Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Double clutching?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 11:50 Go to next message
Lately a few people have made offhand comments to me about double declutching to get a faster quarter mile time.

Now maybe I'm just stupid but I thought double declutching was for trucks and dog (straight cut gear set) boxes,I also thought it was more for down shifts than upshifts and I fail to see how depressing the clutch twice during a gear change is going to make you acellerate faster in a road car.

Do they just think this because of Vin diesel saying something about it in TF&F? I thought he must have been saying that to the dude because he had a dog box/brass button clutch in his shitty eclipse.

Can someone please exlpain this to me?
  Send a private message to this user    
CrUZsida
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 12:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They are making a joke.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You car hurt with no double clutch!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh its a shit house movie and they tried to throw in terms to sound cool. If you really want fast acceleration flat shift but don't come crying to me when you don't have a gearbox.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 13:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why you racing a old kenworth!
Laughing Laughing Laughing
fast and the frivolous strikes again.
mick
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what's flat shift?
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 14:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
verbatim210 wrote on Sat, 13 August 2005 22:31

what's flat shift?

Don't lift your foot from the throttle when you change.
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 15:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i thought flat shifting was when u dont push the clutch at all?

when i drive normally i tend to go:
relax the acc only a tiny bit, clutch in, neutral, clutch out, make sure my revs dont change a lot (but of course, a little bit lower), clutch in, put into gear, clutch out, accelerate.
If i get it right, it slides sweetly into gear and im accelerating just as it clicks in and it really pulls, but the revs stay nice.

thats double clutching rite? so if u say flat shifting is not takin foot off the gas, am i not doing that as well?
xolent
Forums Junkie

October 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 15:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think by double clutch they meant clutch kick, I had to learn this the hard way!

dizzy
Regular

February 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 15:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is everyone else Granny shifting, not double-clutching like they should...Or is it just me?
TougeVitz
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 16:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
last i heard, they invented synchros to dispell the need for double clutching...

oh...and anyone ever tried changing gears without using the clutch pedal at all Razz
is interesting...(just matching the revs...within 50 rpm) and the next gear just slides straight in Very Happy

no good for the selector prongs apparently tho Very Happy
SIMDOG
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 16:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I was experimenting with no clutch usage the other day... 1st to second - fine, 2nd to 3rd - fine, 3rd to 4th - I fucked up and "crunch".

That was the end of my experimenting. I actually heard my gearbox still crying later that night. Embarassed Sad
river
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,

I thought double-clutching was what Mithy does.

You don't need to do it one a modern synchro box in your car though and I can't see how it would benefit your performance in doing so.

However, I do double-clutch occasionally when changing down to 3rd gear 'cos my gearbox is a bit worn on the 3rd gear C-band (doesn't have synchros in my box).

I've discovered, when changing down gears, especially on an old and somehwat tired gearbox (that you can't get parts for anymore) that it is cheaper to use the brakes. Brake pads are easier to get and quicker to change and much much cheaper than gearbox parts.

seeyuzz
river
verbatim210
Regular

April 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sat, 13 August 2005 23:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=mithy wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 01:14]i thought flat shifting was when u dont push the clutch at all?
quote]

how can u change gears while the car is running without using the clutch?
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As long as the revs are correct and match each gear you can get by without using you clutch at all except for taking off in 1st... If the revs are perfect the stick just slots in...

I love the double clutching that Steve McQueen does on Bullit... Such an awesome car chase...

I only flat shift to break traction so I dont see how that will help on a 1/4 mile... If your gonna double clutch in an attempt to get faster times... Your gonna have to get very fast at it... Remember the clutch goes in, then neutral, then out, then blip the throttle, then in, then into the next gear, then out... So you'll have to be fucking quick at them, and accurate otherwise its a waste of energy...
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
flat shifting is simply not lifting off the throttle during a gear change, you just smack the clutch in and out as quick as possible and throw the gear lever into the next gera. It's extremely bad because of the massive load you put on gearbox drivetrain etc.
79rollaboy
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah every time I do it I imagine the tailshaft and unijoints and gear cogs about to shear off...
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
god!ive heard it all now!
flat shifting is with out the clutch and you just slightly lift of the throttle as you pull another gear!its the only way to use a dog box,you can tell how good someone knows there dog box by the rounded edges of the dogs. flat shifting is great for stuffing a syncro box.
mick
finney
Forums Junkie

September 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 01:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
meh... double clutching is a good way to make yourself forget that your syncros are munted and need replaciong
jackel
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 09:08

flat shifting is simply not lifting off the throttle during a gear change, you just smack the clutch in and out as quick as possible and throw the gear lever into the next gera. It's extremely bad because of the massive load you put on gearbox drivetrain etc.

lol thats how i drive 90% of the time Razz

also when i "try" to drag with my corona ( Razz ) after i flat shift into a gear i put the clutch in again to up the rpm's. Goes much quicker but i'm proberly stuffing up my clutch. Oh well Very Happy
Evan
Forums Junkie

June 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
river wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 08:01

Hi,

I thought double-clutching was what Mithy does.

