Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 02:45 Go to next message
Just researching at this point but who knows what is involved to convert to a dry sump setup and how much of a performance benefit does it have.

My plans are 1j or 2j into an MA61. I believe there are various different sump configurations on these engines and that I need a front sump donor. Will a dry sump setup mean I can buy any sump configuration, dry sump it and not worry about it having to clear the cross member.

The idea is more for donor choices, but performance is a factor aswell as this car will see track days.

Cheers, Tim
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You do know a drysump setup will cost a couple of thousand $$$?
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrUZsida wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 12:55

You do know a drysump setup will cost a couple of thousand $$$?

Ahhhhh well, the answer to that question is no I didn't, but thats why Im asking.
But why is it so expensive ?
What actually needs to be done, my thoughts were a remote resevoir, filter and pump aswell as the mods for the sump itself, but I don't know what thoses mods are.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 03:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't looked into it deeply as I can't see myself ever doing it, but you need a custom sump, various pickup point, couple of pumps, brackets, custom pulley setup, etc etc.

Have a look at the drysump on here, and tell me what you think its worth.

http://www.dysfunction.ws/galleryapp/hasselgren/jg tc0974
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 03:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you haven't done one before then it's not easy to get it right the first time.
You can do it reasonably cheaply, but it's still going to be over $1,000 odd.
Best go visit a few race teams to see what has to be done and perhaps convince one of their fabricators to do the sump for you.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Converting to dry sump is a Good Thing if you're building a dedicated circuit racer. If you're just looking for a way to avoid buying a front sump engine, this is not the solution for you!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are looking for a pump you can get some ex-nascar/stock car ones on US ebay for quite good prices.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
price, maybe $1-2000...

parasitic loss of kw turning the dry sump pump?
plus extra weight of pumps, tanks, lines etc, as well as extra oil (what? 8-10L??)
just a few things to consider

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 15:29

price, maybe $1-2000...

parasitic loss of kw turning the dry sump pump?
plus extra weight of pumps, tanks, lines etc, as well as extra oil (what? 8-10L??)
just a few things to consider

The coolness factor will out weigh all of the above Shocked
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 09:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
very little performace gains!more to keep race engines alive for longer!
suppose its time to let another secret out! get a morosso oil accumulator!
mick
Enchanter
Regular

July 2005
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So it seems its not the best idea price wise to do this unless the car is a dedicated race car. Im still interested though if not to actually use on the MA61, then to atleast know the workings of them.
Ive found a site that seems to explain it a little

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/question331.htm

Thanks guys Smile

kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol ask away what do you want to know about dry sumping?
mick
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The idea is simple, the bits and pieces involved are not...

The pumps cost a fair bit (e.g. four stage pump will always be $1000+), even if you can make the oil container and sump yourself, you'll still be up for the oil cooler, belt drive gear, and the killer of them all, the oil lines (braided hose and speedflow fittings ain't cheap...)

Some folks have done homemade jobs by joining together old Holden oil pumps etc. But if you're just looking for a way to get a JZ into your street driven MA61, it'd be better value to find a front sump engine. They do exist, you just have to do a bit of ringing around when you want one...
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 17:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Fri, 12 August 2005 15:29

A good dry sump system will use around half the oil of a standard wet sump.
We often run about 2.5 - 3.0 litres in total in the race car.

If you build the system properly, you'll pick up a bit of power - even though you're driving the extra pump - because of the reduction in windage from the crank, and the lower retention of oil by the crank.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Dry sump conversion Fri, 12 August 2005 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What pumps do you use Bill?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 08:31

What pumps do you use Bill?

We use the existing pressure pump and make our own scavenge pumps. The current one uses two Holden 308 (sorry!) gear pump gears on a single shaft.
Salad Fingers
Occasional Poster

March 2005
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tell me more about these 308 oil pumps....
Are they hard to adapt to a standalone config?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Salad Fingers wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 17:34

Tell me more about these 308 oil pumps....
Are they hard to adapt to a standalone config?

