Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Wed, 29 January 2003 07:56 Go to next message
I received my Apexi SAFC today and have the day off tommorow so may try to install it.

Can anyone who has done this give me some pointers on what is needed to do/any tricky bits etc.

I haven't even read a manual for it yet so have no idea.

TIA,
  Send a private message to this user    
1bam777
Regular

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Wed, 29 January 2003 11:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as the instructions are in English, you shouldn't have a problem.... Don't forget that the manuals DO NOT show you the throttle hookup. Make sure that you put the grey wire to the throttle wire on the ECU as indicated by the wiring manual.

Cheers
ytri
Regular

June 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Wed, 29 January 2003 21:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Let us know how it goes after its installed!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Thu, 30 January 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Installing the SAFC looks easy from the Apexi instructions. The harder part is tuning. Expect to pay another $400 odd getting the thing dyno tuned though.
JZZ30MAN
Regular

August 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Thu, 30 January 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You could also try doing a search on the Soarer website www.lexus.auatralia.as and do a search of their forums for "Apexi AFC" and you should find a few tips. Manny has been particularly useful.
Otherwise I know of an install happening on the 15th Feb at the ALSC Club meeting in Newcastle.
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok... I've read the manuals on the Apexi USA website and it all looks fairly simple.

Didn't try installing yesterday as it was too freakin hot!!!

Will give it a go on Saturday.

One thing I noticed is my wiring loom has a few extra wires than in the manual. They have been tapped up and obviously weren't used by the last owner (second hand). Is this normal?

I'm pretty sure I know the response I'm going to get here but anyway....

What are peoples opinions on 'lightly' modifying the AFR without the use of a dyno?

By lightly I mean leaning it out by no more than 10% at a few places in the rev range.

Keep in mind that my dyno graph looked like this:

http://users.bigpond.com/simon.lawrence/dyno2.jpg

I do intend on putting it back on the dyno in the next week or two but was wondering if I should leave it completely alone until then or do some educated estimates and try and improve the ratios now (notice 'improve' not correct or fix was used).
JZZ30MAN
Regular

August 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Manny for this site and on the ALSC site has some numbers to set the AFC at for intake and exhausted 1JZ's that sound like what your looking for. He may have already posted them on one of the forums. How about finding on of his threads and his email address and talk with him direct. He's going to give me the numbers for mine to do on 15th.
Michael
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i reconmend getting a buddy that lives not to far from your work t help you install it but make sure he has installeed it before preferably on another 1J powered car Very Happy just bring it over dewd we'll fix it up at my place ....i've got all the wiring diag, manuals ect. ect. plus i think it's fun Very Happy
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 00:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Be very careful with preset numbers. Over the years, each car would have aged and worn differently, and the computer would be adjusting to compensate for those changes. It is possible that you may go too lean and the engine will promptly follow with a large pop. Mind you, every Soarer TT I've seen so far has been running mega rich mixtures from the factory, but it's just something to keep in mind.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 00:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'll still rip ya though Laughing
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Pete, I've already lined up with my Bro to do it on Saturday.

Thanks for the offer though.

I would really apreciate if you could email your current settings so I can see what you've adjusted.

Thanks for the advice guys,

I think I will do som very mild tuning of it. Not to perfect the ratios but just to improve a little.

If anything, hopefully it may mean the professional who does it on the dyno won't take as long and so will not charge as much.

EDIT:
oh and pete, I've got the manuals too. Why do you think I came to work today.....

Honestly Paolo, this is work related printing.
Laughing Laughing Laughing

[Updated on: Fri, 31 January 2003 01:18]

mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Fri, 31 January 2003 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i do mine on the fly by feel of the car...every time i put fuel in or with temp changes i compesate....i know ive got no tuning tools buy hey who knows my car like me huh???
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Sun, 02 February 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok guys.... I put the SAFC in yesterday. No problems, fairly quick operation.

I haven't tried modifying the settings at all at this stage but am a little concerned that it isn't working properly.

The unit turns on and does the fancy startup crap.

When you put in in Monitor mode, the pressure reading does not change at all (sits at 760mmHg) and the RPM is way off. ie it idles at 0 RPM and goes no higher than about 280RPM.

The throttle sensor works perfectly and the airflow reading does display data, but acording to the manual it shouldn't as I don't run an airflow meter.

Anyone got an idea on what I've done wrong. I didn't think the car would start if I'd stuffed it up.

Cheers,
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Sun, 02 February 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Correction.... just checked something and it is now displaying the MAP sensor info.... this is good

Revs is still a bit of a problem though as it won't ever get to an adjustment point at this stage.....

What do I do.
mx83toy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Sun, 02 February 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from the first menu select ect...go into graph scale and set the presure option to 1 bar also go to the car type srt it to 6 and the arrow going up be sure to set the sensor type to presure as well the booklet told me to use 01 10 but 10 10 works better on mine...if you like i'll come fix it up after work....wot time you finishing?
Remedy
Regular

August 2002

Re: Installing SAFC into JZZ30 Soarer Sun, 02 February 2003 12:51 Go to previous message
Nah all the settings are correct.

As far as I know the Pressure sensor settings should be set to 01 in 01 out.

You only need to change the numbers if its got twin AFM or the like....

Thats what it says in the manual and if you stuff it up the car won't start.

I think I'll try hooking the Rev sensor up to the Second Rev Signal on the ECU. Hopefully that will get it working.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Can you get rid of the 108km/h speed limit on Cruise Control?
Next Topic:4age exaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:06:01 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050699710845947 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.