Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » st162 overheating going to snow!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
st162 overheating going to snow! Fri, 12 August 2005 02:05 Go to next message
I have installed a replacement radiator (pickapart) and haven't had any trouble, until I decided to cruise up my local mountain pass (donna buang) to visit the snow... Now the first time i did, it was pretty flat to the floor all the way up, and it overheated, thought 'oh well, probably givin it more than it can take', but last weekend I took a few mates up and cruised at around 60 kmph up all way, got 2 3rds of the way up and the temp guage in the red again. What is goin on, is it my thermostat? Also I noticed that the fan takes ages to come on, any way to adjust? I have been stuck in traffic in city with no issues...

Thanks in advance...
  Send a private message to this user    
carsanactra
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Fri, 12 August 2005 03:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check ur water pump, and look for clogs in the new radiator.

its more than likely something that u damaged when puttin in the raditor, so check ur sensors etc too..

RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Fri, 12 August 2005 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yer if your fans were dodgy you would only notice it really when you were in traffic, not when cruising
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Fri, 12 August 2005 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Possibly some debri has clogged yr wreckers radiator. It may have been OK to start with, but once the debri collects in the core it will overheat too easily until you back flush it.
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Sat, 13 August 2005 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for replies, the water pump is fine, that has been fixed a couple months ago, will flush radiator out... see how that goes. Just some radiator flush from autobarn i assume?
berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Sat, 13 August 2005 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
doubtful that its the radiator if its fine in traffic, maybe the water pump wasnt put in right??? it seems weird that its fine in traffic
bmgtz
Occasional Poster

July 2005
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Sun, 14 August 2005 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No dont just put some autobarn flush threw the system. take the rad out of the car and run high pressure water into the bottom outlet. this will blow all the gunk that is blocking the internal tubes out. radiator flush just frees it up so it can go become a problem elsewhere it the system
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Sun, 14 August 2005 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha, sounds like what happened to me. I changed the thermostat, radiator, waterpump and the car would still overheat at random. No frothy oil, no oil in water so it wasn't a HG. Never found out what it was... possibly a blocked bypass pipe.

When it overheats, if you let it cool down does it just drive like normal again - not overheat again for a long time?
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Mon, 15 August 2005 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No frothy oil, no oil in water so it wasn't a HG

that can be true but also untrue, in my last car there was no oil in the water and no water in the oil but the car still needed a head gasket, it could be a combustion leak in the head gasket, when it is a combustion leak it is letting exhaust air in the head which causes it to overheat it may take a while before it overheats but trust me you can ask anyone that went on the leura candy store cruise what happened to my car.
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Mon, 15 August 2005 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, many opinions... It has got to be something to do with when the car is under increased and consistant strain (up an increased gradient with either full car of mates, or foot flat to the floor (up mt donna)) Like I said it hasn't had any trouble in traffic, but it hasn't been subjected to high ambient temps lately, so that could change in the summer.

Quote:

When it overheats, if you let it cool down does it just drive like normal again - not overheat again for a long time?

yeah no problems with the car afterwards... only overheats going up that mountain, will steer clear of it from now on.

maybe there is something not internally right with the motor, seeing as the water pump already let go on me, but if it was a HG how much $ would I be looking at...

btw when I start the car in the morning and give it a rev, there is a fair bit of water comin out the exhaulst but i put this just down to moisture.
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Mon, 15 August 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your looking at a new head gasket if you do it your self or get someone that knows how to do it and has a torque wrench it will cost about $20-$30 for a new head gasket but if you buy a torque wrench it is about $150-$300 for one, but if you dont know anyone then your looking at big $$$$$$ for a mechanic to change your head gasket it cost about $700-$1000 because of labor but if you go to my mechanic he did my head gasket for only $550 which is pretty cheap.
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Mon, 15 August 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yea go to your local mechanic and get your car a head gasket test, depending on where you go it should cost $15-$50 they should tell you right away what is the problem with your car
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Tue, 16 August 2005 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks trdcmy, I might take it down the road to local mechanic, I know he is dodgy though, but its convenient. If the HG needs to be done, i will definately do it myself. I have a torque wrench and I can't imagine it to be too hard, well worth savin the $500 to $1000 . But its not the biggest problem yet, so like most things, it probably won't be done untill it REALLY needs to be done...
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Tue, 16 August 2005 01:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah no sweat dude the HG in these cars is EASY Smile
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Tue, 16 August 2005 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a similar problem with my MR2, never bothered me for months, then id go away (2hr drive) while im there do some spirited drving in the hills, and it would allways overheat on the way home without fail

No water in the oil or oil in the water what so ever, but i had a small oil leak on the outside of the motor and a combustion leak inside the motor

Bear in mind, my motor was still runing fine day to day when i took the head off to find it actually had a blown headgasket
R-Lo
Regular

April 2004
Re: st162 overheating going to snow! Tue, 16 August 2005 12:14 Go to previous message
gearb0x wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 12:26

I had a similar problem with my MR2, never bothered me for months, then id go away (2hr drive) while im there do some spirited drving in the hills, and it would allways overheat on the way home without fail

No water in the oil or oil in the water what so ever, but i had a small oil leak on the outside of the motor and a combustion leak inside the motor

Bear in mind, my motor was still runing fine day to day when i took the head off to find it actually had a blown headgasket

seems like its tough toyota back again, runnin fine, even with a blown HG. My engine has been leaking for around 2 years, and simply keep an eye on it and fill it up. I figure, its better to leak out the motor and get regularly new oil, than to come out the exhaust. Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Radiator for 1ggte?
Next Topic:Recommendations required
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 09:27:13 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0068140029907227 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.