Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Tue, 09 August 2005 23:52 Go to next message
Hey guyz,
ran a search and couldnt find anything on here, just got a questoin, on the weekend gave the car abit of stick, and a pulley fell off, on closer inspection its the bottom crank pulley, but the harmonic balancer is stil connected to the engine. do i need a whole new assembly or a new gasket from toyota..... Really need some help here guys.
ta
steve

MOD EDIT - THIS ISNT A WTB THREAD, PLEASE DONT POST MISLEADING TITLES!!!!
If you wanted a WTB thread, this is the wrong section.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 01:05]

Send a private message to this user    
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this pulley
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/Image187.jpg
is meant to go onto this balancer...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/circle.jpg
how.........?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 00:12]

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You need a new pulley. The vulcanized rubber has come apart.

Options are to buy a solid billet one or get a new one from Toyota.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yup, thats fucked

need a whole new balancer (2 metal parts normally bonded by rubber mid section)

i guess you put the gear puller on the wrong bit...
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
incorrect, it fell off whilst driving.
where can i start looking for a billet one, and would penrith toyota have a replacement ?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mustve been pretty shagged...

penrith toyota would be your best first point of contact
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed would Nishad still have that billet one I had made for him lying around?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 00:18]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
NFI
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
billet sounds good, ive got the money all i needs a direction !
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take pulley (parts) to an engineer. Get them to spin you a replica in chromemoly or 6061 aluminium. Make sure they index the timing mark for you too.

It will probably be cheaper than a new pulley.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id even go 7075T6 given the flogging the keyway on these things seems to get
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley Wed, 10 August 2005 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
prefer to just buy one, or get a direct replacement.
thanks for the help and direction guyz.
steve
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
toyota castle hill $363 gts incl
trade : $308
toyota penrith $406.55
no trade price given.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My billet one cost me $150.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u get anotha 1 made ?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 02:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there potential issues with harmonic vibrations when using a solid billet pulley?

BTW this seems to be a common failure on JZ engines, I've personally seen quite a few just like this.
lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ WTB: BADLY 1j crank pulley help ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DeViL rOlLa wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 09:40

this pulley
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/Image187.jpg
is meant to go onto this balancer...
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y169/devilrolla12345/circle.jpg
how.........?

That looks familiar! Mine did the exact same thing, although I didn't notice it for a while since the belt kept running on the rubber stump that was left! Shocked Toyota toughness.

I bought a second hand one for $100 from an importer since I couldn't wait for a new one or to have one made up.

It's a common fault with the JZ engines, the rubber lets go of the pulley wheel. I found the pulley wheel stuck between the sump and plastic undertray...I thought where the hell did this come from? Laughing
joorsh
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a reason the crank pulley has a rubber mid-section. Be VERY careful getting a custom one made up. I'm building a JZ motor at the moment, and I noticed the rubber in my crank was starting to perish slightly. I did a bit of research into it with some very interesting results. You can go the all alloy crank pulley, but you need to make sure your motor is perfectly balanced to suit the new crank pulley. Even a slight imbalance and the motor will start to come apart in a major way. This actually happened to a number of blokes in the states running billet pulleys.
I don't even pretend to know the specifics of what happens, but I am told it's to do with a resonating frequency generated by the motor & crank pulley. Any of you guys seen that cool trick where you make a wine glass "sing" by running your finger around the rim of the glass? And then when you play that same note back at the glass at high enough volume, the glass shatters. Well it's supposed to be something like that. The rubber mid-section is meant to dampen this effect. I just want to clarify that this is all info explained to me by someone else, so I can't vouch for its accuracy. Can any professions here confirm or deny? ...rather than just spewing out what other people tell them like me Rolling Eyes

Bottom line is, I went a bought a brand new one from MR Toyota. There's a mob that make an aftermarked one with a polyurathane insert so it's slightly stronger, and they will also reco your factory one with a urathane insert. If anyone wants their details I can dig it up.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep thats what I heard too Joorsh.

Also these 1JZ pulleys seem very simple in design compared to the 3S ones. The 3S pulleys have little indentations where the rubber fills in so that the pulley isn't just two smooth rings like this.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only issues have been a few cases of crank walk with high powered 2JZGTEs and auto. It would appear it has been blown out of proportion by the 16 yos on supraforums.com.

I have done a pile of kms with my billet pulley on the 2JZGE. No probs.
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
joorsh, can u pls dig up that company's number for me, would b much appreciated.
ta
steve
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
* Ignore the dribble I just posted *

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 06:43]

Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Wed, 10 August 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 14:35

The only issues have been a few cases of crank walk with high powered 2JZGTEs and auto. It would appear it has been blown out of proportion by the 16 yos on supraforums.com.

I have done a pile of kms with my billet pulley on the 2JZGE. No probs.

Maybe, maybe not.

For resonance to occur, the natural frequency of the pulley (determined by the weight and stiffness of the pulley) has to be the same as the frequency/frequencies produced by the engine. As a general rule of thumb, you want to keep the natural frequency of anything about 10-15% out of the range of the frequencies produced by the anything connected to it.

So, while a custom made pulley may run on an engine for years with no probs, another one of slightly different design or material may casue an engine to shit itself very quickly.

But hey, what do I know about JZ engines! I've only ever seen one JZ family engine in the flesh (or should that be metal?) and I've never been fortionate enough to own let alone modify one but the time will come...
DeViL rOlLa
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Thu, 11 August 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ross harmonic balancers have changed their name and location to ross balancers, blacktown
number 96761466
they can do billet replacements and are ( within the month ) goin to start makin polyurethanie replacement rubbers for these. wouldnt give me a price for either but was a nice enough fella.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: ++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++ Thu, 11 August 2005 03:13 Go to previous message
as far as harmonic issues has anyone had any expereiences with harmonic problems with the 4agze nevo pulleys ? these a solid 7075. slighty off topic i know but anyone known of issues ?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1ggte boost questions
Next Topic:Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 15:34:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070521831512451 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.