Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celica86
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon7.gif  pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 01:32 Go to next message
im looking for information on pod filters for my st162 3sge celica eg. brands and types that would fit
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K&N extreme pod filter
or Green Cotton filters

dont bother with Apexi or HKS or whatever
celica86
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cheers mate where can i buy the filter here in adelaide
also do you have a round about price
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Autobarn has k&n extreme top pods for $79
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is there really that much difference in pod filters.

i bought my car with an apexi one already in it, would there really be a differnce between mine and say a K&N pod filter??
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
price for starters, not much difference in power if car is stock, airflow might vary but wouldn't be far off each other.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get a dry element.

k&n are ok but dont over oil it!

but after awhile they make the afm dirty
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
^^^ I dont think it dirty's the AFM, but i dont use one anyways so it doesnt matter!

As for where you can get! can go through Car Torque Products, which are a distributor of Green Cotton, they are located along Little Kind William st.
K&N, the cheapest is to go to O.G. Speed shop, located on *you guessed it* O.G. Road!!
I personally use K&N as recommended by my tuner, but than again...its up to you!
Hunty
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 05:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and if you need an adapter to fit to the AFM you can use one for a VL commodore Smile costs about $10 for a plastic one from autobarn bit more for a steel one.

i personally dont see the point in paying the MASSIVE premium just so i can have a kool HKS or APEXi sticker, mind you if i'd spent a ridiculous amount of money ie $15k on my motor and the guy who built it said use K&N i probably would Very Happy but for a stocko motor i'd just go with a mid priced generic brand, or if you happen to get a few bucks back on ur tax grab a K&N Smile

good luck
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oil filled filters do fuck afm, in fact it is advised that you don't use them on the NEW HFV6 commodores as they fuck them.
Oil filled elements/pods are also illegal in NSW atleast, NSW EPA regs means that a pod has to be enclosed (or under 90 decibels) and have a dry filtering element.
Not that you care, but when it comes to being defected for narky things get a cop in a bad mood or if your stupid enough to give him lip and they can defect you for it.
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pods are pods.

the difference is dry vs oil.

A wet/oil type will cause gum to stick to the afm and as the pod gets hot so does the oil with alot of people who have fwd cars and just have it in the middle of the engine bay.That oil gets sucked into the intake via "afm". So every time you press the pedal it would suck more oil in and depending on how much open the flap is. the residue will get stuck.

this is the only reason why i use a japanese dry type brand. it costs the same if you think about it.

japanese kit - $150 (average) includes fittings, hoses, intake tube, brackets, and sometimes heatsheild/cold air intakes. Very low or No maintanance req.

k&n kit - $80 filter in a box. + $30-40 for recharge kit. $10-30 Additional fittings/Adaptors, modifying of airtemp sensor will require drilling a hole into your current intake or using a new intake tube.

it all adds up. one brand is tested. the other claims power
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 07:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 16:31

and chances are your engine won't make that much more power anyway Razz

modifying the stock airbox for a better inlet will likely yeild same results for cost of a holesaw and some PVC pipe...

but of course it's not as hektik as a pod bro.. Wink
cycleofabuse
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 11:46

K&N extreme pod filter
or Green Cotton filters

dont bother with Apexi or HKS or whatever

Why?
From what i've read Apexi filters are the best you can get. Personally air filters isn't a part that i would go tight ass on. If you get a cheap one it'll most likely be kinda restricive or let in heaps of dirt. When i got my car it had a cheap one on it and you could see little holes developing in it. So i bought an Apexi one, it seems awesome to me. But yeah get it heatshielded. I did a home job on mine (nothing special) and i reckon it made a difference.
Good luck
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:02

SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 16:31

and chances are your engine won't make that much more power anyway Razz

modifying the stock airbox for a better inlet will likely yeild same results for cost of a holesaw and some PVC pipe...

