Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:33 Go to next message
Just want to know who out there has modded (big single) their 1JZ-GTE VVTI .... what did you do with the AFM?
As far as I know the stock AFM start restricting at about 230kw, convert the AFM to MAP sensor - what ECU did you use?
Im running the Power FC A.P Engineering (soarer) which does not allow to change to MAP sensor so im stuck with the AFM

I am going to run either a Q45 or Z32 AFM , the Q45 results in crappy idle - the tuners will be testing the Z32 AFM soon to see how it holds up.... has anyone ever been in the same boat as me? if so how was the problem fixed?
  Send a private message to this user    
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Mon, 23 May 2005 13:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not sure how the 1UZ afm goes, but I know that's an upgrade to the 7M afm
E30-323ti
Regular

June 2002
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Mon, 23 May 2005 20:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry I can't help.

But a friend of mine is currently putting a T70 onto his JZX100 and I presume he will have the same problems, so keep us posted on how it all works out.
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Mon, 23 May 2005 22:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What ECU is he running?
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Tue, 24 May 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was you and I was chasing bigger power, buy yourself a full aftermarket that can run vvti.

Best way to do it would be to buy another vvti 1jz with a cut loom. Pull the full loom/ecu/afm off your motor, attach it to other motor and sell as a package.
Then put the cutloom on your motor and wire it into now ecu.

You will now make a shitload more power
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Tue, 24 May 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The Power FC I have does run and control the VVTI, only problem i am having is the idle with the Q45 AFM
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Tue, 24 May 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Funny about that Rolling Eyes
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Wed, 10 August 2005 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soar, did you end up getting the Q45 AFM to work or testing that Z32 AFM out?
jasonp1977
Regular

May 2002
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 03:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've been translating the JZX100 powerfc manual for when my new motor/powerfc etc arrive for my chaser, in the manual it has a section about changing the AFM to either an 80mm VG30 AFM from a Z3? or a 90mm VH41 AFM from a Q45, I've not got around to translating that section yet though. I guess your tuners just went "setting">"airflow"> then either the VG30 or VH41 setting? what else did they try to get it to idle properly, what exactly was the idle doing?
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OKi....

What happened was that i did manage to get the car to idle properly with the Q45, however the Q45 is very sensitive to air disturbances . Initially the Q45 was located too close to the turbo, on my setup the pipe made from the turbo was made as far as possible, the swirl effect from the turbo was strong enough to distrupt the air.

What i ended up doing was taking the stock rubber pipe and using that as an extension to the Q45 to test it. Surprisingly enough the car idled without problems.
What i did was cut a bit of the bottom out where the airbox normally sits and run an extended pipe from the turbo down to just outside the engine bay (in the cavity where the SMIC use to sit) and attached the Q45 to it followed by a pod.

Im now getting pretty much air straight into the pod with no heat from the engine , just need to make sure the Q45 plug is sealed or taped properly incase water gets to it.

Occasionally the car may stall, usually if i come to a sudden stop it sometimes idles bad then stalls. But on normal driving its quiet good.

For those who are going to use the Q45 it is a very sensitive MOFO! , the Q45 was connected before without a pod and when you run your fingers across the surface of the Q45 you hear the idle change suddenly due to the disturbance that your finger makes to the air flow. Also for those who are heading this way, i suggest get an apexi super intake as that has a dual funnel affect which smooths out the air flow.

I am not sure how sensitive the Z32 is as i never tried it, but at this stage the Q45 is doing its job. The toyota stock AFM is good for around 220kw.

Alsternatively you can a piggy back ECU that utilises the map sensor, unfortunatly the power fc verison for the 1jz-gte vvti does not allow this.

I'll see if i have a pic of the setup...
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You know when your car is idling like sh#t when the car moans up and down, up and down then dies.... its ok when given a bit of reving to increase air flow, but with little air it struggles.... its a bit similar to when you reset the ecu but worse.
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the update. I've got the Power FC for my JZX100 too, and was getting a little worried I'd be capped at the low 200s
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you still have the mesh on the AFM?

