Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
spiller
Regular

August 2005
My MA70-1J conversion project Wed, 10 August 2005 09:24 Go to next message
Heya

I just thought I would post this is up for those who are interested. I am certainly chuffed about it anyway Very Happy

The other day, I test drove an MA70 Supra from an imports yard. I have had my eye on a Supra ever since I sold my prelude.

Appart from the blown head gasket on the crappy 7M-GTE engine (which still ran) the car drives fine and is fairly tidy. I bargained the guy down from 5,200 to 4,600, knowing that it had a blwon head, and at that price, with 126,000kms it is perfect for my new project.

First of all, I am going to have to limp the car through the compliance inspection station as it is (as i bought it uncomplied). I am then planning on ripping the 7M motor out, as it is broken anyway, and swaping it with a 1JZ-GTE. Since i already have the R154 manual trans, I will need 1J engine mounts, cross member, flywheel and bellhousing. I am eyeing a 1J with no turbos at a cheap price, so i may get that and go with a single turbo set up

Other stuff that needs to be done is; minor paint work (roof, bonnet, and rear spoiler) and suspension. I am aiming to have the work (which I will my brother, who has already done the same swap into an 88 Soarer), and my dad completed in around 3 mths. By then I should have a car that puts out a ball park figure of around 200 rwkw.

P.S; if anyone has or knows where any of the parts that I listed above are floating around and wants to sell them, let me know.

Cheers

Okay, here are some quick shots, excuse the poor resolution
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/spiller/Supra1001.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v213/spiller/Supra2002.jpg

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 13:08]

Send a private message to this user    
Arrow
Newcomer

August 2005
icon14.gif  Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Wed, 10 August 2005 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very nice
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Wed, 10 August 2005 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are you plannig on doing with the old 7M?
Nice looking car by the way

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 10:00]

spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Wed, 10 August 2005 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i want to sell the old 7M if at all possible. I have no real need for it so any takers?
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Wed, 10 August 2005 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks very nice mate.

Good luck with conversion Smile
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much do you want for it? I'm local so maybe I can check it out some time?
spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah no probs at all mate. Im not sure on how much yet, ill have to talk to my older brother about it first, and I still have to find 1J parts before I rip anything out, so that should be soonish. I will certainly let you know when that is and you can come round and check it out if you want.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice car Razz

dan gimme a buzz you got my number, this is my brothers car so if you gimme a call during the week you can come and suss the motor if you like Smile
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 07:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Planning on using a front cut for the conversion? or looking for the parts piece by piece?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
front cut, not going down the bit by bit road again...

ever... Confused
Supra-Girl
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 22:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
great choice.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 23:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is that a GT Limited MA70? Digi dash and all the trimmings or down a few levels?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Thu, 11 August 2005 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it has the digi dash, and its a GT limited, no leather tho
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 01:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So the conversion will be very similar to the one that Matt and I did recently.

I shall find some helpful tid bits for you.
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes I was intent on studying that thread quite closely Smile
spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well we are not 100% on going with a complete front cut as yet. Maybe an engine and trans combination but not sure. Piece by piece will be a head fark and i cant be bothered really.
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless you get the engine for free, front cut is the cheapest/easiest. Unless you are lucky and find someone local who has a front cut that they pulled the engine only from so the rest is there.

Off the top of my head list of bit that you will require to do the job properly (read mirror conversion)
JZA70 Crossmember
A/C pump to firewall hose
A/C pump to condensor hose
P/S cooling line
P/S pump to rack line
P/S rack to cooling line
P/S return line
Intercooler (unless you are going Aftermarket)
Standard intercooler piping (unless you are going Aftermarket)
Bonnet support bar for jz I/C (unless you are going Aftermarket)
Accel cable
JZA boost sensors

spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that list dude, it will be of a big help. And yeah, I do want to do everything properly and have things in order so i will need those things, barring the intercooler stuff as I am going aftermarket. I also want to make the digital dash work. o you think this will be a massive problem that there is no way around?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We wired the engine loom to the standard MA70 body loom and the digi dash works right from the word go. (except boost guage goes nuts Rolling Eyes )
spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 06:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats extremely reassuring to hear, becuase no dash display is a bit of a prick when trying to keep a car free of defects. Also, i dont mind a nuts boost guage. As long as it still does something - the stock one isnt accurate anyway - its just their for 'bling' factor.

So was it a tricky wire up to get the dash working? Im assuming no if it worked first time?
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Fri, 12 August 2005 06:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hawww Grasshopper..... all wiring done with help of special plug conversion diagram! you not need to even pull dash apart.

I have info somewhere.
HKS_TRD
Regular

September 2002
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Sat, 13 August 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
D1 garage have just recently gotten a front cut in, JZA70 Type R five speed. They also brought the front and rear Recaro seats and door trims from the car in aswell. Might be worth your while to check it out, not sure what they are asking. BTW if you already have a R154 maybe we can work something out as I want/need a spare R154 to build up with my OS Giken Cross gear set and maybe a billet input shaft.
spiller
Regular

August 2005
Re: My MA70-1J conversion project Sat, 13 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous message
yeah ive heard about D1's front cut, although they want 4500 for it, which is a little too much. Can definately get them cheaper than that.

Also, I'm sure we could probabaly work something out if I end up with a spare R154. Are you still interested in the 7M as well?

[Updated on: Sat, 13 August 2005 04:34]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:PHURRY'S 85 CELICA
Next Topic:err help!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 21:31:05 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069739818572998 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.