Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 14:11 Go to next message
Normally when I drive (just trying to get somewhere not race or sho off) , If I know the road and am sure there will be no cops, I drive along at what I consider to be a safe speed (this doesn't usually inlove much looking at the speedo more just letting the car do it's thing with a quick glance at the speedo when entering a corner to make sure I'm not underestimating the speed. If I catch up to another car I will wait until a good opportunity, hanging reasonably far back (I have always believed banzai overtaking moves on public roads is asking for a head on)

When I drive like this I can pretty much drive all day without feeing like I'm going "spacey"

Recently I drove on a trip where I knew there would be high police presence and double demerits. Before I set off I made a decision to try to stick completely to to speed limit at all times (something I'd not done since I was on my p's)

I found that it actualy took a lot of concentration to make sure you NEVER exeed 103km'h while still maintaining speed uphills without having to drop back to 4th all the time....If you're prepared to go 110 you can stay in 5th the whole time without a prob but if you stick to 100 you will be picking 4th up every hill to avoid being tailgated by the Auto falcadore behind you. Even if a car is doing as low as 85km'h in a 100 zone you will still be forced to exeed 100 to get around them in most places.

After 2 hours of driving, my eyes were tired and I was finding it hard to concentrate.

I've been driving about 6 1/2 years with no accidents but I reckon if I lived somewhere where I had to stare at the speedo the whole time I would have had a few by now.

What the hell do you city guys do? do you just drive normally and take the fines or do you all drive around in a state of constant paranoia, keeping your cars in 2nd gear so it's harder to speed?

Send a private message to this user    
decoyslikecurves
Regular

October 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 14:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I concur. I find it tiring to drive to most limits.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 21:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha you're not wrong with the second gear thing... if I have the car in 4th gear in a 60 zone its too easy to speed.
I always drive the most random ways too and from work just so that I don't end up on a multi lane parking lot... I'd rather drive twice as far to work via backroads than end up on a boring road.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 21:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i hate it on the hi-way, my car seems to handle and feel much better at higher speeds. Evil or Very Mad
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 21:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 07:46

i hate it on the hi-way, my car seems to handle and feel much better at higher speeds. Evil or Very Mad

Most people dont class 80kph as higher speed though!
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 23:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Highway speed limit should be at least 130kmh. Thats just the comfortable speed where you start to feel like your moving so you concentrate more.
110 is just to undemanding of your concentration.

110km/h = "hmm i'm sitting on this guys arse with heaps of people on mine.. i might fiddle with the radio or fix my hair"
Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 09 August 2005 23:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FATIGUE KILLS. STOP REVIVE SURVIVE. You've all seen the signs.
Ok, from an ex-interstate truck driver (30yrs up & down the hi-ways).

Statistics show that you should stop every 2hrs for a break.

Ok. I know that I never did the 2 hour stops, but I would just pull over walk around my truck & check the tires have a smoke then get going again. This is ok for the hi-way and long distance like over night from Sydney to Brissy or Sydney to Melb.
As for in the city driving, there is ample stuff going on around you to keep your mind active, that Dick-head in the other car, you know the one playing with the radio or fixing their hair in the mirror and not watching what is going on around them.

Evan: If the Hi-way speed was 130 or even 200kmh after 2-3-5 hours on a long trip you would still become complacent with the speed, then imagine the carnage of a multi car accident.
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi-Ace wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 09:50

[size=4][color=red]

Evan: If the Hi-way speed was 130 or even 200kmh after 2-3-5 hours on a long trip you would still become complacent with the speed, then imagine the carnage of a multi car accident.

I didn't say anything about how long your drive for..
Of course, pull over when u feel tired.
Becoming complacent with the speed means nothing. I am comfortable upwards of 160 + but that doesn't mean i'm not concentrating less..(not that i have ever done those sorta speeds! No never)
110km/h is ridiculas.
So is the driver education "system" and driver attitudes.
There is still carnage at 110km/h, so whats your point.

edit spelling

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 00:04]

Hi-Ace
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

January 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Evan:
So is the driver education "system" and driver attitudes.
There is still carnage at 110km/h, so whats your point.

This I'm not disputing.

This was the statment that I was just making a comment on:-
Quote:

After 2 hours of driving, my eyes were tired and I was finding it hard to concentrate.
110 is just to undemanding of your concentration.

The rest of my comment was in responce to the first part of this thread.and was in NO way a shot at any one.
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit????

