Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
ma70 speedo cable snapping Mon, 15 August 2005 06:58 Go to next message
hey ppls

got a rather odd problem, i recently did a manual conversion on my supra and the new gearbox (R154) snapped my speedo cable, it looke like it twisted the fuckers out of it.. I wasnt sure what the problem was so i just replaced the ripped middle section.. it worked for about half an hour and then snapped again.. I am using the old Auto speedo cable what runs into the back of the digital dash, i have just put it into the manual box.. i assumed that if the thread was the same and it screwed into the same slot that there wouldnt be a problem.. Obviously i was wrong..
so what could the problem be... any suggestions (preferably not replacing with a manual speedo cable.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Mon, 15 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
typicaly it runs above the exhaust Sad and gets toasted, i changed over to a MX83 speedo cable thats more common and travels over the top of the auto and across the fire wall
HyDrA
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Mon, 15 August 2005 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm my speedo cable sits right next to the rear turbo, so it'd get plenty cooked. So far, it's ok, just isn't very stable (never has been mind you!)

COROLA on these forums recently broken his, just driving along and it died in the arse, same issue it would seem. Might possibly be dirt? I dont know, I haven't looked into it much Smile
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Mon, 15 August 2005 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if your not gonna buy a MX83 one i think i still have a GA70 speedo cable under the house if u want it make an offer.
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Tue, 16 August 2005 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i not sure yet, i know its not a heat problem coz its fucking insulated.. it seems like it twists itself too much and then snaps.. Actually come to think of it i think it happened after i reversed for a bit...

Rob- is your cable a full one or do you just have the middle section?? Is it from a R154.. What would you want for it??

cheers ppls
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Tue, 16 August 2005 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from memory its the cable all the way from the gearbox up to the back of the instrument cluster. It was for a GA70 with a W58 gearbox.

dunno how much its worth (dunno if i still have it) hows $30 plus postage?
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Tue, 16 August 2005 03:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that should be cool, however im not sure if it will fit my R154.. i will find out and get back to you, should get back to you today but not sure coz i at uni and got a lecture soon..

cheers mate
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Tue, 16 August 2005 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no rush i cant find out if ive got it till i get home from work anyways.
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Wed, 17 August 2005 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey rob, if you got it i will take that speedo cable.. let me know if you do and i will organise payment etc..
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Wed, 17 August 2005 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry man i forgot this, i wont be home until friday to have a look again.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Wed, 17 August 2005 03:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Are there any serious bends in the cable? also make sure all the connections are in properly and tight. I'm running an R154 with a digi dash, I don't know which speedo cable it is, but when I put in my electric speedo gadget thing I had to make sure there weren't any bends otherwise it wasn't happy at all.

You can test it with an electric drill (tighten the end of the cable into the drill and turn the drill on)

Maybe try putting some grease in it. We regreased one by putting grease at the end and then did the drill trick and the grease moved almost the whole length of the cable and lubricated it all, there was a slight noise before, now no noise and it turns easyer. If one of your sections is stiff then it could be putting pressure (load) on the new bit.
Stomps
Regular

November 2004
Re: ma70 speedo cable snapping Thu, 18 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous message
cheers mate, no serious bends in it but i will try what you said, as soon as i get a new cable that is..

cheers all, appreciate the help Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA27 Celica, Need LSD, Suspension upgrades
Next Topic:Clutch Slave 20v 5spd same as 4age?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 12 06:12:16 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058438777923584 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.