Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » The audio install is complete! but something is amiss...

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 01:16 Go to next message
It's finished! the front and rear speakers sound amazing.... but my sub doesn't.

In fact, it's so quiet that I can't hear it at all. when I put my fingers against it I can feel it pulsing with the beats, but not veyr much, and the volume is negligible. I've tried swapping around the RCAs, fidding with the gain, pass filters, and bass gain on the headunit.

any special reason why it should be fuggered? (it annoys me especially, because this is the one piece that I didn't install myself, and it's the one that's fuggered)
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 01:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How quiet are we talking? My sub often sounds quiet to the point where I don't think it's on, but then a bassy section comes or I turn the bass up to check and boom. And that's exactly the way I like it, it doesn't impinge on the sound.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
quiet to the point that when I put on bassy songs they still sound hollow, and I cant hear the sub, even with the gain turned up
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

You've got to play songs with bass man! None of these pissy disco songs! Smile

Have you checked all the +ve and -ve wires are going to the correct terminals? If these are swapped the sound will cancel out - that is, one speaker will push while the other one will pull and the sound waves cancel each other out.

Have you got some deep bass songs like Sting's "Wrapped around your finger" or Kate Bush version of "Rocket Man" where there is some very deep bass without too much other music going on so you can hear it clearly and how the sub is responding.

I'm better with home set-ups. I can't be bothered jamming myself into silly positions in getting the car stuff done, but the prinicpal is the same.

seeyuzz
river
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay, that's not cool...
Lets start at the start.

How is the amp connected? Is the sub being powered from a separate amp to the other speakers? If it's bridged, is it done right? (mine only works one way)

Are you sure when you "feel" the sub move it actually IS moving? I often think my sub is on when I feel it, but then I sort it out and bam I can SEE it moving.

CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What deck do you have?
Is the sub function turned on?
WiLo
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
check on the HU that the equiliser settings have something with some bass in it,
shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if the sub has its own amp, make sure it is grounded properly.

i did a bit of work on a system where the sub amp earth was attatched to a beefy looking bolt that was insulated from the chassis, so the amp was getting its earth from the RCAs or something.

get testlight/buzzer and check everything
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How is the H/U set up? are you running 3 sets of outputs from the H/U or are the Subs running off the Rears?

2 possibilities, 1 the signal from the H/U to the amp is low.
2 the power to the amp is bad.

Seeing that playing with the Gains doesn't have a huge effect points to the signal being low (unless you have a bad power feed to the amp? of speakers aren't connected properly) if the sub is running off the rear speackers make sure that the front rear fade isn't pushed to the front?!? make sure any bass controllers in the H/U are on, check RCA connections.
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are there any other settings on your amp ie. bass boost try turning those up...how many WATTS is the sub and how many WATTS is the amp, mighten be getting the power it needs especially if its not bridged properly. is your earth on the amp connected right, that can fuck with your sub aswell.

could be a thousand things
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sort of fixed.. it was a combination of problems. The freq filter was set on like <50Hz, so there wasn't much it was playing. on top of that, there's a separate sub volume control which was down low, and I still don't know which of the sub wires is +ve and which is -ve (the shop that did it used that figure-8 copper core clear wire. My stuff has a big red line to distinguish them. this one doesn't)
Lambolica
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mixing the +ve and -ve won't make a hugh different to the sound output it will just reverse the phasing of the speaker.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 03:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
which can cause reduced life, yes?

The sound is fine either way.. I just dont want to break my spanky sub.
mynameisrodney
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think it can hurt your sub.
it only matters if you have 2 subs wired opposite the sound will cancel out. if its just 1 sub u should be fine.i think

chris
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having it out of phase will only have it out of phase with the rest of the speakers. A lot of people won't notice, a lot of people it'll annoy the shit out of. Laughing
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the wire doesn't have a trace down it you will probably find that the cable's insulation is one side square (+ve) and one round (-ve) or one side with writing on it (+ve)
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 04:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one side had the cable type on it (guage etc).
I assumed it would be negative (writing was in black). called the install shop and they wire it positive, so all fixed. my ears hurt Embarassed .. been testing out how much volume it can take before distorting. I didn't get it to distort Cool
trdcmy
Regular

July 2005
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What sub are you running and what amp are you running, if your amp cant power the sub sometimes you will get the effect of it being on sometimes and being off or you will get the effect of it being really quiet, and do you have all the positives and negatives right, and make sure your ground is grounded somewhere really good.
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: The audio install is complete! but something is amiss... Mon, 15 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous message
to test which one is +ve and -ve, disconnect from the amp, get a 9v battery and push the cables to the +ve and -ve on the batt. if the sub pushes out its right, if it doesnt than swap m round and set em up accordingly on the amp.

if they aer the wrong way round ull get the wrong bass. they have different sounds wen the sub pushes and pulls. get it the right way n it'll sound better.

-------
jason
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine Warning Light Problem 4agze
Next Topic:MAP sensors?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 03:56:06 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061559677124023 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.