You don't need to do it one a modern synchro box in your car though and I can't see how it would benefit your performance in doing so.

However, I do double-clutch occasionally when changing down to 3rd gear 'cos my gearbox is a bit worn on the 3rd gear C-band (doesn't have synchros in my box).

I've discovered, when changing down gears, especially on an old and somehwat tired gearbox (that you can't get parts for anymore) that it is cheaper to use the brakes. Brake pads are easier to get and quicker to change and much much cheaper than gearbox parts.

seeyuzz
river

good point.. let the brakes do their job
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok boys and girls... let's get this straight

Flat shifting is changing up gears without touching the CLUTCH. To do this you very often have to momentarily lift the throttle a slight amount. This can be seen in V8 Supercars for instance, where the Motec computer actually cuts the ignition for a split second during an upchange, so that the driver can leave his foot flat on the throttle too.

Double clutching in a synchro car is pointless on upchanges! You actually want the revs to drop slightly to match the next higher gear, hence lifting the throttle.

Downshifts are a different story however. The heel-and-toe technique is used to blip the throttle to raise revs to match the next lower gear. This is done in racing/quick driving situations so that when the clutch is released you don't experience a small amount of compression lock (ie. cruise along at 40km/h in 3rd, change down to second and side-step off the clutch - the back wheels will chirp).
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what do you call it when your shifting from 1 to 2 using the clucth the gas pedal always on?
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you call that stupid. explain why you would want to do this?
mithy
Regular

April 2005

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Assumin white86 knows what he is talkin about, that's what i had thought the whole time too.
I only double shift on upchanges cos some of my 16yo synch's are kinda screwed and if i normal-shift while racing/draggin-off-the-lights then it tends to crunch and refuse to go in sometimes Razz
dbl clutchin saves me from that pain.. sure it's slower but it feels like you're taking care of the car more and if you practice (like doing it 100% of the time during normal driving like i do) u can get it going pretty quick.

and definately, dbl clutching on downchanges stops it from jumping around. it's probably cheaper/easier to just stick it in neutral and brake, but it all depends on wat the situation is and sometimes having ur car not in gear is impractical.
Plus, the advanced driving people will tell you to always have your car in gear so u can react quicker if an emergency happens blah blah...

my 2c Wink
white86
Regular

May 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mithy, what you say is true - double clutching is a way of caring for a sick gearbox and stopping it from chrunching in some cases.

However, can I just make the definition between double-clutching and heel-and-toeing clear? Both of these practices refer to changing DOWN gears, ie 4th to 3rd.

DOUBLE CLUTCH - Driving in 4th gear. Throttle completely lifted. Clutch in. Shift to neutral. Clutch out. Blip the throttle. Clutch in. Shift to 3rd. Clutch out.

HEEL AND TOE - Driving in 4th gear. Right foot presses the brake peddle with toes. Clutch in. Shift through neutral directly to third gear while rotating the right foot and tapping the throttle with the heel/side. Then immediately lift the left foot of the clutch. This whole process is sort of a fluid motion. Can also be done without the braking, ie to shift down to go up a hill.

Both of these techniques aim to ease the box into gear and reduce driveline stresses/associated compression lock by matching engine revs to the lower gear. By this I mean that driving at 60km/h in 4th gear, engine revs might be at 2500 rpm. However, at 60km/h in 3rd gear, the engine might be pulling 3500rpm. Therefore the blipping of the throttle in both techniques aims to raise engine revs by this amount (as loss in road speed is negligable). Doing so stops the engine from being forced to speed up while the clutch is being released. In a racing situation, heel-and-toeing allows very quick downshifts, and you don't have to worry about slowly letting the clutch out to avoid lock-ups.

