Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 05:40 Go to next message
When I give my car a bit of boost (say above 7 or 8Psi), it starts chewing through the oil. With the current oil I have (10W/50 Synth), it hardly makes any signs that it's actually burning or consuming oil. Now we're moving out of the cool months and back into slightly warmer weather, I will change my oil for a thicker viscosity (like 10W/30 or something similar). My question is, will a thicker oil viscosity give out any signs that it's being consumed, over a thinner viscosity oil?

The reason why it's being consumed is that the ring gaps/clearances aren't right on the Arias pistons for a 3S-GTE. I'm not the only one with a 3S-GTE and Arias pistons with this problem either. Rolling Eyes
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How many litres/1000 km is it burning ?

Thicker oil shouldn't burn as much as thin oil
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 15:40

When I give my car a bit of boost (say above 7 or 8Psi), it starts chewing through the oil. With the current oil I have (10W/50 Synth), it hardly makes any signs that it's actually burning or consuming oil. Now we're moving out of the cool months and back into slightly warmer weather, I will change my oil for a thicker viscosity (like 10W/30 or something similar). My question is, will a thicker oil viscosity give out any signs that it's being consumed, over a thinner viscosity oil?

The reason why it's being consumed is that the ring gaps/clearances aren't right on the Arias pistons for a 3S-GTE. I'm not the only one with a 3S-GTE and Arias pistons with this problem either. Rolling Eyes

10W30 is thinner Wink but anyway Razz

could this be related to running too cold? not expansion happening etc? did that get sorted yet?

what were the rings gapped to? the oil control rings should still be controlling the oil...

all oil should give signs of being consumed, but it may only be a hint of smoke that you can only see when following the car, not from in the drivers seat. thicker and thinner should still have similar signs.. they aren't that different really...

RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWDCelica wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 16:44

How many litres/1000 km is it burning ?

Ummm, good question. Not 100% sure. It depends on how heavy my right foot is on the gas... Embarassed

Quote:

Thicker oil shouldn't burn as much as thin oil

I guess that's a good thing then. Rolling Eyes Wink
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 16:53

10W30 is thinner Wink

d'oh! Embarassed What viscosity would be a good one to use for a 3S-GTE in the warmer months?

Quote:

could this be related to running too cold? not expansion happening etc? did that get sorted yet?

I guess this could be a contributing factor... I only noticed this happening AFTER the head was rebuilt and the car was running cold, but I didn't notice any signs of consumption before this... good point. Wink

Quote:

what were the rings gapped to?

Not sure, I wasn't involved with that side of it.

Quote:

all oil should give signs of being consumed, but it may only be a hint of smoke that you can only see when following the car, not from in the drivers seat. thicker and thinner should still have similar signs.. they aren't that different really...

Well, sometimes when my MAP sensor is stuffing up on me, and the bitch runs at about 45°C, I can see a fair bit more exhaust smoke coming out behind me. If the MAP isn't acting up on me, it seems to be ok, can't see any visible signs of oil consumption, although I've been told once by someone behind me that I was putting out a bit of smoke, but I attributed this to the engine running rich. Rolling Eyes
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 07:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would seriously be trying to get the temperature issues properly sorted. If the engine isn't up to temp, nothing will be sealing as it should.

Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 07:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10W/30 is thinner than 10W/50.
You should be running a 50 weight oil (e.g. 10W/50) all year round in the 3SGTE.

Thicker oil (e.g. 10W/60) will probably decrease the amount of oil slipping past your rings, turbo seals or valve stem seals, however, using thicker oil to mask these problems is just a band-aid approach and may lead to bigger problems in the future.

In your case I would say that you still haven't bedded in the rings properly.
You should have used a mineral oil to run in your engine... is this what you ran?
With a decent oil in a properly run in engine in good working order you should be able to go from one oil change to the next without having to top it up at all.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Also I have heard many people say that the rings included with most Arias piston sets need a really rough hone to get them to bed in properly... it is possible that your engine builder did a fairly fine hone and this is causing you problems.
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Tue, 09 August 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have the arias pistons and rings, and have been using 10W/30 oil since rebuild. I don't have the above oil burning problems at all (that i can see anyways - also confirmed by cars following me)

If that helps any. Ill be switch to a 5W/40 oil once i goto synth.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 17:17

10W/30 is thinner than 10W/50.
You should be running a 50 weight oil (e.g. 10W/50) all year round in the 3SGTE.

Thicker oil (e.g. 10W/60) will probably decrease the amount of oil slipping past your rings, turbo seals or valve stem seals, however, using thicker oil to mask these problems is just a band-aid approach and may lead to bigger problems in the future.

In your case I would say that you still haven't bedded in the rings properly.
You should have used a mineral oil to run in your engine... is this what you ran?
With a decent oil in a properly run in engine in good working order you should be able to go from one oil change to the next without having to top it up at all.

Thanks Toobs, I used Valvoline SAE-30 Monograde for the first two oil changes, then went to Synthetic.

