Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 09:13 Go to next message
Hello All. I have just joined this site after buying myself an '84 MA61 (Manual, silver paint with blue/grey interior and it's the model with all the power stuff and sunroof in case anyone is curious)

After driving an Auto VS Commodore (my dads) for the last 2 years I am loving it but the car has a few issues that need work.

For the moment I need:

-New front brake flex lines
-Driveshaft centre bearing
-front left outer tie rod
-2 new tyres
-rear shock bushings

I also want a new diff or diff centre.

If any other MA61 owners or other forums members could suggest some good places to source the parts from, it would be a huge help as the prices around here are not good ($265 EACH for replacement Eagers which are the only tyre they can get!!!)

Alternatively If anyone here has the parts I can pay cash or swap for other MA61 spares. I have many assorted spares which came with the car including some interior trim panels, spare sunroof, wheel centre caps, AC condenser+Facia, AFM's and much more.....Suffice to say I have more spares than can fit in a single MA61 if you are after some rare Item chances are I will have it so don't hesitate to ask me about it.

BTW I am Located at Bega in far south east NSW (halfway between Syd and Melb)
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice, you got the sunroof version.
Quite rare.

You still have the 5M-E though Razz

Search high and low on this site.
I'd confidently say EVERYTHING MA61 related is covered.

There is even a tyre thread about 10 thread below this one.

Welcome
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for your feedback Cruzida, I am aware of the tyre thread and am currently in the process of reading all other MA61 threads, I was actually hoping for other MA61 owners to post their sources for buying parts so that I can carry out further enquiries of my own.

It would also be great if anyone who knows could tell me how much I should reasonably expect to pay for the parts I have listed

I was also hoping some forum members might have these parts lying around

At least give me some places I can quote prices from to show the local guys that their markups are ridiculous

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 10:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
New brake lines can come from any auto store
PBR make them, or Protek, I think.
MA61 front brake lines are in 2 parts. Body to strut and strut to caliper.
Each half will be about $20-$30 each.

New driveshaft centre bearing can be gotten at most autopart stores, or any bearing shop.
Not sure whether the shaft has to be rebalanced after installation though.

Front left outer tierod can be gotten at any autoparts store.
Probably in the vicinity of $50, don't quote me though.

Tyres you know.

Rear shock bushings come with new shocks, or alternatively most Nolathane companies make them (SuperPro, Noltec, Lovells etc)

And lastly
http://cygnusx1.net/supra/library/TSRM_MKII
The Bible.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 15:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome Surprised And show us some piccies of your car on the MA61 enthusiasts thread. It needs reviving anyways...

Yian
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 19:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm too drunk too reply Sad

But welcome to the ma61 owners club!!!

I'll will hopefully pm you regrading interior pieces when i sober up Smile

Any info/questions/etc, dont hesistate to put into the ma61 dedicated thread.

Cheers wif teh booze,
James.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 23:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drop a 2JZ innit.
Supra6
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 28 July 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$265 for Eagers!? I best price i was quoted was $160 each F&B'd for 225/60R14. Although i live in Melbourne i still think you can get a better price...
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 01:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
welcome... Very Happy u got an MA61 the same colours as mine (exterior: silver and Interior: blue !!!)
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 01:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Supra6 wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 09:53

$265 for Eagers!? I best price i was quoted was $160 each F&B'd for 225/60R14. Although i live in Melbourne i still think you can get a better price...

Yer thats a little expensive. Unless there is only 1 tyre place where you live, shop around.

And Supra6, check out the Vic section and come to a meet sometime.
bbaacchhyy
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Welcome, and just get the inevitable done. Ditch the 5M-E in favour of any number of better engines !!!!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fark, at that price drive to melb/syd/canberra and get some tyres fitted there Smile

with the rear shocks, just get some new shocks. I'm assuming yours are 21 years old, and probably time you got some new ones Smile
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Fri, 29 July 2005 12:51

with the rear shocks, just get some new shocks. I'm assuming yours are 21 years old, and probably time you got some new ones Smile

Shocked 21 year old shock Sad
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh don't be too alarmed, i replaced my 19 year old ones last year after 40500km the front oem oil filled struts had no rebound woot.
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 03:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HAHA Laughing i changed 21 year old shocks and the valves inside where stuffed and they pretty much did the same thing!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 29 July 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I changed mine and they spat out oil everywhere. The fact they had no rebound whatsoever was to be expected Razz Needless to say, car handles a lot better.
Supra6
Occasional Poster

September 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Mon, 01 August 2005 01:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, your right - i don't get out as much as i should. I was at the Classic Celica Show back in March though... but haven't been out since then.
170bhp
Regular

January 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 02 August 2005 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just dynoed a ma70 supra 3ltr auto, pod filter and exhaust, 141kw at the wheels.
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 02 August 2005 03:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
170bhp wrote on Tue, 02 August 2005 13:04

just dynoed a ma70 supra 3ltr auto, pod filter and exhaust, 141kw at the wheels.