Yep. It takes a lot of fabricating and milling.
And they still leak. Wink

One thing with them is that they pump quite a high volume and so we have to spin them relatively slowly to the engine, or they pump too much and power is wasted.

Here it is ->
http://www.billzilla.org/drysumppump.jpg

The latest pump we made uses two sets of oil pump gears from a 4AGE, and it bolts right onto the front of the engine & uses a small shaft to drive it.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bill why not just use a two stage pump?a avaid 3 stage is only $1200. for your sprinter get a accumulator bill, they work a treat and you can use them to pre prime. ill get you one if you want only cost a couple of hundred. hows the bellhouses going bill?
mick
p.s ill right a bit on dry sumping in the morning as its kiwi wipping time,or we will get wipped.
clubagreenie
Forums Junkie

November 2002

Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 09:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://i2.ebayimg.com/03/i/04/8f/15/c3_1_b.JPG

Moroso 4 stage $600- ATM on ebay. An SCR and Barnes for $400- and $225- respectively, thats US$, plus lines, tank, cooler, pan.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 18:11

bill why not just use a two stage pump?a avaid 3 stage is only $1200. for your sprinter get a accumulator bill, they work a treat and you can use them to pre prime. ill get you one if you want only cost a couple of hundred. hows the bellhouses going bill?
mick
p.s ill right a bit on dry sumping in the morning as its kiwi wipping time,or we will get wipped.

We only need a single-stage scavenge on the Suzuki.
We build the pumps for under $200. Wink

Why would I need an accumlator on the Sprinter? It's all stock, with the 3SGE in it.
The bell housings should be done by around the end of the month but I'm not sure when I can get them back to Aus, sorry.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 13:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
be very careful with a secound hand dry sump pump. most people sell them after a blow up,so make sure you check inside them for damage.
bill but the time that goes into building them must be well over the $200 by the look of the setup?.

the accumulator stops any surge and great for prime,your not lap dashing the sprinter?.
mick
p.s bloody kiwi's, well done.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 14:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kingmick wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 23:44

be very careful with a secound hand dry sump pump. most people sell them after a blow up,so make sure you check inside them for damage.
bill but the time that goes into building them must be well over the $200 by the look of the setup?.

the accumulator stops any surge and great for prime,your not lap dashing the sprinter?.
mick
p.s bloody kiwi's, well done.

Ah, but our time is free. Wink
No, the Sprinter is not being used in competition any more. Well, maybe the odd run but if I want to do that I've got much faster cars to run.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sat, 13 August 2005 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
want to laugh!our sport sedan record at eastern is now 600th of a second of the supercarts record!not bad, i think.
mick
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Dry sump conversion Sun, 14 August 2005 02:09 Go to previous message
ok! we only use 4 stage pumps on V8's that are making 650hp-720hp.there is no point using a 4 stage on most engines at all.
a proper dry sump setup on a race car will cost you about $5000-$8000.a good tank is about the $800 mark with baffles and side entry to spin the oil.good filters are around the $300 mark,pump will be from $1200-$2500,braided lines and fittings around the $1200-$2000 depending on the setup.then depending on engine you need to mesh the gallerys and set it up internally for dry sumping.a pan will cost between $400-$1200.then there is the catch can and the pulley setup to drive the pump.

it can also be done for very cheap if you use rubber hose,second hand pump etc etc this could be done for $1500 if you shop around for the bits and peices.but as there is accumulators that work very well on the track and can be bought for under $500 it comes done to how much do you want to spend.
if my scanner was working i could show you hundreds of pics of diffrent dry sump systems i have made for circuit cars{is there a company you can give pics to and they put them all on disc?}.
mick
p.s god i hate hangovers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Camry (99 model) and SV21 transmission oil
Next Topic:88270 or 88250 What's the difference???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 01:49:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064949989318848 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.