Sorry if I am being overly simple, there just seems to be a lot of confusion in the above thread.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 05:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sigh...

double clutching is primarily used for heavy gearboxes where the inertia of the components would otherwise prevent the next gear from being selected without major wear.
think of it is 3 parts,
engine
gearbox layshaft
gearbox output gears.

the output gears are going at road speed, the engine is at engine speed.
when you take it out of gear, with clutch in, the layshaft slows down. if it is heavy or synchros are not there/not up to the job, you can't use friction to get the layshaft spinning again.. this is why you release clutch while not in gear.. to speed up the layshaft again. then after the next clutch in, you can rev match between the layshaft and the output gears... then when you clutch out, you rev match engine with layshaft...

thats it....

and without a MoTec or a dogbox, i think flatchanging is basically clutch kicking.... and it is bad for gearbox.. especially K series 2nd gear layshaft teeth.... repeatedly....
bubbles
Forums Junkie

Banned user

March 2004
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 05:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 14:14

thats what you do on rotary drag cars, you shift without letting go of the gas
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bubbles wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 15:34

and oldcorollas when you want to break gearboxes..

yes it is stupid.. but it's kinda fun.. but after a few gearboxes you realise it is mostly just stupid Wink... but still a bit fun Razz
Dorio86
Regular

August 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This is used in proper drag car gearboxes. it matches the flywheel speed so theres no loss of speed when shifting up
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lmao
unforgiven
Forums Junkie

February 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't double clutch when shifting up, i heel and toe on most down changes if im slowing for a corner.
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oldcorollas wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 15:55

bubbles wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 15:34

and oldcorollas when you want to break gearboxes..

yes it is stupid.. but it's kinda fun.. but after a few gearboxes you realise it is mostly just stupid Wink... but still a bit fun Razz

hell yeah, chirping 2nd gear was always a buzz in the lil sherpa. deffinatly got people looking. Laughing
only problem was stripping out the driveshaft in the lhs hub all the time. the welder fixed that.... Evil or Very Mad
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 08:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahaha

this thread is retarded
Arch
Forums Junkie

January 2004

Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
look, teh clutch is there for a reason. kick it and shutup
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 15:20

Flat shifting is changing up gears without touching the CLUTCH. To do this you very often have to momentarily lift the throttle a slight amount. This can be seen in V8 Supercars for instance, where the Motec computer actually cuts the ignition for a split second during an upchange, so that the driver can leave his foot flat on the throttle too.

Double clutching in a synchro car is pointless on upchanges! You actually want the revs to drop slightly to match the next higher gear, hence lifting the throttle.

Downshifts are a different story however. The heel-and-toe technique is used to blip the throttle to raise revs to match the next lower gear. This is done in racing/quick driving situations so that when the clutch is released you don't experience a small amount of compression lock (ie. cruise along at 40km/h in 3rd, change down to second and side-step off the clutch - the back wheels will chirp).

However, can I just make the definition between double-clutching and heel-and-toeing clear? Both of these practices refer to changing DOWN gears, ie 4th to 3rd.

DOUBLE CLUTCH - Driving in 4th gear. Throttle completely lifted. Clutch in. Shift to neutral. Clutch out. Blip the throttle. Clutch in. Shift to 3rd. Clutch out.

HEEL AND TOE - Driving in 4th gear. Right foot presses the brake peddle with toes. Clutch in. Shift through neutral directly to third gear while rotating the right foot and tapping the throttle with the heel/side. Then immediately lift the left foot of the clutch. This whole process is sort of a fluid motion. Can also be done without the braking, ie to shift down to go up a hill.

Both of these techniques aim to ease the box into gear and reduce driveline stresses/associated compression lock by matching engine revs to the lower gear. By this I mean that driving at 60km/h in 4th gear, engine revs might be at 2500 rpm. However, at 60km/h in 3rd gear, the engine might be pulling 3500rpm. Therefore the blipping of the throttle in both techniques aims to raise engine revs by this amount (as loss in road speed is negligable). Doing so stops the engine from being forced to speed up while the clutch is being released. In a racing situation, heel-and-toeing allows very quick downshifts, and you don't have to worry about slowly letting the clutch out to avoid lock

Ah yes, finally someone who knows what they're talking about. The only times anyone should ever double clutch is:
1. When ya syncro's r rooted
2. Your driving a truck with a dog box
and even then its only realy when changing DOWN because that puts the most load on ya mesh.
KOPDIS
Regular

June 2002
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LMAO cant believe this thread has extended into a debate over such a topic, i suppose we all started somewhere but some of this sht is hilarious!! Laughing
#Fiend#
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 12:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I thought so.

BTW these people who were telling me about double clutching were DEFINETELY not joking, one of them was telling me how he beat an R31 with his stock VL by "double clutching" (he beat the r31 in the drag but then went off a cliff/embankment). When I questioned him about how it made hs car go faster, he said it just makes it get more power. I was like "oookay" but after seeing some posts on this forum I wanted a definative answer about double clutching.