but of course it's not as hektik as a pod bro.. Wink

Yes, Pods wont give you 200HP. I've only got one due to the fact that servicing the stock box on the mr2 is a bitch in a engine with no space whatsoever. As to my qoutation above they reffered to brand names A.. then K. in perspective.

http://img247.echo.cx/img247/140/cai0038pb.jpg

http://img247.echo.cx/img247/6898/cai0071qs.jpg

http://img248.echo.cx/img248/5061/cai0022rt.jpg

As you can see its very toight! if I had the stock box in there and everytime I had to get more space i'd need to remove the small body panel.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 07:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why not run a snorkel Smile
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 17:19

Yes, Pods wont give you 200HP. I've only got one due to the fact that servicing the stock box on the mr2 is a bitch in a engine with no space whatsoever. As to my qoutation above they reffered to brand names A.. then K. in perspective.
As you can see its very toight! if I had the stock box in there and everytime I had to get more space i'd need to remove the small body panel.

there will always be ppl thatr actually need them due to other issues Very Happy

the vast majority of pods are there "cos they are sik" Wink
but thats just me Wink

i had a gokart sized unifilter on my 4K, simply cos i didn't have time to make up an airbox, and even then, you can't fit much filter in a space that is maybe 10x10x15cm....

snorkel eh.. hmmmm
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 08:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$15k is nothing on an engine!!!!!

still dont believe that apexi outdo Green or K&N

not all FWD cars have filter in the middle of engine bay (you tool) *award for stupid comment of the day

pod filter ,made a total of 4kw at the wheel in my atmo car

there is a reason why many race teams use K&N and Green Cotton
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 18:43

not all FWD cars have filter in the middle of engine bay (you tool) *award for stupid comment of the day

alot of people i know just wack it on the end of the throttle body which is sitting behind the battery with no place to get cold air even I had it one stage there at one stage. not properly sealing it up and mounting it infront of the battery/radiator.

eg.

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL632/3171080/6461943/83096319.jpg

http://pic15.picturetrail.com/VOL632/3171080/6461943/83096322.jpg

http://www.ne.jp/asahi/marvic/pc-hevo/car/eng2.jpg

http://www.worksrav4.com/gallery/OG_phot/OG_naohi02.jpg

its basicly in the middle of the engine bay soaking up. working as a hot air intake.

have you got the before and after dynosheets that you claim give you 4fwkw that an airfilter can do? were they run on the same day?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 09:15]

celica86
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if i bought a japanese brand eg. blitz, apexi, hks intented for a gen2/3 3sge would it fit my gen1 3sge

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 10:26]

havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 11:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was thinking about getting a pod filter cover out of a 91 lancer...just in case the boys in blue decided to look under the hood it'll pretty much look like a stock box.
then a cold intake pipe should be hard to mount of that
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica86 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 11:32

im looking for information on pod filters for my st162 3sge celica eg. brands and types that would fit
cheers

so are you trying to replace the air filter box? or the filter element itself?

or is it just for looks?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 14:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R: I have after dyno sheet if it helps!! Smile
nah look, i was the the one that spent $15k on the motor and the tuner was well aware of how specific i wanted the motor to look - standard. when the computer went in, there were several extra wires (hardly noticable) but there was no longer a need for an AFM. Brenton (tuner) asked whether i wanted it removed as a pod filter would give you a power increase and the lack of AFM would lesser restriction. i was a little hessitant coz of the pod filter look (read:defectable) but he said he'll do a before and after and see if there was difference. there was, so i kept the pod on. yes it was the same dyno/tuner/day/with prob a few hours in between to fit the pod.

the biggest diference i noticed was how unbelievably quicker the car revved. it was definately an improvement, as i was skeptical of a pod before, now i fully stand by their performance claim. And yes it sits behind the battery but it has 2 cold air ducts from the front-most of the car
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so the pod went on at the same time as the AFM being removed?
Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 15:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SW20R wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 18:29

alot of people i know just wack it on the end of the throttle body which is sitting behind the battery with no place to get cold air even I had it one stage there at one stage. not properly sealing it up and mounting it infront of the battery/radiator.

