Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SL666
Regular

October 2004
diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 04:40 Go to next message
looking at one of these for my hilux, just wanted a few opinions on a non-4wd sense...

think it will take the punishment? - they do have a 3yr warranty..

http://www.4wdsystems.com.au/html/lokka.htm

FYI it will be behind an auto 1J in a 84 hilux extra cab
  Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it could feel nasty in a non 4wd sense...

it locks then unlocks then locks and unlocks... as the teeth engage and disengage.....

maybe not so good for a hard driven car... in fact, maybe not so good for a car..

this is like the detroit locker no? outside wheel disengages, but inner wheel provides traction... ooh, that sounds wrong Wink
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure about the teeth thing, as far as i read it, it makes at least one wheel go at the speed the tailshaft directs, the other is free to go faster, might be a little odd for cornering...

i either need to go for

1. spool
-not legal, no good for low speed parking etc

2. TIGHT LSD
-if its shimmed as tight as i want it, it will act a lot like a spool.
-wear Sad
-might not like drag racing

3. lokka
-would be okay for parking, should take a reasonable amount of abuse

4. detroit
- like the lokka but with more clunking, and centre locks on throttle, at least with the lokka that isn't going to happen until one whell is spinning.

5. other
-please dont suggest torsen
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what re you planning on using it for, and why is torsen no good?
about the only application that torsen is not good is very high power, where it may break, and 4WD, where you completely lose traction on one wheel..

oh oh.. you forgot the other good one if all you are after is straight line.. ARB air-locker Very Happy
open until you want it to be fully locked at the touch of a button Wink
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 05:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was seriously considering an air locker.. (and if this thing doesn't work, still will be) difference being about $1000.. yes seriously..

its going to be an everydayer, some drags, some motorkhana (maybe) scooting off into the bush to get firewood.. y'know the stuff all good utes are used for.. im also hoping for 400rwhp in 12 months or so.. mostly its abuse.. im going to abuse the ass out of it.. (hence me asking them if their 3yr warranty covers 2wd use)

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 05:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well. money is just money... $1000 is only $20 per week Wink

to me, torsen is the pick of the bunch, unless you will be in mud/rocks or other very low traction situations where the low traction wheel has none.

otherwise, a spool is good for everything except cornering and axles.

if you are not planning to corner hard at high speed, then maybe an airlocker is best for you.. locked for drags/off-road work, and easier to drive around town than detroit/lokka/clutch pack (if it's tight)

$20 a week Razz

Quote:

mostly its abuse.. im going to abuse the ass out of it

i like it.. i like it a lot Laughing

as for warranty, most warranties do not cover abuse.. just manufacturing defects... only way to tell is to be upfront (but anonymous, and ask one of their agents if it covers your intended application...

[Updated on: Sun, 14 August 2005 05:49]

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
true, but its $1000 i wont have before summernats when it has to be able to cut sick hoops Smile

i just think what i plan to do with the car, a torsen just wont love it at all.. and besides, they are $$$ too..

its not really going to handle all that well, so im not too worried about its high speed cornering, i had a tight LSD in my gemini and it made it have a tendancy to understeer, followed by oversteer Smile i suspect that with my driving 'style' i should seriously look at a 'locking' soloution..

my longer term plans involve having a compressor for the air shocks i will be fitting anyway, so perhaps i might opt for a air-locker in the long run, but for now i think it has to be between the detroit and the lokka.. a torsen would probably do the job quite well too, but i just don't have the confidence it will stand up to the punishment i'm going to dish out Smile
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh man these lockers will cope fine , i ran one in my 1jz hilux for a year , with no probs , went to a tight lsd .. now i want the locker back !!! locker was better than tight lsd , locker handles 400rwhp better than my lsd .

manmx83
Regular

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 16:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Lokka.Great name! Slylux,you used 1 for a year,something must have made u pul it out?It was good at the drags? Anything unusual about the feel? Cheers.Pete. Smile
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Sun, 14 August 2005 21:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sly:

was okay for just tooling around? - fine to nip down the shops etc?

BTW did you cut your rad support?
do you have any engine bay pics? i can't remember where they were..

Blackers
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Mon, 15 August 2005 02:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can buy it back off me for what I paid you!
Cheers
Mark
slylux
Regular

January 2003
    nup
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Mon, 15 August 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep was sick , its constantly locked .. and then unlock when u roll around a corner .. no power .. it does ratchet when unlocked , but basically the same a full locked diff all other times .. when the power is on it always stays locked .. 1 thing to watch for is to roll into a corner then alloy power ..eg half way around corner .. it snaps into a locker and can be very dangerous ..

but the reason i removed was because of a gearbox prob .. i thought it was the diff .. but found out later it was the box .. ( but i have a new box now ) and wanna go back to the lokka .. ( ps i can source these ex USA for much less 4wdsystems ) i got my first one from 4wdsystems but ill get the next one ex usa

mark i can now get one cheaper than what u paid

SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Mon, 15 August 2005 20:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy i think one of these migh suit my purposes perfecly Very Happy
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can you hilux lads get minispools for the G series rear end?

I desperately want one for the soarer now its a dedicated track car as I am sick to death of piss farting around with shitty LSD's that open up and sadly I cant afford the 2K necessary for a kazz/trd/cusco two way LSD...

any help would be awesome
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hilux full spools here:

http://www.difftechnics.com.au/carriers_spools.htm
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah JCMF pointed that one out

im after a minispool tho
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
*COUGH* BOCLOCK *COUGH*
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah but welding the 4 pinion diff is fucked Sad

its not like your conventional commodore one wheel smoker where there is a nice viewing window and you weld the fookers together nice and neat...

any suggestions on how to weld it up so the fucken thing wont break after 5 laps Sad

Someone has mentioned cutting a big slice in the side of the diff casing and filling that with weld.

has anyone tried that?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how did u lock it in the 1st place maybe there was a step in the process that caused it to be weaker?

did u do it in one massive red glowing blob?

how long did u let it cool before you took it out on track?

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah we just welded the 4 pinions together and it worked, it was left to cool overnight before it was put onto the track...

im sure there must be a better method for locking it so it will last...
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep there is a better way

make a plate and weld one end of the spider gear housing closed. then fill the spider gears with high tensile nuts n bolts + weld. do this slow bit by bit be patient let it cool. dont make one big molten mess. once full of shit weld the 2nd plate on to enclose the lot.

let it all cool and harden.

you can put it in too early, let it cool, if its one big molten blob, then u might end up warping other components which will bring failure on faster.

done
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: diff 'lokka' in a hilux Tue, 16 August 2005 05:12 Go to previous message
awesome cheers!!! Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Grinding noise..spigot bearing?
Next Topic:headgasket leaking? or?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 19 09:03:32 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0091931819915771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.