Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 07:24 Go to next message
OK, now i know i should search, well i have.IM building up a gen2 3sge for my 162 and im in need of help and ideas as for what size cams i should run.

I will be running a microtech LS01 so tuning isnt a problem.Im going to get some forgies, something around the 10.5 +:1 CR.IM getting a heap of head work done(porting, port matching to inle and exhaust) and am considering upgrading the valves to stainless items.

Now, i know if i want some decent sized cams i'll have to change to shim under bucket using gen3 items(retainers,springs and buckets) but im confused as to what sorta cam i should run. High lift but short duration, long duration, not so high lift?long duration highlift?

Any ideas as to what road to take, oh and that would not be so bad to drive as a daily as well.

Thanx heaps, Stu
  Send a private message to this user    
Hodgo
Regular

August 2004
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
y forgies in an NA engine?
jonchai
Regular

June 2004
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll reply ur PM soon buddy, im low on time!

forged pistons arent neccesary on a NA engine, i was thinking about it too but the rebuilder said it would be good, but rather unneccesary.
Cams, biggest you should hope for is
Inlet - 270-280 degrees and 290 if ur feeling a little adventurous. you can get 320 degrees but they would be 'track only' cams with peak power somewhere in the 9000rpm Shocked
10-11 degrees for duration prob 10.6 - 10.8

Microtech computer is an older model yeah? I use a LT10s which is the newest from Microtech. (get a good tuner)

good luck!
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well i was thinking forgies as i was looking at some hig-lift cams and thought if i was gonna extend the rev range i should look at strengthening the whole bottom end. Or would it be more worth while in getting the rods sorted and everything else balanced instead?

Thanx for your input
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for the gen 2 a port job is around 600 to 700 hundred the std valves are ok ,the pistons you can go up to 11 to 1 ok on mobil fuel syn 8000 and they would be 1200 with rings and pins ,been here done that ,cams that come to mind are 435 thou lift on the inlet and 400 thou for the exhaust they are about 800 and you will need the shim under buckets about 22 each from toyota and you will need new retainers made out of chrom moly and duel valve springs as well
head job 700
cams 800
pistons 1200
buckets 400
vsprings 280
tainers 220 and you will need new shims about 11each from toyota ,so looking at this just get a gen 3 head or gen 4 vvti motor easier on the pocket
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds interesting Very Happy

Let me know when its done I want to hear the soundtrack on a worked N/A 3S
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 09:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, i'll take your advice Charlie on the gen3 head then-you seem to have heaps of stuff lying around, don't suppose you have one?!!!
Would it be ideal to use the gen3 inlet then or would anyone be fine, inlcuing the gen1 minus TVIS?
SW20R
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can source a gen 3 complete head go for it.

its got a bigger throttle body (as far as i know on the turbo models) otherwise you'd probably have to make some plates
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi just wondering what kinda engine a "gen 4 vvti motor" is out of?? and how easy is it to install and the power differences really, someone mentioned it above
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The gen4 would be from a late model 6th gen jap spec celica.They came out in the last 6 months of production
they were also in an Mr2 and came in FR form from an RS200 Altezza.

THey are a VVTi on the exhaust cam(i think) have 200hp standard, quad throttles, high comp, LSD box

would be great but i dont have 5g + for a decent halcut-which is why im going this route as i can upgrade as i go
drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: gen2 3sge mods Wed, 10 August 2005 22:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i've got forgies in a 2.4litre G200 gemmi that i have..mild cam..10.5 comp..headers..and the stock G200 carb..it is reliable as anything..but rattles a tiny bit on startup (fogies Rolling Eyes ) the pistons are out of a toyota deisel of some sort..

but yeh..my main toy my Gen 2 3SGE..i will be following the same sorta build..but for now i am retaining the stock ECU..but using 20V quads, and tuned length headers is the limit at the moment..then next year..Link ECU, cams, rebuild, comp, now i'm thinking about the GEN 3 head cos of the bucket setup..do they have the same inlet manifold flange? and do they have oil drians on the exhaust side?? (mine is a RWD setup)
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 11 August 2005 00:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Go to a completely shimless bucket set-up. You can use the buckets from some other Toyota engine (the model escapes me at this point in time) and do away with shims altogether.
RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 11 August 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forged pistons are a bit extreme but if you can get your hands on a decent set you could save yourself some reciprocating mass.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/3sbucket.html

I think the shimless buckets come out of the 1ZZ engine in the MR2 spyder Wink

drift86levin
Forums Junkie

August 2004
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 11 August 2005 02:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RWDboy wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 11:48

Forged pistons are a bit extreme but if you can get your hands on a decent set you could save yourself some reciprocating mass.

http://www.rossmachineracing.com/3sbucket.html

I think the shimless buckets come out of the 1ZZ engine in the MR2 spyder Wink

that would prolly mean why the gemmi revs a fair bit easier! and seems to be alot more happy at high rpm than most others..
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Sat, 13 August 2005 03:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool guys, thanx for the help.Any other suggestions?
bonbon
Occasional Poster

June 2004
Re: gen2 3sge mods Tue, 16 August 2005 00:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a tad high for your pistons, mate got rings rods and pistons all up for around 800.

his tuner got em for him their arias

the place is NT performance in yarravile
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: gen2 3sge mods Tue, 16 August 2005 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey stuC when you get all this done could you let us know roughly how much it all costed and what you got done....i might be getting some money soon and this is something i might consider doing aswell
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Tue, 16 August 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bonbon, do u know if those were forged Arias or just hi-comp normal, and standard or oversized?Do u know what the rods were like?

Cheers mate

PS:If going for hi-ish lift cams with a reasonable duration (bigger powerband) would it be a good idea to piss off the TVIS then?i know this is a maybe/maybe not topic but how bad would driveability really be without out?Would the removal increase the effect of cams or just allow for a bigger cam installed?

[Updated on: Tue, 16 August 2005 10:02]

RWDboy
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 18 August 2005 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Arias are not exactly the best forged piston going around Wink
Fr3aK
Regular

January 2005
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 18 August 2005 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you're serious about going nuts on your motor, ring up Neil Bates in Canberra. Or just walk into his workshop like i did. Neil wasn't there but Rick was. Nice bloke.

These guys should be able to tell you everything you need to know.
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: gen2 3sge mods Thu, 18 August 2005 07:46 Go to previous message
i would walk 500 miles and i would walk 500 hundred more....
i wish i could but they;re in canberra, im in Vic.No walking anywhere!

So arias are no good?What bout ACL or something? and im not going all-out but i do wish to have a strong decent motor that will rev and LAST, thus not wanting extreme or shit stuff.

Cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:budget 4age conversion
Next Topic:Mod plate for 3tgte in TA22
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 00:17:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076930522918701 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.