Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 04:27 Go to next message
I am just curious to know what actually happens. from all those people who have done it. I have TT the soarer and am running the W55 which although i have been told is just a strong as the W58 (even though people break these too with the 1G-GTE).

I pretty much would just like to know what happens. if you can tell it is about to destroy itself and whether or not you loose the box (and ring for a tow) or generally just a gear and thus can quite easily drive home if you skip the broken gear. if this is true is there one more likely to break? i used to do silly stuff with my box ages ago (getting compression lockup) and thus my syncro is no longer happy for second, so if anything i think it is the one most likely to go.

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of the three W5x's I've broken, two gave warning signs in the form of a subtle "tap-tap-tap" which got progressively louder until a tooth or three broke off. The other gearbox self-destructed with no warning whatsoever.

The manner of the destruction is likely related to the cause of its failure, eg old age, severe abuse, lack of oil (I did this to a T50 once), or just plain too much power.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://everest.fit.qut.edu.au/~n4150414/Random/w57_1.JPG

That is what can happen Wink Notice lack of teeth on right most gears...
(not my handy work Razz)

Norbies box that 'self destructed' Razz did a similar thing to the above picture. The only gear that will work if you suffer a gearbox failure in much the same method as above is 4th gear, it might make a large LARGE large amount of noise, but it should still work (unless there is so much metal shaving/teeth/gearbox gear in the box that the bearing seize Smile).

Torque is generally the killer of gearboxes so with the 1G you should be OKish. Then again I reckon if you tried really hard you could break a W5X behind a 5M-E...(I'm still trying Confused it seems pretty safe Razz)

Cheers
Wilbo

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2005 05:26]

Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 05:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
But those 5M-E's are torque MONSTAHS!!!! ;o

Laughing Laughing
ndgcpr
Forums Junkie

April 2005
Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dam thats a nice pic.

Are the w5X all the same. i have to redo my clutch because the GEU one can't take the power and i thought i read that the W55 was designed for about 200hp, i guess at the fly. so i think i will be near that now.

I know people have told me the are but i just want to make sure and also that if it does go i can get it home easily
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not all W5x boxes are the same. Wilbo and I have compared early and late boxes and discovered the layshaft gears (the ones with missing teeth in the photo above) and bearings are slightly wider on the later boxes. Obviously Toyota recognised this was a potential point of failure and strengthened it accordingly. Also some W5x boxes have a steel sandwich plate which supports the gearset; obviously these will be stronger than the alloy versions.

Apart from that though there won't be any significant difference in the amount of power they can handle. An early W55 and an early W58 are essentially the same thing with different ratios.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: breaking a gearbox Mon, 15 August 2005 09:45 Go to previous message
Norbie wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 15:56

Not all W5x boxes are the same. Wilbo and I have compared early and late boxes and discovered the layshaft gears (the ones with missing teeth in the photo above) and bearings are slightly wider on the later boxes. Obviously Toyota recognised this was a potential point of failure and strengthened it accordingly. Also some W5x boxes have a steel sandwich plate which supports the gearset; obviously these will be stronger than the alloy versions.

Apart from that though there won't be any significant difference in the amount of power they can handle. An early W55 and an early W58 are essentially the same thing with different ratios.

yes, and reverse gear and 5th gear are wider on the later boxes....haha, I don't think they were a real point of failure but who knows! (perhaps they made them wider in an attempt to reduce NVH?).

Cheers
Wilbo
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TRD LSD info needed
Next Topic:!!!!!!...... SUPRA CONVERSION non turbo to twin turbo..!!!!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 12:45:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048620700836182 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.