No.

I do a lot of long trips in the car often late at night, sticking to the speed limit is no probs, not getting bored on the highway is another story.

Another thread last week raised the point that there are too many things "going on" while driving and monitoring the speed limit is just another to add to the list. Given that walking and talking at the same time is a struggle for some I can see that many people may struggle to process numerous tasks simultaneously. These people are the ones that pose a risk to other users as they are not skilled enough to be coping with driving and its associated tasks.

If you can't rub your tummy in a circular fashion whilst simultaneously patting your head then you do not have the abilty to process numerous tasks simultaneously and should not be aloud to drive. Razz

On the way back from Sydney the other day I passed a young guy doing 80-90km/h in a 110 zone and he was doing the big sleepy head nod thing. I hope he pulled over and had a break Rolling Eyes
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you all need cruise control my good men!

sit back, pay attention to your surroundings and other roadside happenings, watching other traffic etc, and let the car maintain the speed for you Laughing
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cruise control is the Devils creation.. i tell you
So fucken stupid..

even more mind numbing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i just meant how some people are complaining that constant "watching-like-a-hawk" of the speedo takes their concentration off other things..

well cruise control means its one less thing to worry about!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
on a long trip its best not to use cruise control especially if your feeling drosy, cos if you fall asleep its gonna make sure you hit that tree at 110kmph. Cruise control is a great thing, but it just ads to the fatigue and boredom as you have less and less to concentrate on meaning its easier to fall asleep at the wheel.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 02:09]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 12:08

on a long trip its best not to use cruise control especially if your feeling drosy, cos if you fall asleep its gonna make sure you hit that tree at 110kmph. Cruise control is a great thing, but it just ads to the fatigue and boredom as you have less and less to concentrate on meaning its easier to fall asleep at the wheel.

well your theory is shattered by the people in this thread saying that having to watch their speed and stick directly to the limit makes them drowsy and makes it harder to concentrate on driving Rolling Eyes
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well when i did my advanced driver training course at the start of the year they advised against using cruise control on long trips espcially approaching the 2 hour mark or if you started to feel a bit drowsy. See cos if you fall asleep at the wheel with cruise off your foot may fall off the pedal meaning you impact at less kmph.
If your foot tramps the accelerator upon falling asleep it doesn't matter when cruise is on or not the car will accelerate, so it can only be a benefit not to use it.

In personal experience ppl not using cruise and driving manual cars, may get fatigued but they are actually concentrating on what they are doing. Think about it, if you aren't accelerating, aren't changing gears and aren't steering cos its pretty much a dead fucking straight freeway wtf are you gonna do except fall asleep
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I felt this way 2 years ago, however after constantly conforming to the limits, I don't find it a problem at all sticking to the limits.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 02:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Speaking of cruise control though, what shits some of my mates is when people use it at low speed.

So i deliberately use cruise control in 50km/h zones, sitting in top gear.

hah hah hah

cars just going BORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR at 1500rpm...

theyre like "WHY?!"

funny how worked up some people get
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the worst thing is old ppl like my dad trying to set cruise control, ahh soo dangerous spends to much time looking at the wheel trying to work out how to set it and doesn't pay enough attention to the road.
My sis's boyfriend uses it in 60 zones all the time, depending on where you are it can sense though ie areas that could easily be higher than 60 and have a high police presence or speed camera presence plus it is good for fuel economy.
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
:110km/h = "hmm i'm sitting on this guys arse with heaps of people on mine.. i might fiddle with the radio or fix my hair"

true that!

I guess I should admit that it would be less tiring to stick to the speed limit if I was happy to cruise at 90 in 100 zones and 40 in 60 zones, but I just can't help trying to sit on exactly 103km/h especially on long trips

Anyway, we all know how annoying it is following someone for 10 ks when they're sitting on 90 and you're in a hurry.

What about the people in Autos who cruise around town at a speed where if you follow them you are either droning along in 2nd or bogging along in third
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

its pretty much a dead fucking straight freeway wtf are you gonna do except fall asleep

I learnt a trick on how not to fall asleep whilst driving on the Highway.

A cartoon I watched called "Initial H" was about these dudes who drove endlessly for hours on the highway maintaining legal speeds etc. This one character called Sak was able to stay awake for many hours longer on the highway than any other characters. His secret was that he practised driving with a glass of water balanced on his head, so every time he got sleepy and his head nodded forward the water would spill on him and wake him up. This techinque made him the best highway commuter evah! No stopping every two hours for him!