I also wanted something to show to these idiots to prove they don't know what they're talking about, since they wouldn't believe just me.

and yes TF&F 1 and 2 are shit movies on a par with godzilla and independence day.

PS, I used to flat shift my old '79 rolla but you could change gears so fast in it that the revs barely climb and it sounds like an auto even 2nd to third shift was blinding fast. Never seemed to hurt the thing either.
tricky
Regular

July 2005
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 13:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rona Drifter, I mostly agree, but as white86 said, there is merit in heel toeing into a corner to keep the revs high, and avoiding wheel chirp and compression lockup. But in true spirit of the road rules, thou shalt not be driving like this anyway!

Yes heel toeing works well on downshifts, but it takes some getting used to (and some clutch/gearbox torture!), and it takes a shitload of concentration unless it has become second nature, so it would probably detract from the average persons driving performance.

I was taking a dude for a cruise in my Lada and I heel toed from 3-2 (my synchros are stuffed and I was floggin it), and he was inspired to try this in his car. With me in the passenger seat... "Vroooooooooooooooooooom... Crunch... creak.. Vroooom... squeak... F*ck it.. vroom". Laughing very funny stuff when show-offs stuff up Cool . But I remember when my dad told me that I should be heel toeing with my toe on the brake and the heel on the accelerator, and he wanted to know who told me to do it the other way around... No wonder my heel-toe hill starts weren't too flash! Rolling Eyes .

Anyway, backon topic... What a ghey thread, made even gheyer by my ghey story!
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Sun, 14 August 2005 23:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
#Fiend# wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 22:18

I thought so.

BTW these people who were telling me about double clutching were DEFINETELY not joking, one of them was telling me how he beat an R31 with his stock VL by "double clutching" (he beat the r31 in the drag but then went off a cliff/embankment). When I questioned him about how it made hs car go faster, he said it just makes it get more power. I was like "oookay" but after seeing some posts on this forum I wanted a definative answer about double clutching.

I also wanted something to show to these idiots to prove they don't know what they're talking about, since they wouldn't believe just me.

and yes TF&F 1 and 2 are shit movies on a par with godzilla and independence day.

PS, I used to flat shift my old '79 rolla but you could change gears so fast in it that the revs barely climb and it sounds like an auto even 2nd to third shift was blinding fast. Never seemed to hurt the thing either.

i'd be guessing the reason why he beat the r31 in a VL is cos he has the same motor in a 200kg lighter car.
Rona_Drifter
Regular

March 2005
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 11:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona RT142 wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 09:03

i'd be guessing the reason why he beat the r31 in a VL is cos he has the same motor in a 200kg lighter car.

I'd have to agree.

Oh and tell me about it, one second ya double clutching and the next ya flying off a cliff!! Razz

[Updated on: Mon, 15 August 2005 11:57]

Shraka
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I double clutch via heel toeing. There's no point doing it normaly. But comming into a corner fast, to get back out of it fast sometimes I have to drop a gear quickly. 2nd to 1st doesn't work so well in most cars unless you rev match.

Anyway, I always thought flat shifting was when you lifted the throttle a little to keep the revs up as you change... but now I think about it if you slap the gear quickly the revs wont drop that much on a road car (due to the heavy flywheel). Although, on a track car with a lightened flywheel, might this help?

Not using the clutch sounds crazy! My gearbox sounds ill if I try to pull it out of gear without the clutch in (did it once by mistake).
jesseT18
Forums Junkie

February 2004
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive witnessed people double clutching up gears a fair bit.
if you get the fly spinning a lot faster than the gearbox, when you drop clutch it gives you a bit of a pull.
however when drag racing, your not shifting till your car is at peak power anyway, which i know i never want to rev much past.
my throttle stuck at WSID once, that was one bad experience, every shift the clutch spun for about 2 seconds after the shift, NOT GOOD. and felt very slow.
was interesting for my brakes when i crossed the line
Blown86
Regular

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 15:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is absolutely no way double clutching up through the gears can improve a quarter mile time! Anyone that believes this is a fool. Confused

Given that a flywheel only conserves some of the torque applied by the engine as kinetic energy, there is no way a fly wheel can achieve more for acceleration than reapplying the engine torque as quickly as possible after a gear change.
kingmick
Forums Junkie