The mesh is there to maintain an even flow.
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jasonp1977 wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 13:30

I've been translating the JZX100 powerfc manual for when my new motor/powerfc etc arrive for my chaser, in the manual it has a section about changing the AFM to either an 80mm VG30 AFM from a Z3? or a 90mm VH41 AFM from a Q45, I've not got around to translating that section yet though. I guess your tuners just went "setting">"airflow"> then either the VG30 or VH41 setting? what else did they try to get it to idle properly, what exactly was the idle doing?

Jason, if you wouldn't mind giving me a copy of your translated notes when you're done, I'd be VERY VERY grateful. I think most of it is pretty straightforward to tune, but the AFM and VVT-i operation has me a bit confused now.
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh , what ever you do, do not remove the mesh, at one stage we were about to remove it so we can connect a pipe to it... but luckily we didnt - also make sure you test the Q45 and its out putting the correct voltage.

I got one it seemed to work but was out putting the incorrect voltage.
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dojobi, what mods have you got planned for your JZX100 - or power figures your chasing? Its a manual right?

dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 04:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's an auto series 2 actually. I couldn't afford the manual unless I went for a series 1, and I really wanted the S2. I didn't mind so much that it was an auto because you can get Power FCs for auto JZX100s - which was a huge surprise when I first found that out.

So far, I've got a Power FC and an FMIC, and I'll probably pick up an exhaust for it fairly soon. I've already got a 4" Magic Cat for that. Unfortunately I've still got no car - it's still sitting in Sydney being complied. I've sat in it and taken photos at least though Smile

Long term, I'd like to get a Garrett GT3071R for it, which is why I was a bit worried about the 230rwkw limit on the stock AFM.

What plans have you got for yours?
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool.... i was just about to say i didnt think the power fc's came out for the auto box, but they changed that for the JZX100. as for the soarers the power fc was only available for the manual.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does anyone know why toyota switched to an AFM? Seems like a major pain in the ass to me.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 13:13

So does anyone know why toyota switched to an AFM? Seems like a major pain in the ass to me.

I read somewhere (not specific to Toyota though) that the AFM was used as it was more accurate and hence was better for emissions.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Chris Davey wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 15:13

What do you think would be better to measure the amount of air going into your engine? The manifold pressure (MAP) or an 'Air Flow Meter'....

Wink

Cheers
Wilbo
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whats a better measurement.

Something thats inches from the piston, or something thats a couple of meters from the piston?
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 06:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
When I fill up my kettle to make a cup of coffee I look at the scale on the side of it to see how much I'm putting in rather than with a meter attached to the tap.

They're just different ways really, although I do think the AFM is a slightly better solution for an engine. Chuck in an atmo bov or some other leak between the AFM and the head and it throws it right off though. So MAP has some benefits too.

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 06:11]

soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dojobi wrote on Thu, 11 August 2005 16:09

Chuck in an atmo bov or some other leak between the AFM and the head and it throws it right off though. So MAP has some benefits too.

Initially i had my BOV venting, plumb back ur bov and problem fixed... but i personally didnt notice any difference between the venting bov and plumb back bov.
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess Toyotas aren't as sensitive as Nissans then. My old car was an R33 Skyline and when I tried that, it really messed up the idle and caused stalling.

I'm not going to do that on my Chaser anyway. The stock BOV will do me just fine. I was just trying to say that both MAP and MAF are pefectly good ways of working out how much air is coming in.
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ive been told the stock BOV should be good for about 15psi, unless u want the full ricer noise
dojobi
Occasional Poster

September 2004

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, well I'm a bit over atmo bovs now, so the stock one should work perfectly. I've got a good hybrid one in a box around here somewhere if I do decide to really boost it up.
soar
Occasional Poster

April 2004
Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got the HKS SSBOV with the plumb back flange and holds 20psi perfectly no leaks at all
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Modify 1jz VVTI + AFM = ?!? Fri, 12 August 2005 02:54 Go to previous message
AFM is more accurate because it is measuring the MASS of air going in, and it's reading is less afected by temperature and density changes.
MAP on the other had is very sensitive to temp changes and changes in density (both of which alter the pressure) so it needs better control of temp enrichments etc...

maybe MAP is better for spark control, perhaps in regards to knock, but for fuel AFM is superior. the restriction may not be that great, but for all out, perhaps MAP is a little better..
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze exhaust and inlet part numbers
Next Topic:3TGTEU intercooler pipe routes? Help and advice needed.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 2 14:24:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060229301452637 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.