Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 05:07 Go to next message
Hey yall
im trying to get a set of springs onto my soarer, and cant even get the the front struts off.

Im trying to compress the springs while they are on the car (no other way to get the struts off???) but i cant get two spring clamps on since the a-arm gets in the way, plz help!

Am i doing the right thing here?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 05:45]

Send a private message to this user    
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How are you going to get new springs on with the strut still in the car?

I'd think you NEED to get the struts out, before getting spring compressors on (and getting the springs out). Maybe crack the bolt while the strut is still in the car if possible, though. Though that's not crucial.
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 06:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im trying to get the struts out atm, so i can chuck the new springs on the struts. I dont know how to get the struts out of the car.

Can anyone provide a quick step through?

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 06:07]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've just sent this thread to my mate who has not long ago changed his springs.
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Undo the bolts at the top of the strut tower.
Undo the bolts on the lower half of the strut behind the brake disc.
Remove any brake lines etc clipped onto the strut.
Remove strut from car.
Put strut in a bench vice.
Attach spring compressors.
Remove nut at the top of the strut.

I could be missing something, I don't know if it's the same on your car... but I'd assume it to be pretty similar.
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 06:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

I'm the mate who has recently changed his springs.

I was pretty much in exactly the same position as you, I'd removed the rears using a compressor and they came out (relatively) easy. The fronts I found were hard to get out due to the upper wishbone, but later also found that I didnt actually need to use the spring compressor at all while the suspension was on the car.

Jack the car up by the chassis - not anywhere on the lower wishbone arm (as you need the lower parts to drop as far down as possible).

Remove the cap and TEMS actuator and then the three bolts. Don't remove the centre bolt.

Remove the bolt securing the bottom of the shock to the lower wishbone.

Now, remove the long horizontal bolt securing the back of the upper wishbone to the chassis. The bolt is long and you will need to slide it toward the front of the car. It will seems as though there is no room to slide it forward but all you need to do is pull the plastic guard back and slide the bolt behind it. I found it hard to crack the bolt and required two sets of hands, one on each end of the bolt. I used a breaker bar, which was just a normal socket wrench with a metal tube slid over the end of it to give extra length and torque. Use some WD-40 or any dispersant on each end of the bolt and leave for 10 mins and try again if u have any probs. It WILL come out!

While sliding the bolt out, wiggle the wishbone to get it out fully.

From there you should be able to get the shock out past the wishbone and fully remove it.

Place the shock in a vice and compress the springs a little to take the pressure off the top seating. Then remove the centre nut (19mm i think its weird), and take off the seat.

At this point I made a nice bruise on my arm as one of the compressors came off explosively... so be careful and make sure that they are on properly. They should be set slightly diagonally so they are normal to angle of the coil and also equal on each side.

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 06:45]

VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh so i have to unbolt the upper wishbone???
Thats been my problem, since it seems like the damper is "too long" for the mounting position.

How did u reinstall the struts? Did u bolt up the shock first or the wishbone?
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 07:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just in reverse order, so shock/damper goes in, then wishbone bolt, then bottom of shock to lower arm.

Let me know how u go, and send us some pics i always love to see an old skool soarer!

I actually took my springs to a block who compressed em all by 40mm. I would say 40mm is the max you would want to go if not 30mm at the front or you'll be having probs with guard/tyre scrape-age. 40mm at the back seems ok. And, also the ride is stiff as shit (which is good as otherwise the tyre would constantly be rubbing), but I am seriously considering doing a proper job with new springs/shocks to manage the lower ride height better.

Good to hear ur getting new springs so I'd like to see how things go.
VeeP
Regular

May 2005
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Hmmm,
im having a hard time explaining my problem.

Now im trying to reassemble the setup.

You know the bolt from the damper to lower arm? Well that doesnt line up correctly, iv managed to get one side of the bolt thru, but i cant get it through the hole on the other side of the lower arm becuase it doesnt line up. This is with the upper arm attached to teh suspension.

If my explaining sux i can take a picture and post up
teeBore
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: Urgent help reqd installing springs on GZ20 Wed, 10 August 2005 07:25 Go to previous message
Nah i get it.

It's hard but take out the bolt without letting the alignment shift at all and shine a light through so you can see if it lines up. Get a screwdriver and wedge it in there while taking out the bolt. You can lever the screwdriver to move the damper slightly so the hole lines up. Then leave the screwdriver as it is and slide the bolt in from the other side and take out the screwdriver.

If the lower arm has pushed the bracket up past the damper just put your foot on the brake hub and jump hard to get it down again.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:locking diff?
Next Topic:donors???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 00:15:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0054819583892822 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.