Banned by his request

July 2002
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jesseT18 wrote on Mon, 15 August 2005 22:20

ive witnessed people double clutching up gears a fair bit.
if you get the fly spinning a lot faster than the gearbox, when you drop clutch it gives you a bit of a pull.
however when drag racing, your not shifting till your car is at peak power anyway, which i know i never want to rev much past.
my throttle stuck at WSID once, that was one bad experience, every shift the clutch spun for about 2 seconds after the shift, NOT GOOD. and felt very slow.
was interesting for my brakes when i crossed the line

i think some has been into the magic mushrooms again.sounds like there is alot of people around that dont know much about cars and driving.next it will be triple clutching an auto.
mick
mc68
Regular

I supported Toymods

April 2005
Re: Double clutching? Mon, 15 August 2005 23:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TougeVitz wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 00:04

oh...and anyone ever tried changing gears without using the clutch pedal at all Razz
is interesting...(just matching the revs...within 50 rpm) and the next gear just slides straight in Very Happy

lol, my mate did that for a whole night in his gf's forester gt...at the start it was slow easy shifts by the end it was dogbox style into gears...and it did not break Rolling Eyes
Mookie
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I some times do the "quick shift" when u keep ur foot flat on the accelerator pedal and kick the clutch. i used to do it on my motor bike.

I hear double clutching on the upshift keeps your engine revs high for when u select the next gear.

I do it on downshifts as it makes my car go in to gear better and i love the sound of it lol.

i had a car when u had to double shift on every gear change it was not a fun time !
rthy
Forums Junkie

January 2004
wtf is a jabber? a punch line?
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this should fix your double clutching woes
http://www.aksem.com/camaro_parts/camaro_interior_accessoires/camaro_Automatic_Transmission_Shift_Knobs.jpg Razz
Smokey228
Forums Junkie

January 2005
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not to worry if you blow your gearbox. we'll just have to get over night parts from japan! Rolling Eyes
ke382TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolling Eyes I feel dumber for having read this thread. Rolling Eyes

It does help explain some of the spasticated driving I see on the roads though Rolling Eyes It also explains why some cars are much slower on the strip than they should be (too much double clutchin' yo!). Rolling Eyes

Double clutch it yo! Laughing

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Laughing
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mc68 wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 09:29

TougeVitz wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 00:04

lol, my mate did that for a whole night in his gf's forester gt...at the start it was slow easy shifts by the end it was dogbox style into gears...and it did not break Rolling Eyes

I remember a story about a guy racing in the Le-Mans 24hr race, and with about 6 hours to go his clutch mechanism failed, so he had to drive the rest of the race clutchless, and still won!! Wink
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have seen and heard similar things at bathurst. Mark larkham had no clutch a couple years back made it very hard during pit stops but still managed to finish the race.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had to read thet twice, for a second i was thinking "since when did Mark Latham race at bathurst? Fat polly cant even drive his own car, let alone a race car"
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mark Latham drives his own car, its a magna, one of my mates from school is his neighbour rofl. Whats even funnier is when the media claimed he was in hiding my mum saw him doing his groceries at the local mall. Bit of a dickhead but just an average bloke.
cannonball
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Opps, SHHH!!! No politics! we've already got a religion thread that needs eradicating, last thiung we need is a politics one too Laughing
EvilJack
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

September 2002

Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rthy wrote on Tue, 16 August 2005 12:24

this should fix your double clutching woes
http://www.aksem.com/camaro_parts/camaro_interior_accessoires/camaro_Automatic_Transmission_Shift_Knobs.jpg Razz

pure class Laughing
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just make sure you dont blow the welds on the intake from double clutching Rolling Eyes

My IQ has dropped several points after reading this thread.

So much misinformation!
86DRFT
Forums Junkie

July 2004
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
white86 wrote on Sun, 14 August 2005 13:55

um, flat shifting still uses the clutch, you just hold the ACCELERATOR 'flat'.
Merudo
Forums Junkie

February 2005

Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WRONG
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Double clutching? Tue, 16 August 2005 06:18 Go to previous messageGo to previous message
the reason the guys in the v8's don't use the clutch is cos the hollinger gearboxes don't require it except on the longer shift ie 2-3, 5-6 etc though some still don't use it then really depends on the driver and how much he cares about the car/ his teams budget.
Ppl on the street will flat shift with the clutch cos they have some degree of mechanical sympathy i repeat some.

[Updated on: Tue, 16 August 2005 06:19]

Pages (2): [1  2  >  »]   Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:100kw seca vs sx St162 celica 103kw
Next Topic:Cheapest Toyota
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 19:42:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083990097045898 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.