Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » home made head studs?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 06:52 Go to next message
this might be a really dumb question but is there any reason why it wouldnt be a good idea to get a peice of high tensile all thread, chop it into sections and then use them for home made studs for my exhaust and intake flanges?
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really, but it won't look as pretty..

can you get high tensile threaded bar that you can cut to length??

my only thoughts are that the un-engaged section of the thread will be weaker than if you had a properly sized stud with a threadless section, but that should be ok unless vibration is significant...

will it be cheaper than buying proper studs?
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
they wont be as good as arp,and for the work it just wouldnt be worth it.
mick
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do it, but when you can get studs for stuff all anyway, it's not really worth it... I get mine from my local exhaust shop, usually pay a couple of $ for a handful whenever I need them for something. You can buy them in bigger quantities even cheaper of course, but it's hardly worthwhile just to put one car together...
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 15:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
high tensile all-thread is usually quite cheap however the M8 size is considered to be an unusual size by the place I called and has a high price premium, it was $35 a meter. They did however have a stainless all-thread for $7.50 a meter.

kingmick: To make my studs I would just clamp on a limit on my cut-off saw and then cut them all at once. Once I have done that I would quickly round the ends a little on the linisher to get rid of burrs and to take care of the thread. So I am sure it would take very little time. Whats the ARP ones cost do you know?

The stainless steel is sopposedly equivolent to a grade 7, I don't know the grade of steel. Do you guys think this is an ok material to use?

mrshin: I didn't know eqhuast shops sold these, what did they charge you for them and what should I be asking for if I was to get some off them?
YelloRolla
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: home made head studs? Fri, 12 August 2005 22:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
studs are also available in "grab packs" from Repco, Autopro etc. I cannot remember the brand (maybe Champion) they are on a carousel stand in the local shops that I have seen. If they don't have the size that you are after they may be able to order them for you.

Of course can always cut the Booker bar. In which case one sees little reason to post here.

Personally I feel going to the ARP catalogue for the intake and exhaust flanges is just extravagant. The manufacturing techniques that make ARP fasteners so good are just not relevant to holding your intake manifold on.

P.S don't forget your local Toyota dealership for the studs.
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: home made head studs? Sat, 13 August 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Even mitre10 sometimes have the little plastic packs of studs - inc nut and split-washer. They come in metric & imperial sizes

From memory, they're reasonably cheap - making it a bit pointless fabricating your own.
Sam_Q
Forums Junkie

December 2003

Re: home made head studs? Sat, 13 August 2005 05:14 Go to previous message
I didnt know they were readily avilable, I will go to Repco first to see what they have.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:wiring 3d to 4agze
Next Topic:MA70 Dash into SA63
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 08:30:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.003864049911499 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.