Eh? Whats that gotta do with this thread?
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Wed, 03 August 2005 15:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey again everyone and thanks for the info, I haven't been able to check the progress of this thread for a few days and there have been a few responses.

To the people suggesting to "get a 2jz" or similar, If I had that kind of cash I probably wouldn't have got the Ma61, which I plan to drive (with the 5ME) until I get more funds, for the moment though, my priority is getting the car as good as I can mechanically, then worry about the new engine and paint job.

I was suprised however after hearing so many bad reports about the 5ME that my car can keep up with my Dads '97 VS Commodore (Auto)in a straight line, which is still pretty slow I know but is pretty good for and '84 model 2.8 vs a '97 model 3.8.

I will try to post some photo's of my car soon. It looks good as in digital pics but not so great in real life at the moment heheh.
Spence
Regular

January 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 04 August 2005 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i look forward to seeing the pics and welcome. Smile
Hirogen
Forums Junkie

July 2002
      WTF is a jabber?
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Fri, 05 August 2005 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
#Fiend# wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 01:54

To the people suggesting to "get a 2jz" or similar, If I had that kind of cash I probably wouldn't have got the Ma61

Aww thats a little disconcerting. So not really a fan of the MA61, more its just what you could afford then? Not that I suppose theres anything wrong with that.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sat, 06 August 2005 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the MA61, it's just if I had the money for a 2JZ conversion straight up and wanted a really fast car I just couldn't resist an RX7.

rest assured I am a toyota fan though, first car was a '79 corolla and it was my favourite car I have driven until I got the MA61 (other cars I have owned were for practical reasons)

I think if I won a million dollars, I would keep the MA61 and make it into a fast but comfortable daily driver and get an REALLY fast RX7 for weekend etc.....then again a porche 930 turbo would be tempting lol

I chose the MA61 because I was origanally after another '75-'80ish corolla which I planned to do up gradually into a tarmac rally style rolla. After looking around at prices I found that they are now getting hard to find (except for ones with chassis rust)and the ones that are in good condidtion are owned by people who appreciate them and don't want to sell.

When I saw my MA61 for sale at a good price I decided to start off with a decent handling car with a good interior, now that I have it though I like it more than I thought I would and can't belive how ahead of it's time it seems compared to some newer cars.
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sat, 06 August 2005 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I too have just joined the ranks of MA61 owners. I still need to travel interstate to pick it up, but the car is as good as mine.

Ive always wanted one of these things since I first test drove one about 10 years ago, but I couldn't sell my car at the time to buy it.

now the saving for engine conversion and paint begins Very Happy
TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sun, 07 August 2005 01:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol nice one mate still the 1jz/1uz swap?
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sun, 07 August 2005 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
#Fiend# wrote on Thu, 04 August 2005 01:54

...To the people suggesting to "get a 2jz" or similar, If I had that kind of cash I probably wouldn't have got the Ma61, which I plan to drive (with the 5ME) until I get more funds, for the moment though, my priority is getting the car as good as I can mechanically, then worry about the new engine and paint job...

What ever you do... DON'T SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON THE 5ME. I know this from personal experence as many Melbourne owners can vouch for this.

Good luck on your endeavor in fixing the 5ME...
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sun, 07 August 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD_Supra wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 11:21

lol nice one mate still the 1jz/1uz swap?

Yep probably 1jz or 1uz but anything decent ( and Toyota ) for the right price will be considered, as long as its manual, even the 2jzge has a fair bit of go.

Wont be for a while though, handling and stopping is first, then the power.

Luckily the engine was recoed a few years back so it should hold on for some time and I wont be forced into a swap earlier than I have planned.

Cheers
ViPeR_NiPPleX
Forums Junkie

July 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sun, 07 August 2005 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 12:03

DON'T SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON THE 5ME

That is good advice.

To all still retaining the 5m-e, drop the oil out of your engine and rev the tits out of it until it blows up. Then you shall be safe.
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Sun, 07 August 2005 15:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ViPeR_NiPPleX wrote on Mon, 08 August 2005 00:15

ZZT231 wrote on Sun, 07 August 2005 12:03

DON'T SPEND A LOT OF MONEY ON THE 5ME

That is good advice.

To all still retaining the 5m-e, drop the oil out of your engine and rev the tits out of it until it blows up. Then you shall be safe.

Don't blow it up Sad just spend money on the 5ME just don't go overboard as it's not a bad engine of it's day, but not a good one in comparison to modern engines.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never said I was going to spend any money on the 5M-E, I'll probably just drive it until it either dies or I have enough$$$ for a conversion.