All the characters in "Initial H" drive falcons and commodores and cruise the highways in search of free "driver reviver" coffee stations. It's a great cartoon.......Initial H. The episodes are in Bogan (Penrith dialect I think) but they have subtitles so normal people can understand what is going on. Episode one is 'Sak, searching for Shazza's defacto'

Try the glass of water trick and let me know how you go Laughing

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 03:34]

skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahahaha @ ^^

anyway, i agree with cruise control making you concentrate less, cos you dont have to try and maintain a speed, the car does it for you

meh, whatever Razz
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 11:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No. It's really not that hard to do people.

I'm not saying I always drive at (or below) the speed limit, but it seriously isn't that difficult.. Speeding everywhere is just a habit that can be broken..
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:33

A cartoon I watched called "Initial H" was about these dudes who drove endlessly for hours on the highway maintaining legal speeds etc. This one character called Sak was able to stay awake for many hours longer on the highway than any other characters. His secret was that he practised driving with a glass of water balanced on his head, so every time he got sleepy and his head nodded forward the water would spill on him and wake him up. This techinque made him the best highway commuter evah! No stopping every two hours for him!

All the characters in "Initial H" drive falcons and commodores and cruise the highways in search of free "driver reviver" coffee stations. It's a great cartoon.......Initial H. The episodes are in Bogan (Penrith dialect I think) but they have subtitles so normal people can understand what is going on. Episode one is 'Sak, searching for Shazza's defacto'

Laughing Laughing Laughing GOLD!!!

I've done a few longish trips. The worst ones are the ones you do solo. The way i got round it was to take a couple guarana tablets before starting the trip. One tablet's the equivelent of taking about 20 cans of V Razz You can't fall asleep even if you try!! ALWAYS make sure you've slept well the night before if planning a 8-10h+ trip
AW11 no Jitsu
Regular

May 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 13:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke382TG wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 13:33

A cartoon I watched called "Initial H"

Disturbing. Confused

You do realise that H is short for Hentai. Were there any tenticles

Could have been worse, could have been YAOI!!
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 21:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 07:47

feral4mr2 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 07:46

Most people dont class 80kph as higher speed though!

Laughing Laughing ummm.. Mad Mad
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I learnt a trick on how not to fall asleep whilst driving on the Highway.

That's got to be the funniest thing I've heard in a long time Laughing Laughing
But seriously, I think if you know the road and the conditions proove that it is safe to do so (eg.) not in a school zone, drive to what you feel is comfortable

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 23:39]

Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Wed, 10 August 2005 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i did a road trip wif 2mates, we took his dad brand new statesman. was nice. like driving a bus or sumfin. so much room n shit.

anyway. i got shit all sleep the night b4 and i did the first 6hr leg of the drive.(syd to adelaide). i had one mate to stay up wif me for a bit of time and that kept me awake. i also had a 2bottles of v next to me and a bottle of mizone. water is important to keep u awake. using aircon will de-hydrate you and make u tired and weak.

on a seperate occasion, my mate was doin a road trip. he managed to drive for 26hrs striahgt. not stopping for anything. he used drive throughs for food. and pissed into bottles n through em out the window. he clocked i think jus short of 2500kms in one sitting. THAT IS STUPID. that was also in a 87 astra, no cruise control Razz

-------
jason
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 00:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 09:53

on a seperate occasion, my mate was doin a road trip. he managed to drive for 26hrs striahgt. not stopping for anything. he used drive throughs for food. and pissed into bottles n through em out the window. he clocked i think jus short of 2500kms in one sitting. THAT IS STUPID. that was also in a 87 astra, no cruise control Razz

u know what else is stupid? those stupidly large petrol tanks on those 87 astra's that give u 2501kms per tank. Rolling Eyes
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 01:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe he was using the urine as an alternative fuel source

hope the taxation office doesn't catch up on him for that one
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 02:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

on a seperate occasion, my mate was doin a road trip. he managed to drive for 26hrs striahgt. not stopping for anything. he used drive throughs for food. and pissed into bottles n through em out the window. he clocked i think jus short of 2500kms in one sitting. THAT IS STUPID. that was also in a 87 astra, no cruise control

I like stories Laughing
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay okay, missed that. he stopped for fuel, and if i had to take a shit im geussing that.

but from wat he told me, he drove from jus below the qld border/coast line, to jus short of s.a border heading towards adelaide. he started taking photos n shit to stay awake and hes got one of the odometer, reads sumfin stupid. i cant remeber how many k's now, but roughly 2500k's. around that.
but im certain he said 26hrs straight.

but im not talking sh*t, this is wat he told me, thats wat im saying here. if its a bullsh*t then i heard it from him.