I'll get the temp issues sorted out when I can.. Confused
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:28

I'll get the temp issues sorted out when I can.. Confused

Good idea, I wouldn't worry about any of the other issues you're having until you sort that out, chances are it's the source of most of them.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Tue, 09 August 2005 17:06

10W30 is thinner Wink

d'oh! Embarassed What viscosity would be a good one to use for a 3S-GTE in the warmer months?

it says 10-30w on my mr2 on the back of my driver side visor.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 07:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep if your ECU thinks your engine is only 45deg then it would probably be running uber rich all the time.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 07:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:32

10W30 is thinner Wink

Is your MR2 JDM?
If you've still got the owners manual you will see the oil viscosity chart recommends about a 50 weight oil for our climate.
Obviously Japan & Europe have colder climates than us.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:32

Yep if your ECU thinks your engine is only 45deg then it would probably be running uber rich all the time.

which will wash the oil off the bores and lead to higher oil consumption!! it may not be noticeable becuase it's half dissolved in oil and a very small amount.. but a small amount every stroke is a lot..

with my 4K, going from uber rich carb to EFI, i suddenly stopped using oil Wink

methinks we are onto a winner here...
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 07:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Toobs wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:35

SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:32

10W30 is thinner Wink

Is your MR2 JDM?
If you've still got the owners manual you will see the oil viscosity chart recommends about a 50 weight oil for our climate.
Obviously Japan & Europe have colder climates than us.

yeah its jdm. i've been using 10/30w in winter which seems fine. but will change to 50w in 2 months
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 15:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Most of the time it depends on what the outside air temp is as well, considering I'm driving in peak hour traffic 95% of the time... for instance, tonight the coolant didn't get above 58°C and two nights ago when it was a little warmer, it went to 65°C. Same driving, same route, same traffic.

It's only when the stupid MAP sensor is acting up that it goes to the REAL low temps (like sub-50°C). Confused

Also FYI Toobs, Dominator did the work on the block (honing).
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe you just haven't been thrashing it hard enough then... your rings aren't going to bed in while your driving miss daisy! Very Happy
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 22:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew once again we share the same issues my car is oil hungry! but its all dependand on how much i put my foot down also! boost = oil consumption, how much i have no idea i have tried a variety of thin to thicker oils and not much works for me.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
andrew once again we share the same issues my car is oil hungry! but its all dependand on how much i put my foot down also! boost = oil consumption, how much i have no idea i have tried a variety of thin to thicker oils and not much works for me.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Wed, 10 August 2005 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RAV-GT4 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 01:18

Most of the time it depends on what the outside air temp is as well, considering I'm driving in peak hour traffic 95% of the time... for instance, tonight the coolant didn't get above 58°C and two nights ago when it was a little warmer, it went to 65°C. Same driving, same route, same traffic.

It's only when the stupid MAP sensor is acting up that it goes to the REAL low temps (like sub-50°C). Confused

Andrew - Have you got a thermostat in there at all? When I drove my new engine over to the turbo workshop It only stayed at 30-40deg.

Well atleast your driving your car now. I remember your car being at Belgarage last year
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Fri, 12 August 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 09:21

RAV-GT4 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 01:18

Andrew - Have you got a thermostat in there at all? When I drove my new engine over to the turbo workshop It only stayed at 30-40deg.

Well atleast your driving your car now. I remember your car being at Belgarage last year

Yeah guys, it's almost been on the road a year since the conversion. And been rebuilt twice since then... Confused Yes mine does have a thermostat in there, the TRD 71°C which cost an arm and a leg. I'm thinking of sticking the old 82°C one back in instead, see if it works instead of giving me this much grief. Sad
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Fri, 12 August 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aren't your thermofans on all the time also? I'd be trying to fix that too.
RAV-GT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Fri, 12 August 2005 10:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes the (permo-fans) are on all the time. Confused I'll be grabbing a new coolant temp switch from Toyota soon, getting that installed and rigging up the new fan onto that switch. Nod That will hopefully give me a little more peace of mind about the radiator coolant. Smile
-==L=a=N=c=E==-
Forums Junkie

January 2004
Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Sat, 20 August 2005 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just checked my oil levels, and sure enough, i have the same 'oil burning' as rav-gt4 is getting. I've gone thru 1/4 the dipstick since i last topped the car up (and that also includes the oil used by the filter).

It isn't blowing smoke.
There is oil in the intake.
There isn't any oil leak on the pavement (save the power steering pump).

I went over all the clearances, and the overly larger 35thou clearance for the pistons i believe is the culprit.

As i was talking to spectral to it, and it makes an evil kind of sense. As forged pistons expand more then cast pistons do. So cold engine oil consumption must be right up there.

Should i be worrying about it? no not really. Just means i have to properly warm the car up otherwise its just gonna keep sucking down the oil.

Just my 2.2c's worth. Correct me if i wrong (please don't, i don't like un explained oil use.... Sad)
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Oil viscosities and Consumption Sat, 20 August 2005 05:14 Go to previous message
I still don't think your engine is run in properly Rav... chuck in another bottle of Valvoline "running in oil" and don't drive around like a girl this time!
Get those rings bedded in!!!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ vac/map + my crushed car
Next Topic:What cars came with what box? (W5*)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:24:33 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055820941925049 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.