights
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue Apr 16 08:21:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069050788879395 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.