-------
jason
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my dad did adelaide to sydney straight in like 12-14hours befor kid ie 26 years ago, him doing all the driving only stops were for fuel and toilet (same stop)
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 14:57

my dad did adelaide to sydney straight in like 12-14hours befor kid ie 26 years ago, him doing all the driving only stops were for fuel and toilet (same stop)

are you refering to me as a kid?

and i am aware that adelaide to syd is round 12-14hr drive. i never said it was adel to syd.
read the msg more carefully, that is if ur directing ur coments at me, and ull notice i said short of qld to short of s.a.
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a mates dad does semi regular (once every few years) trips across the nullabor Shocked mid north coast to perth/rottnest island = 20-something hours

dunno if he does it straight tho, i think he might
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my god your simple, read the thing properly what do you not understand about my dad, as in mine. I was giving an example of my father driving back from his sisters place in adelaide with my mother befor they had kids, straight thru on the hay plains.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im reading it over n over, n i still get the same impression. but i see that u missed as 's' on kids. so assuming u ment to say, ur dad before he had kid's' then im geussing u wernt directing it at me.

-------
jason
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow i missed an s and you missed the whole point of what i was saying kill me now. Its cool all i was doing was giving an example of a another trip that i know someone has done not referring to you at anyway at all. I don't know how you interpret the written english language but i don't see how you could of taken that as me talking or taking the piss out of you.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 15:15

kill me now.

ok Evil or Very Mad

stop speaking engrish and people will understand...

FLIED LICE YOU PLICK
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shutup you, hahaha i love that movie. But seriously did you understand what i was saying. I think i clearly articulated in the first sentence by saying My which has reference to My own father. Hmmm some ppl sheesh.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 15:23

shutup you, hahaha i love that movie. But seriously did you understand what i was saying. I think i clearly articulated in the first sentence by saying My which has reference to My own father. Hmmm some ppl sheesh.

me not rikey what you say, hong chow.

flappy dickey RONG TIME!
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dads a policeman and he'll shoot you
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 06:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i really dont think you understand where my misunderstanding was. as u obviously know, i dont know you, you dont know me. the way i read it, it seemed like u were an older bloke, as u most probably are, looking down on me. as if to say, 'look here kid, my dad done that trip before, you a shit talker'

but this is realy irrelvant and lasted to long.

-------
jason
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 16:22

i really dont think you understand where my misunderstanding was. as u obviously know, i dont know you, you dont know me. the way i read it, it seemed like u were an older bloke, as u most probably are, looking down on me. as if to say, 'look here kid, my dad done that trip before, you a shit talker'

-------
jason

mate,

he's just some kiddie corona driver, rippin hektik skidz and trouncing those AE-86 boys.

He even beat takumi down the blue mountains touge once...

and he didnt just have a cup of water he had a whole friggin six pack

not a drop i tell you not a drop!!!

[end random post]
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Smokey228 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 16:22

-------
jason

hahahahaha only stirring you. Old me don't think so i'm only 19.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 09:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
#Fiend# wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 16:20

then tell you to stop Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 14:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 19:00

if hell shot you then tell you to stop, im assuming ur from vic?

but that would jus be a silly assumption, cause a victorian police officer would never shoot before he knew for sure that the 'attacker' was a real threat? i mean, a banana could be a deadly weapon, u never know. Rolling Eyes

-------
jason
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My dads not really a policeman I just found it amusing that people were going on about their dads so much.

