Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simple
Occasional Poster

May 2004
st162 sx wish list Sun, 14 August 2005 13:17 Go to next message
Now that i have finaly decided which car to get, can i get some advice as to what to look for in a celica sx?

should i be concerned about 250k+ engines?
any hints of expensive repairs i should be looking for?

also, with $8000 to spend what mods/upgrades would you recommend to get the car handling nice, running fast but still reliable?

remember the 8k needs to cover the total cost ie car,mods,insurance.
  Send a private message to this user    
StuC
Forums Junkie

December 2003
Re: st162 sx wish list Sun, 14 August 2005 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look for WISO's st162 Gt2. Has it all sorted out nicely.turbo conversion, heaps of stuff replaced, very well looked after car. Might need to stretch a little for insurance but with that amount of money u can get yourself a very very nice celica
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 00:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
there are exceptions, but 250k motors in Celicas are usually shagged. Forget reliability, once it starts playing up it'll be one problem after the next (which is why the owner is probably selling it). I'd recommend turfing the old motor, g.box, p.steer pump etc.

If the body and interior was in mint condition I would probably pay $2k max. You'd be looking at around $4000 - $5000 to do an engine conversion properly (incl. g.box, new exhaust and not doing anything dodgy), about $700 for quality shocks and lowered springs. That'll leave about a grand for a half decent set of wheels and tyres, or insurance Laughing. In the end you'd have a pretty tidy ST162.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2005 00:51]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in qld if the celica has had the 3sgte put in and u insure it with the right company the insurance wont be any different from 3sge to 3sgte . i know shannons and just cars premium doesnt change its wen the car comes out of the factory with the turbo strapped to it that u pay for it Razz
havabeer
Forums Junkie

July 2005
Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
new engine isnt all that much...assuming you have a few good mechanic friends.

a 3s-ge engines start from about 800 to 1300, there about 1300 to import but theres plenty of wreckers around that have em already.

could almost do the turbo conversion for 8 grand but will prob end up costing you more...

for starters just go with basic mods ie. exhaust, pod filter, extractors etc

i'd get a newer engine before doing somethging bigger like installing bigger cams. not much point pouring eaps of money into a car thats probably on its last legs.

visually you could do a fair bit. could probably re-spray the car your self for under $500, good set of rims 1000-1500, sound system bout 600-700 (including new head unit if necessary), 50 bucks for fur from spot light (im doing my interior at the moment), sports steering wheel for 50 - 100.

either way i'd put about 2 grand away for a new engine for when your's dies you can still do a a fair bit with 4000 if you shop around.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll want a series two ST162, which were produced from late 1987 onwards. Work out which features (air con, sun roof, cruise control etc) are important to you and then from there its a matter of finding the nicest example availible.

Rust and worn seals around the sun roof are pretty common. Do check for rust around the body but in my experience, they fair much better than most. Watch for any squeaks in the power steering (that can be big $ to fix).

My ST162 had 218k's on the clock when I bought it, which is low for an 86 model, but the engine burns a fair bit of oil and you have to respect the gearbox synchro's. Basically, the car is only going to be as good as the previous owner treated it. If you can find one that belongs to an older driver or is particularly low k's you shouldn't have to deal with any major repairs at all.

The only major repair done to mine in the last 19 years is a new radiator.

Expect to spend $4-5k on a good example. From there, front and rear Whiteline swaybars (with new bushings) ~$500, new shocks and springs (people here recommend KYB shocks and low or super low King Springs as good value for money option) ~$1000 and some GT4 twin piston calipers and new brake pads ~$300 will be worthwhile investments. A good new panel filter for the airbox (less than $100) and a full exhaust system (4-2-1 extractors, 2.25" through out) will be ~$1000.

Just Car insure my ST162 with third party property + fire + theft should + up to $5,000 pay out for $570 per year.

Throw in some good tyres and you'll have a fantastic car.
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, double post.

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2005 05:07]

berad
Forums Junkie

December 2004
Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 07:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
570 shit mines only 505... and got heaps of shit done i knwo it dont change the price but yer
buck naked
Regular

October 2004

Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I lost my licence a few years back, so I know you can get insurance cheaper than what I get charged Smiley =
smashed_wombat
Forums Junkie

March 2004
Re: st162 sx wish list Mon, 15 August 2005 09:43 Go to previous message
havabeer wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 13:05

...could almost do the turbo conversion for 8 grand but will prob end up costing you more...

You could easily get a gen 2 3SGTE conversion done for under $5000 these days.

Quote:

...sound system bout 600-700 (including new head unit if necessary), 50 bucks for fur from spot light (im doing my interior at the moment), sports steering wheel for 50 - 100.

stereos, fur (!?) and steering wheels don't count as mods IMO. Razz Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2005 09:46]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Another "I'm new here" Thread
Next Topic:TOP SECRET: Space Shuttle Replacement
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 11:00:09 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004979133605957 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.