Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

icon11.gif  Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 09:10 Go to next message
Hey guys,

I was looking into buying some wheels and guy told me that they are Front wheel drive offset and wouldnt go on RWD offset, just wondering whats difference ??
  Send a private message to this user    
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i have been told it has to do with camber. a FWD offset on a RWD car will create bad uneven wear on the front tyres. Thats what i have been told, if someone wants to confirm / deny this it would be good.
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A picture tells 1000 words Wink
If the offset is too high, it'll start hitting the struts/suspension components on cars meant for low offset.

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5750/offsets7af.png

Eddie.
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 10:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where were you when i had my offset problems. that pic doesn't really explain FWD and RWD offsets though, just offset as a whole
Big T
Forums Junkie

September 2004
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 10:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fwd offsets are generally (for Toyotas) higher than +30 or so. Rwd offsets are normally 20ish and below. In general, the wider the rims, the lower the offset has to be in order to fit the car properly.

I only really have experience with ae86/82/92 and nissan silvias so the larger cars (ie supras/soarers etc) might have different numbers for the offsets.

Eddie.
Fujiwara_ToFu
Regular

March 2004

Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Wed, 10 August 2005 16:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
superb diagram T Smile

-Jay
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Thu, 11 August 2005 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
FWD offsets are much higher than RWD offsets because a positive scrub radius on the driven wheels is bad news. If you draw an imaginary line through the steering pivot points to the ground, and compare that to the centre line of the tyre, that's the scrub radius. If a FWD car has any scrub radius at all you get nasty self-steer effects as torque is transferred to the wheel - so high offset wheels are used to make the scrub radius zero (or close to it).

Hope that made sense.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Difference between FWD & RWD offsets ? Thu, 11 August 2005 02:14 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 10:11

FWD offsets are much higher than RWD offsets because a positive scrub radius on the driven wheels is bad news. If you draw an imaginary line through the steering pivot points to the ground, and compare that to the centre line of the tyre, that's the scrub radius. If a FWD car has any scrub radius at all you get nasty self-steer effects as torque is transferred to the wheel - so high offset wheels are used to make the scrub radius zero (or close to it).

Hope that made sense.

Yeah, after reading it 3 times yeah.
Smile Smile

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:++ Help reqrd BADLY - 1j crank pulley (with toyota quotes) ++
Next Topic:4a T50's? (ae86/ae71)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 05:49:55 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048928260803223 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar