Toymods » Tech & Conversions » which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
choofa
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Fri, 05 August 2005 02:34 Go to next message
have drums all round and according to you fellas i shouldn,t worry bout the back ones.fair enough but i want to swap the front ones.its a work horse so any cheap bolt on ones will do.have checked threads for info for last hour without success.lucky i was stoned or i would of lost concentration.also are the engine mounts on an 18r-g in the same position as an 18r.while i,m here,i,d like a cheap alternative for the crappy bench seat.what other toyo,s have the same bolt pattern so i can fit buckets.sorry for all the boring questions but if i dont make this heap of shit more liveable,i,m gonna dump it in the bay.
  Send a private message to this user    
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Fri, 05 August 2005 04:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What model is your Hilux? Is it 2WD or 4WD?

I think many hiluxes from YN57 onward had disk fronts, and they are probably a bolt-on upgrade for yours. And should be readily available at wreckers.

But I couldn't say for sure w/out knowing more about your ute.

Don't forget, you will have to swap over your brake master cylinder to a booster unit, too.

An 18R motor is an 18R motor. The mounts will be the same.

For a long time there, the hiluxes had the same mechanicals, just the skins changed - should be plenty of seats and stuff at the wreckers that will fit. Look for SR5 models, they had all the nice bits Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 07 August 2005 23:57]

choofa
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  Re: which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Wed, 10 August 2005 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry adam.didn,t know ya couldn,t email responses.thats if you got it anyway.I,m not to bright when it comes to the compooty.Back to the question : It,s two wheel drive.Whats a YN57 ??? Can you translate that into YEARS for me and can you tell me which YEARS are interchangeable with mine. Tah mate
BabyZ
Regular

January 2003
Re: which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Wed, 10 August 2005 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No idea about years, but most hilux stuff up until the late 80's is more-or-less interchangable as far as I have seen.

YNxx, RNxx or whatever is your model code. It is found stamped on the aluminium plate riveted to your firewall, along with all sorts of useful information like transmission codes etc.
choofa
Occasional Poster

August 2005
icon6.gif  Re: which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Thu, 11 August 2005 06:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks adam and everyone here.You,ve all been very helpful and now i hope that i have all the info to get the luxsy into shape.I should be picking it up on saturday from the blokes who gave it a roadworthy{what a joke}and then fix up what they didn,t,save some bucks and go hunting for a wrecked celica at the auctions. see ya,s
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: which disc brakes bolt on to 81 hilux tray top Thu, 11 August 2005 07:21 Go to previous message
Auto or manual? Razz

you would have to hope that your front stub axles are the same as the later shape (they may not be) easiest way would be to get hold of one.. go to a wrecker, they wont hit you for much..

you will probably need a different master cyl and proportioning valve too.. you might want to seriously think about those at the wrecker.. you can't get rebuild kits for the prop valves, and the SR5 brakes are smaller than the standard hilux ones, they also run different slave cyls in the rear..

if you are using it as a workhorse, consider getting a 4y out of a later model..(up to about 88) they run forever.. not as sporty as a 18r though.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:rust ... how to deal with it
Next Topic:175mm Crank Pulley
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:01:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0045568943023682 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.