Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Grinding noise..spigot bearing?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
papercut
Regular

April 2003
Grinding noise..spigot bearing? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:20 Go to next message
Hi guys

Recently i've been noticing a grinding noise coming from where the gearbox is - this is only noticable in 1st gear, and sounds not healthy. The only thing i can put it down to is a worn spigot bearing, as i did not change it when i put my new clutch in (3 months ago). It is a dry sound and gets worse in higher revs only in first.

What else could it be if not? does a worn spigot have a sound in every gear in anyones experience?

It's piss annoying cuz i try to avoid first gear Crying or Very Sad

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Grinding noise..spigot bearing? Tue, 16 August 2005 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is the noise there when u sit in neutral with the clutch out as well?

could be the clutch throwout bearing.
RobertoX
Regular

May 2002
Re: Grinding noise..spigot bearing? Tue, 16 August 2005 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The spigot bearing will only make noise when the clutch is disengaged. otherwise the gearbox input shaft and crank where the spigot is is practically a solid piece (ie when the clutch is out), then the spigot bearing is not rotating and wont make any noise.

It could be the thrust bearing, but I would expect it to make noise in every gear (??)

Edit: Always change the stupid spigot bearing when you remove the clutch... such a pain in the butt to remove the stupid gearbox again when you find it makes an awful noise Confused

[Updated on: Tue, 16 August 2005 05:09]

papercut
Regular

April 2003
Re: Grinding noise..spigot bearing? Tue, 16 August 2005 06:14 Go to previous message
nah in neutral its fine.

i replaced the throw out bearing and made sure the fork was attached properly so shouhldn't be any dramas there.

ONLY in first gear it grinds

also i fogot to mention, when i'm in 4th particularly, travelling normally and i want to pick up the pace, i step on the throttle and it grinds and sounds unhealthy in the area i mentioned the sound was coming from.

maybe something in the flywheel/bottom end?
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:RT-142 IRS LSD Options
Next Topic:diff 'lokka' in a hilux
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 05:45:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.00419020652771 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.