As I said earlier though, it's not like the 5M-E is as bad as everyone here seems to think, you have all obviously never driven any other '81 model engines of similar capacity.

It's also better IMO than the shitty Camry engine in my mates '93 celica SX, which cost considerably more than my car.

If you've ever driven and old early 80's commodore six you'll know what I'm talking about.

That said, I am not claiming that the 5M-E is a peformance engine of any kind, but I doub't I'll be dropping in a 2jz with a big single either.

I can't undersatnd why some people seem to think it's unnaceptable to even drive the car with the 5ME, I've only had the car about a month for chrissakes!! I also don't think I need 400hp at the wheels to have fun (245/50's and rwd handling let me keep up with all the ricers around here anyway even with the standard motor and if I wanna go sideways there are plenty of dirt roads around)

My long term plan is to get whatever engine I decide (after researching) is the best base for an (N/A) project to increase power to about 190-220hp at the flywheel

My reasoning for this is to avoid the extra cost and complextity (and maintenence) of a turbo set up, and also avoid destroying the driveline all the time as I want the car as a daily driver.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 09:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope, even the Camry engine in the Celica can hold a candle to the 5ME with an easy 100kW versus teh 103kW 5ME.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Outright maximum KW output is not everything the (comparitively) torquey 5M feels much more sporty to me than the camry motor (on the road they are almost even with the celica getting a better start due to lower gear ratio (and less shagged diff) but the MA61 slowly pulling it back until about 130ish where they even out again). The MA61 can also easily outrun the celica in the twisties due to much earlier power down

I've also driven one of those new ricey looking celicas with like 140kw or something and it was shit to drive unless you were trying to drive as fast as you can.

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 13:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 5SFE makes its 100kW easy too, which is why it feels just as bad. The difference is probably more that it weighs more also.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 13:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe I should clarify things a little here:

-I know that the 5M-E is very shit technically and especially on paper when compared to later model engines, even for a Single cammer the power output of 103kw is not very impressive

-I have never had the pleasure of driving a turbo car or a v8 (except for an old vb commodore v8 which felt slower than the 5M)

-Where I live there are 2 R33 Gts t's (one owned by a chick who inherited it when her bf was killed in a bike crash and one owned by a wanker who can't drive and who's parents paid for the lot), the rest of the performace car scence consists of:
-A pintara with an rb20det
-a clapped out early 90's NA Zed with a broken front bar and a HUGE gt car wing
-a few (mainly stock) Rex's owned by older guys
-Lots of VL's and VS's with "2.5inch cat back"

Because of this, I am not desperate for lots of power just yet (in fact I worry constantly about getting speeding fines because I am always driving too fast), Even standard the MA seems to want to cruise at around 75-80 in town and around 130ish on the highway just to keep it in the meat of the torque so I'd hate to find out what speed I would cruise around at if I had a turbo.
Evil_Foetus
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Tue, 09 August 2005 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know what you're saying dude.

i went from an ra60 (67kw Laughing) to the 5me ma61 and it felt great! it didn't mind eating a commodore or ford from the same era. i've even kept up with an old hq v8 of some sort Laughing (but i did get beaten by an 80s excel on a bad day :S)

mind you, i went for a ride in a 5mge (with 2.5" zorst) supra the other day, and it felt great. heaps better than the 5me. and it's the engine that was destined for the ma61 too.

mind you, when you take a 7mgte (or jz of some sort) supra for a ride, you'll have a great time Evil or Very Mad its a fairly easy swap (so i've read and been told) and going from a 5me supra to even a stock 7mgte is fantastic. just fix the headgasket first Wink

post some pics of your car too Very Happy
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 11 August 2005 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK heres my attempt at the pics:

http://img356.imageshack.us/my.php?image=dscf01784ka.jpg

[img][/url]
Did either of these work?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 07:31]

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 11 August 2005 07:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://img358.imageshack.us/img358/1986/dscf01872o x.jpg

PIC 800kb

HUGE

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 07:21]

#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 11 August 2005 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
holy shit Shocked didn't realise it would be that huge
at least it works

will post some more later after I take some more pics on low quality and crop them down lol
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Attention MA61 owners!! (another has joined your ranks) Thu, 11 August 2005 09:06 Go to previous message
Heres one from a diff angle....smaler this time (dug up photo editing cd)

[img][/url]

I'll post more pics later but they'll be in the "MA61 owners thread" and be of the rust/dents, I might also try and lay out all my spares on the lawn and take a high res pic (I'll try and post as thumbnail) , that way people should be able to see if I have anything they need.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sprinter prices
Next Topic:buying audio gear over the net
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 20:57:43 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0074360370635986 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.