So you reackon it would be okay there with just a tube directed at the filter running to the front of the car so it can at least get some cold air? or would it still suck too much hot air from the engine bay if it's not shielded?

I'm in the process of adapting a pod onto my car, and at first it won't be shielded (eventually I'll work something out) but will have cold air from the front of the car via the tube I mentioned

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 15:24]

Lachie
Regular

January 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Wed, 10 August 2005 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 00:02

nah look, i was the the one that spent $15k on the motor and the tuner was well aware of how specific i wanted the motor to look - standard. when the computer went in, there were several extra wires (hardly noticable) but there was no longer a need for an AFM. Brenton (tuner) asked whether i wanted it removed as a pod filter would give you a power increase and the lack of AFM would lesser restriction. i was a little hessitant coz of the pod filter look (read:defectable) but he said he'll do a before and after and see if there was difference. there was, so i kept the pod on. yes it was the same dyno/tuner/day/with prob a few hours in between to fit the pod.

the biggest diference i noticed was how unbelievably quicker the car revved. it was definately an improvement, as i was skeptical of a pod before, now i fully stand by their performance claim. And yes it sits behind the battery but it has 2 cold air ducts from the front-most of the car

Hey, is this the Johnny I go to uni with? I thought you 'only' spent about 6k on your engine! (still more then I paid for my car!) Can I have a look at your setup of the pod filter some time?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Thu, 11 August 2005 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man its me!! Very Happy
Cars in the paint shop atm, i'll drive it to uni sometime and you'll have the chance to see it than
celica86
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Thu, 11 August 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 22:05

celica86 wrote on Wed, 10 August 2005 11:32

cheers

so are you trying to replace the air filter box? or the filter element itself?

or is it just for looks?

im going to do away with both and fit a pod filter and manufacture a vent or bonnet scoop to get some cold air to it
definitely not for looks just looking for that little bit more as we all do
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: pod filter for 3sge Thu, 11 August 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
have you thought about just using a larger airbox with a bigger flat panel filter..
heck of a lot cheaper, looks factory, and you can still use a vent or scoop for cold air Wink

commonwhore airboxes are pretty large (around A4 size vertically i think) and have a large cheap filter.. the whole shebang from holden is like $30-40....

but if you really want a pod, by all means go for it.. but they are a cumbersome shape, and the box you need around it will take up more space than a flat filter anyway...

my 5c Wink
TRD-ST162
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: pod filter for 3sge Fri, 12 August 2005 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jonchai wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 00:32

Just thought i'd mention something... When cars are run on the dyno, they have the bonnet open, and a huge fan rushing very cool air into the engine bay...

Close the bonnet and have the engine running for quite a while and u'll find that a lot of hot air gets trapped and therefore sucked into the engine, so although it might have a better kw rating on the dyno, out on the road i reckon personally it will be a different story...

Just my 2 cents

I'm taking my car on the dyno to have it tuned soon, and yeah the guy was recommending to keep my panel filter in and not to bother with the Pod filter, As yeah toyota designed the box for a reason .
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: pod filter for 3sge Fri, 12 August 2005 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TRD-ST162 wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 18:37

As yeah toyota designed the box for a reason .

i dont think toyota had the funds to just throw away into putting pod filters into everyone of their cars, just thinking they'd go for the cheaper option rather then the performance option...then again i dont work for/run toyota so i might be wrong
ST162GT-R
Regular

February 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Fri, 12 August 2005 12:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i think the reason toyota never came out with pods for 3sge is because they are illegal, plain and simple.
nick2b
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: pod filter for 3sge Sat, 13 August 2005 02:09 Go to previous message
Put the pod filter infront of your fan ( Forced Induction Rolling Eyes)
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Radio Electric Antenna trouble
Next Topic:Avante 22RE auto problems
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:06:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069308280944824 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.