I wasn't reffering to being shot for speeding I was referring to when little kids say how their dad will beat you up, when I was like 5 or 6 kids would always say "my dads a policeman, he has a gun" if they were scared of you.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Thu, 11 August 2005 14:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahaha. i have to be honest, i have never got that before. prolly cause im not scary ahahaha. Razz

i do remember but, when the cops would come to skool and give speaches n shit, that u would always ask 'do you have a gun', 'have u ever shot anyone?', 'can i hold ur gun?'

stupid lil kids Razz gotta admit i was one of em lol

-------
jason
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Fri, 12 August 2005 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Allan wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 19:00

And then give you a fine of $500,000 because his radar detector pinged the bullet and he pinned it on your parked car for doing 1000km/h in a 40 zone......
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Fri, 12 August 2005 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh yea, with the cruise control thing, I find it to be pretty useless and causes you to work more, because whenever I've used one on the highway, due to RLH's and slow shits, I'm always having to reset the bastard thing.
3S-GE_Man
Regular

January 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Fri, 12 August 2005 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i agree exactly to the first post.....you now the road and u just cruise at the speed that the car likes and is perfectly save cause you have down it a billion times before on the same road and yeah if u just do the speed u know is safe and all good for your car it very easy on the brain and doesn't fatigues it..but yeah if you on a bit of a drive and you just cruise along and not give a shit aobut the fuzz your brain is much more alert and etc for "that wanker in the other lane" and what ever he does....if u like susing aobut cops all the time and spending half your energy to stay on the limit and holding your foot then you feel so tried much more quickly...

I know cause i do a bit of night tafe classes in mt gravatt and i got to drive to bakc to the gold coast to go home and yeah sit on 120-130..it safe...some other people are usally doing that with you and my brain loves it doesn't get tried and etc..but when at first i sat on the limit and getting near the end of my time ont he highway for the night before and i'd be driving by "feel" (moving from one line of cats-eyes to the other)...

so yeah sometime i believe it unsafe to stick right to limit..lucky i'm in QLD and most of the time on the M1 the cops don't move unless you doing more than 125km/h....

Nezza Cool
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Sat, 13 August 2005 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

me not rikey what you say, hong chow.

flappy dickey RONG TIME!

he's just some kiddie corona driver, rippin hektik skidz and trouncing those AE-86 boys.

Laughing Laughing Laughing hahaha. rippin hektik skidz, prob is that he like never does em' bro. lol

Oh no! what next? the flapping dicky?

"Oh, I'm loosin em' better
bring out the 'A' material... ME SO SHALLY"

hahahaha Laughing Laughing

Oh simpsons goes off.

[Updated on: Sat, 13 August 2005 10:45]

Big Don
Occasional Poster

June 2005
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Sun, 14 August 2005 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well IMHO there's a coupla issues here, yes I believe driving slowly definately CAN fatigue you, that having been said you can always pump up the tecka's some nice loud dance music always helps (provided it's not phsy trance" that'll end up numbing u)

I used to drive down to Bairnsdale from Melbourne every week for Tafe, would spend 3 days down there and the rest up here. My tafe course was for 2 years as well.

This was back in the days of my U12 Pintara, only mods were a set of 16's up front and some farm mud.

there are several tactics I've employed to fight off boredom and sleep.

1) Buddy system, wait until you find someone who is willing to speed say 150kph preferably, let them get far enough ahead that they stay in sight but not that if they arouse any cops that you wont get caught too, this is how it works, people who are speeding will very rarely sail past a cop and not at some point hit the brakes. so let him be your radar breaker, also if the cop has already got him on radar at 150 chances are they wont still have the radar gun out they'll be taking off to catch him by the time you come to them, having slowed down because you noticed he jabbed the brakes hard near some bushes or a bridge beside the road!

2) 5-10k's over, well I've only just recieved my full licence due to some silly little incidents when I was around 19, (23 now) but I've taught myself as much as possible to scan every car within sight for tell-tale signs of being a cop, at the speed limit scanning for cops is no longer an issue, if you drive just 5 k's or maybe 10 k's over then not only will you likely not get a "massive" slap on the wrist (warning only do this with a road-worthy car lol) but you still wont want to pay 160 fine so you'll be on constant alert for speed-camera's/coppa's this is a good thing because if you are concentrating that much on your surroundings chances are you will also be able to see an accident and avoid it before it occurs (concentration on surroundings is always highly recommended!)

3) In car entertainment, as mentioned before, some music that has good associations to you but preferebly not a type that lull's you (i.e. classical music or trance) I even know of someone who went so far as to put a DVD on their laptop, having the laptop on the passenger seat and earphones in thier ear, driving on "auto-pilot" and listening to the dvd, keeps the mind active and awake!! (obviously don't get a boring dvd though lol) though I will add a little disclaimer, don't do this, it's dangerous and if you get caught or have an accident while doing it Mr plod will throw the book at you (probably quite rightly)

4) one last technique I used was to play word games, think of a word then try and spell it from letters in road signs or number plates, even better constantly try and work out what each car approaching you is from the shape of thier headlights or the outline of thier car in the distance, again makes you concentrate on what is around you, on a long drive concentration will kill you much easier than straight speed at 110kph if you close your eye's for 1 second you can be off the road and into a tree, but at 180kph if you concentrate you can still not kill yourself.

