Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » stupidity but is it bad???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 00:55 Go to next message
guys i very stupidly toped my starlet up with trans oil rather then engine oil i did this because i couldnt see it was dark... i only know because i could smell it. I put about 1/2 a L in there or just a little more is this a bad thing what can and will happen, yes i will change the oil but i cant do this until the weekend and i cant not drive the car so will it be sweet till the weekend? I dont see it doing anything that normal oil wont, just a bit thicker thats all??? but am i just being dilisonal? help!
  Send a private message to this user    
NeoNasty
Regular

August 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 05:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah mate. that is bad.

I am not sure exactly what will happen, but you can assume it will not be good. Change it ASAP. It will only take about 30 mins. I really recomend doing that before driving anywhere.

GL with it though.
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can i ask how you mistook transmission fluid for engine oil?
did you not have a light or anything at all on and not notice the different type of lids?
edit: i stand corrected it is alright to stil drive it but still change it asap

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 02:42]

Henn
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's not good, but I'm sure you worked that out yourself. I however am much more optimistic than the above two posters. I am amazed at the indestructibility of most engines and I doubt 500ml of trans fluid (which is a form of oil anyway) will have much effect in a 4litre sump of normal oil.

Sure if you were going to be racing it in Paris-Dakar then that'd be one thing, but a few days of daily driving should be fine.

Hen
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 07:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Transmission oil or transmission fluid?

If oil, I wouldn't be too concerned - just a bit light on soap for engines is all.

If fluid (the thin, red stuff for auto transmissions), that might be a bit more serious, but its is still only 12.5% of the sumps volume (assuming 4 litre sump). In a Starlet round the city for a few days, I don't think I'd be too worried either.
EVOSTi
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      no
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it will be fine, only half a litre. having said that it takes only 10 mins to change it so i would.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
assuming you get it all out it should be fine really
allencr
Regular

May 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Tue, 09 August 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it's fine, don't do anything out of the ordinary about it.
if you used something that had no lubricating properties at all, or wasn't petroleum based, like water or linseed oil, then I'd be worried & dump it ASAP.

also, if you were already experimenting with a straight 60, and then added some 100 something gear oil, then it's time to thin it out.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Wed, 10 August 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats why i asked because i cant change it till the weekend. I have full time work, and the tafe at night, then when i get home i live in units there fore there is not much light for where i can change the oil at night anyway. (minimal light and no power points) + i dont really wanna get under a car at 10pm at night! so long as she is ok till the weekend then all is fine.
cheers for the replys
Meat_rack
Regular

December 2004
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Wed, 10 August 2005 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Transmission oil and fluid is the same thing. It wont go soapy.. that only happens if it mixed with water. If it is a small amount dont stress because your motor will be fine.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Wed, 10 August 2005 09:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
drain it before you drive it. atleast when someone ask you what you engine stall converter cuts in you can say 7500rpm!lol
or you could call your engine a turbo 350!lol or tell them its had a shift kit fitted inside the motor!lol or tell them you added the tranny fluid cause you have heavy duty valvebodies!lol or you could fit a B&M shifter to the rocker covers!oh i could go on and on.
mick
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Wed, 10 August 2005 23:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Meat_rack wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:38

Transmission oil and fluid is the same thing.

Sorry, but not so...

Transmission fluid is thin, red stuff (eg Dexron III) for automatics.
Transmission (gearbox) oil is thicker, brown stuff (eg Castrol Syntrax 75W-90) for manuals and diffs etc.

You can use fluid in a manual if you want to, but I don't think oil would go too well in an auto!

A small amount of either should do little harm in an engine, but I think oil would be a preferable mistake to fluid.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Thu, 11 August 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My thoughts on the naming of gearbox / transmission oil / fluid.
Transmission Fluid - Light weight Auto gearbox lube. Has the Dexron-III series of ratings.
Transmission Oil - Medium weight Auto gearbox lube as used in larger pieces of machinery e.g. earthmoving machinery. Has the TO series of API ratings.
Gearbox Oil - As used in manual gearboxes. Has the API GL series of ratings.

You see the API ratings actually have meaning behind them... e.g.
GL = Gear Lube
TO = Transmission Oil
CI = Compression Ignition (Diesel)
SL = I don't know... Sump Lube?
The second letter on the petrol oils increases when they create a new rating method (e.g. SF, SG, SJ, SL) unlike the others which just get a number whacked after them (e.g. GL-4, GL-5)

Anyways regardless of which one you put in you should change your oil ASAP.
Crankcase lube has a totally different additive package to auto trans lube and the additives in your auto trans lube could knock out some of the important parts of the crankcase lube's additive package.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Thu, 11 August 2005 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You should be able to run the car just fine in the short term, but as toobs said, the additives could go whack - meaning that if you run it hard (ie raise the oil temperature) your oil could unduly lose viscosity (thin out). Just drive gently and change the oil as soon as possible!
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Thu, 11 August 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I recall a mate being advised to run some ATF in his engine as a dodgy quick fix for a blown engine, so he could sell it, but the condition was that he sell it FAST, as this was detramental to an already quite rooted engine.
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doing this weekend saturday.

im not too worried though its only a 97 starlet motors cost not that much! + it does not get thrashed its quite babied, i thrash the mr2 not the poor little starlet. thanks for the advice, this will teach me to look in light before i do stupid things
Ribfeast
Forums Junkie

March 2005

Re: stupidity but is it bad??? Thu, 11 August 2005 07:24 Go to previous message
Some people even use the stuff to clean their engine out, as a sort of engine oil flush, less harsh than using kerosene. Shouldn't harm it if you only put that much in, just change it within the next week.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4age big port and small port
Next Topic:rust ... how to deal with it
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 01:38:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054759979248047 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.