Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 3sge into KE20?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
fabke
Occasional Poster

August 2003
3sge into KE20? Tue, 26 August 2003 08:41 Go to next message
Has anyone done a 3sge into an early corolla such as a KE20?

If so what problems were encoutned?

Send a private message to this user    
DJ345
Regular

April 2003
Re: 3sge into KE20? Wed, 27 August 2003 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im thinking of doing the same to a 25. Asked the same question a couple of days ago havent had much resoponse yet. good luck let me know how it goes.
Damo
fabke
Occasional Poster

August 2003
Re: 3sge into KE20? Wed, 27 August 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cheers

What mods have you done to the 25?

rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3sge into KE20? Wed, 27 August 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this site might help, closest car to a KE20 i know of to receive a 3S-GE

clickety click
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3sge into KE20? Wed, 27 August 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, bill would be your fountain of knowledge for this one.

problems are.
engine was mostly only FWD (except IS200??)
height of motor,
length of motor,
sump vs cross-member positions,
getting a W box in the KE20 tunnel (methinks it will have to be cut and widened. the T box fits nicely, but the W is maybe a bit large) and also getting a RWD bellhousing for it (or do 2S ones fit?)

apart from that, it's the normal issues such as enging mounts, intake, exhaust, brakes etc. pretty much all the intake and exhaust will be custom (not that much hassle, just cut and take to a welder)

i'm starting to seriously think about a 3SGE into a KE10, but that will be at least 6 months off, and a lot more work than a KE20 Sad

a highly strung 3SG in a 700kgish early corolla would be an awesome car to drive!!! i would say much better than a 4AG or 4AGZ/TE.... but more hassle to do...

give it a go... break some new ground and say "well, not every other man and his dog have done it yet!" Very Happy
Cya, Stewart
ke203sge
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: 3sge into KE20? Sun, 17 October 2004 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This weekend i tried shoehorn a 3S-GE beams into my KE20. Like i thought, it didn't fit. But not in the places i expected.
I had to remove the anti roll bar to clear the oil pan, the oil filter hits where the caster bar is attached to the frame. And the worst is rear bottom end and clutch housing laying upon the steering bar. AND the engine crossmember should be flipped left-right, moved 10 cm forward or be replaced with something else to clear the same area as steering.

I swapped it in WITH the j160 since it refused to come off the the engine. Actually it fits! Except the gear stick ended up 20cm rear of the K40 hole. Anyway I have plans to weld over the entire tunnel from RS200 instead of widen out the old one. A bonus is a free tranny crossmember incl. holes for it.

And the front suspension is to be upgraded so i hope i can use a celica supra crossmember as well as rest of the suspension, brakes and rack steering
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3sge into KE20? Mon, 18 October 2004 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.garagedori.com/tech/3sgteke25.php

This may help a little.

Callum
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3sge into KE20? Mon, 18 October 2004 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

1.) Make sure you have enough money to complete your project.

LOL, Very Happy
indigoid
Regular

September 2002

Re: 3sge into KE20? Mon, 18 October 2004 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ooooh hello skody Very Happy

edit: stewart, is200 in australia has 1G engine, not 3S...

[Updated on: Mon, 18 October 2004 03:03]

carina_72
Occasional Poster

August 2005
Re: 3sge into KE20? Wed, 10 August 2005 22:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ke203sge wrote on Mon, 18 October 2004 02:54

I had to remove the anti roll bar to clear the oil pan, the oil filter hits where the caster bar is attached to the frame. And the worst is rear bottom end and clutch housing laying upon the steering bar.I swapped it in WITH the j160 since it refused to come off the the engine. Actually it fits! Except the gear stick ended up 20cm rear of the K40 hole.
I found same "probs" in my 3S-GE beams into TA12 carina. Now engine and tranny fits great. It can be done and only thing where have to "spoil" chassis is gear stick hole. So it fits great atleast into *A1* / *A2* carina/celica
ke203sge
Newcomer

October 2004
Re: 3sge into KE20? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm... hmm... inspiration, here u'll meet nothing but resistance!
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 3sge into KE20? Sun, 14 August 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not really. there is KE35 with 3SGE on the list too.. steve??
domasik
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 3sge into KE20? Sun, 14 August 2005 21:39 Go to previous message
ok well first thing is the 3sge beams will probably be alot harder to do, as stated on bills shit, the rocker cover is very bulky and sits alot higher, the beams is also alot more complicated compared to a gen2 MR2 motor.

having said that, converting a gen2 motor to rwd has its hassels, if uve ever seen one mounted they are tilted towards the cabin on a slant, when u mount it in RWD foramt its going to be pretty much level, if not slanted in the other direction slightly which screws up ur oil pickup casue its picking up from the wrong spot, to have the engine running at its best its a good idea to cut and shut the oil pickup and the sump to accomodate it. a 2S bellhousing will mate a W series gearbox to the motor, and you can even use 2S engine mounts but itll leave the motor in the wrong angle.

basically if u get a free 3sge and dont care how long it lasts, use 2s engine mounts, 2s bellhousing bolt the sucker in a drive it in rwd format until ur bearings shit themselves

also gearbox is too big for tunnel ud be best off starting with a ke30.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:crack turbine
Next Topic:4AGTE SETUP
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Mar 29 10:06:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075380802154541 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.