Coffee, Guarana etc while they may seem like good idea's are actually a bit of a trap, (I come from a family with 4 doctors, both parent's and 2 sisters) and they tell me that studies done on these "pep's" show that though you wont fall asleep your thought processes slow dramatically and as do your reactions potentially making it quite dangerous, Also as with any other "drug" what goes up must come down, maybe you feel great for the first 1/2 hour- hour after a cup of coffee, but what about after that, you start to feel much more drowsy again.

so the answer is from my perspective yes driving at the speed limit can decrease concetration and be dangerous, my solution, don't look at driving as getting from point A to point B, make each drive an adventure, get into the driving and make it something you enjoy, it'll always be safer if you put effort into it!

Cheers Big Don
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Mon, 15 August 2005 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You just have to train yourself.
As someone who spends all day in a car by himself, & who also regularly drives to Brisbane & other places (like from Adelaide last Wednesday) in one sitting, I would never own a car without cruise control. I also used to live the country where anything was at least an hour away.
On the way over, I stopped twice for less than 5 minutes & then only because I needed fuel. At Gundegai & Pinnaroo. Look them up on a map & you'll figure out how far apart Wink
Having you're wheel alignment & tyre pressures correct, & steering in good nick is a big help. Stops your car from wandering all over the road using your concentration.

Anything that doesn't require constant concentration is a good thing. Leaves your mind free to check out other things. Usually what the other idiots on the road are doing Razz

#Fiend#, is the car in your avator yours? What sort of hills are you going up that need shifting down to 4th? My small capacity diesel goes up hills in 5th on cruise control. Admittedly, the snail hanging off the side helps a little Laughing
Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Mon, 15 August 2005 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are actualy studies done (some in america) showing that driving 'at the speed limit' on roads that have their limits posted to low (which from some stuff I have read is allmost all of them in australia) is actualy bad for focus and concentration, and statisticaly, causes accidents.

Victoria is the only place in the world where the road fatality statistics showed a drop from the trend for the year that speed cameras where introduced. Road fatalities have gone up in a few countries after speed camera introduction (this is odd, 'cuz as a general rule, road fatalities go down with better cars, roads, driver education etc). Some states in America pointed to our statistics to help support their policy of introducing speed camreas, 'cuz they couldn't point anywhere else, 'cuz it would look bad for them.

To lower accidents you need to educate people on good driving, not legislate against speeding. I'm shocked to see how many people speed, and by rather a lot, in the dark, wet, or other low visibility or low traction environments (usualy people in fords and commodores).

Anyway, yes. Driving at a speed that seems overly slow does bore me to tears and make me lose my concentration. I've heard some people bitch at me that this makes me a bad driver. I say no, I can just feel it happening and you can't. I get the impression that these people telling me they don't get distracted when driving at the limit, actualy NEVER focus as much as I do. I'd wager they are permenantly at the state of concentration that starts to scare me.

Anyhoo, my 2c.
TA-022
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

March 2004
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Mon, 15 August 2005 22:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all i can say is...

"Welcome to the real world."

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Do you find it mentaly fatigues you to stick to the speed limit???? Tue, 16 August 2005 01:41 Go to previous message
Big Don wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 01:25

Coffee, Guarana etc while they may seem like good idea's are actually a bit of a trap, (I come from a family with 4 doctors, both parent's and 2 sisters) and they tell me that studies done on these "pep's" show that though you wont fall asleep your thought processes slow dramatically and as do your reactions potentially making it quite dangerous, Also as with any other "drug" what goes up must come down, maybe you feel great for the first 1/2 hour- hour after a cup of coffee, but what about after that, you start to feel much more drowsy again.
Cheers Big Don

Very true they take you to a high to keep you awake but you come crashing down much faster, meaning they do more harm than good. Plus someone with large amounts of caffeine/illegal anphetamines are more likely to speed take risks etc and end up getting hurt.
The best and only way to drive long distances is to have lots of breaks regularly. You'll also feel much better when you get to your destination generally for a holiday.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Corolla respray
Next Topic:Corolla G6R 1998
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:45:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075819492340088 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.