Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 09:49 Go to next message
Ok, this is the story.
When I drive around and it's really cold, as in 6am on the way to work, or 11pm+ if I'm on late shift coming home, my temp guage will sit on the high side of the standard operating temp (from here on in known as SOT) and will work its way up to the highest SOT mark no matter if I'm on the freeway with plenty of chilly airflow or cruising along with traffic.
But then when I'm driving around during the day and the weather is not exactly warm but no where near as cold as early morning or late night, my temp will sit on the low side of SOT most of the time. Stopped in traffic or at lights for a while, it will creep up to the high SOT mark until the fan comes on or I start moving & get some airflow, & it will drop straight back down to the lower half of SOT.

It never really gets HOT hot, just to the upper limits of SOT, and then stays there. Can anyone come up with even a vaguely convincing theory on why this might be happening? I can't figure it out for shit....

BTW, it's an RA23 with 4AGTE that was freshly built/rebuilt around 9 months ago, & the temp guage has been overhauled & calibrated by VDO guages, & it's even using an 18R-C water temp sensor to suite the guage.
  Send a private message to this user    
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 10:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are the fans coming on at night? Ie is it just running on the verge of the fan switch all the time - in other words is it getting hot enough for the fans to come on?

also dont forget that cold air is a lot denser = cooler weather doesnt always make cars run better.

Could it be blocked radiator? that explains highway driving running too hot....or a worn water pump (meaning not enough flow at high rpm on highway)?

[Updated on: Thu, 11 August 2005 10:17]

river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

Is this the car that blew a welsh plug... and had something going on with the bell housing?

Anyway.... sounds like a thermo problem to me. I know you've calibrated it and all that jazz, but it sounds highly suspicous the way it goes high or low and never sits nicely in the middle. It sounds like the thermostat is sticking. Take it out and dump it into some cool water in a saucepan on the stove. Use a good thermometer and crank up the heat and see if it opens properly. Then cool the water down and see if it closes properly. Check the temp with factory specs (or with whatever specs you have defined for your engine) to see if it operates accordingly.

If it works fine, then I'd be looking at the thermo switch for the fans to see if they're coming on and off according to specs.

I'm assuming the engine is fine and runs well. No BHG or other thing which maybe causing some issues with the motor?

seeyuzz
river

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 10:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river, the thermos would make the gauge move i believe...my ma70's gauge moves up and down in regard to when the fans come on at 90 and off at 85...

But the sticky thermostat would be causing problems all the time, and he said that during the day its fine?
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I knew that! I was just testing. Smile

Maybe he's accidently put in a night-switch instead of a thermo switch and that's why it goes off at night. Rolling Eyes

seeyuzz
river
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: WTF, hot when cold, cold when hot?!? Thu, 11 August 2005 13:15 Go to previous message
mmmm, long shot is tuning is too lean w/r cold temps, so runnign lean... combined with fan not quite coming on.....

one thing you could try is to block 1/3rd fo the radiator.. that should decrease the cooling effect of driving when cold, and force fans to come on more often.. maybe that can help diagnose...??
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:180mm 4agze crank pulley kit
Next Topic:4AG starters
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 11:54:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048952102661133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.