Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Track Talk » 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Mon, 13 September 2004 12:17 Go to next message
i know the title doesnt sound too interesting, but i couldnt believe it. ( and yes, it is true )
my bro ( about as sharp as a bowling ball when it comes to cars ) found his 5ME was a bit low on compression, and was not running really well... it was diagnosed as a head gasket, so he decided he was going to replace it himself. he replaced it, and for some reason it still ran like a dog, ( worse than a normal 5ME Razz ).
i presumed he had not torqued it down properly, or the head was warped or cracked as like i said, he aint that bright. it heated up really easily, and was presurising the radiator, so i thought, its rooted, cracked water jacket or something in the head.
take it to the mechanics for a strip down, coz i wouldnt let my bro near his own car, and i didnt have the time to do it. anyways, i get a call about a week later from the mechanic that goes something like this, "mate, you might want to come round and have a look at this thing, shes FUBAR'd!!"
i take the trip round there, to find the monstrosity on the ground.
the list goes : cyl bores no 2 and 5 had scoring marks close to .5 mm thick, water jackets in the block around 2,3,5 and 6 cyls had corroded so far that they have almost gone to the firing liners from not running coolent ( so there was no meat left for a head gasket ), the head was cracked between the valves and spark plug holes in EVERY cyl, head warped beyond repair, timing chain tensioner had only 2 teeth left, and timing chain was missing half of the side links ( which we found in the sump ), and last but not least, one of the rocker fingers was bent and another one cracked.
no wonder why he thought it was down on power!!!!!!
i knew he didnt particularly look after his car, but my god, i didnt ever think he was that bad. how wrong was i. lets just say that i think / hope this has convinced him to look after his shit a bit better.
thought it might make for an interesting ( if long ) read.
thoughts and comments???
anyone ever screwed something worse????
cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Mon, 13 September 2004 13:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Holy fark! Shocked Surprised
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Mon, 13 September 2004 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PICS OR BAN!! Laughing

PHEAR TEH 5M!!@
Yian
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

August 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 14 September 2004 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh, so thats the metal shavings I found at the bottom of my old 5ME sump. We thought they were bits of piston or piston rings. Ah well. Lucky I am getting rid of it.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 14 September 2004 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill try and get some pics of the carnage if the mechanic hasnt put it all back together yet, im thinking that he probably has.... Sad
why didnt i think of that earlier????? stupid, stupid, stupid Mad
onejayzed
Regular

September 2003
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 14 September 2004 09:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok thats ROOTED.

that's worse than my mate driving his datto home after putting a rod out the side of the block - like the whole rod coz the bolts snapped or were loose or whatever.

it was loud and it got real hot and didn't want to go any faster than first gear speeds, but he made it home.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 14 September 2004 11:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hahah
driving cars on less than the factory cylinder amount is always amusing ( though stupid of course ), but with holes in blocks and therefore massive cooling problems and oil pressure problems etc, thats kinda getting a bit excessive. Confused
bit off topic ( yes, i am hyjacking my own thread Razz ), but i will try and also get some pictures of a N14 cummins truck engine when things go REALLY wrong.
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Thu, 16 September 2004 01:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bahaha
ZZT231
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Mon, 11 October 2004 11:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
boxh34d,

As long as you don't do what I did and spend a bucket load to try and revive the engine coz at the end of the day, it will die from some other component failure - I am completly stumpted in wondering... WHY ME?

boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 12 October 2004 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha there is no way in hell i would spend money rebuilding a 5ME.
that would be like rebuilding a wippersnipper engine. . its cheaper just to buy a new one Razz
Goose
Regular

April 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Fri, 22 October 2004 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
that sounds similar to the state of my 7M its all good i didn't like the motor anyway
MS112
Occasional Poster

July 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 26 October 2004 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not going to laugh, though it does beat my engine in terms of disrepair hands down Laughing

(All we did was find sand in the intake manifold)

But it truely shows that the M series engine can truely take a beating!! Cool Razz
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Wed, 27 October 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aaaahhhh, nothing like a dusted engine is there. . . . .
a good one with the M's with the plastic cross over intake pipe, is it cracks at the bottom where the seam is. . .
i know of this happening a couple of times, and the owners wondered why it gradually lost power, and wouldnt start one morning. . . . it might have had something to do with three fifths of bugger all compression because there was no rings left!!!!! bwahahahaha
TheStitt
Forums Junkie

Membership Secretary

June 2002

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Thu, 28 October 2004 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the 5M crown we got

it had 100 thou on the clock and had onlybeen for 1 service the free one at 1500km. 3 plugs where loose it had been cooked a couple of times and for some reason the piece of shit ran like a trojan only used all the vital fluids it was all good.
inane
Newcomer

August 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Mon, 01 November 2004 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
onejayzed wrote on Tue, 14 September 2004 21:01

ok thats ROOTED.

that's worse than my mate driving his datto home after putting a rod out the side of the block - like the whole rod coz the bolts snapped or were loose or whatever.

it was loud and it got real hot and didn't want to go any faster than first gear speeds, but he made it home.

I know a guy who melted a piston in his 2jz-gte, and still managed to get the car home...

if you want an expensive repair... thats one for ya
Toyota Nut
Regular

December 2003
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 02 November 2004 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have sympathy for you, but find myself laughing my head off at your brothers complete stupidity, sorry mate.

This is however true testament that the people of Toyota build high quality cars and are not to be frowned upon regardless of how old the car is or what state it 'looks' to be in.
boxh34d
Regular

May 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 02 November 2004 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rest assured, noone laughed or is still laughing at him more than i!!!!
some people just dont seem to learn. . . . . .

and receiving sympathy was not the intention, providing some other people out there with a) a good laugh, and b) a testiment of how much abuse a toyota can actually take was my idea.
cheers guys.

[Updated on: Tue, 02 November 2004 23:21]

TRD_Supra
Forums Junkie

On Probation

December 2004
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Sat, 26 February 2005 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woot 5ME i am soo lucky to have one maybe one day i can do the same thing to mine!
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Fri, 08 April 2005 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
for every 5m you kill you get 20 years bad luck its a known curse
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Tue, 09 August 2005 14:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As the previous owner of a 4kc engined corolla Rolling Eyes I think we can safely say only a toyota engine would contintue to run in this bad condition. Laughing

ZZT231: Did you once spend a heap of money on a 5M only to have it die?? is that why you were warining me so much about 5m's in that other thread? If so I apologise, I thought you were trying to make fun of me when you were trying to stop me from making the same mistake.
SA63
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Wed, 10 August 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have spent a lot of money on the SA63 as well... But not as much as what ZZT231's MA61 has spent...

[Updated on: Wed, 10 August 2005 01:52]

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Wed, 10 August 2005 15:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pics reminder Wink
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: 5ME completely uber f*cked!!!! Thu, 11 August 2005 01:27 Go to previous message
Certainly is a testament to toyota that the thing still runs though Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Event Report: Motorkhana
Next Topic:missing a P plate
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 14:09:18 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069839954376221 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.