Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Rolla64
Newcomer

August 2005
Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Tue, 16 August 2005 12:34 Go to next message
Hi,

CLUTCH:
Hope someone out there can help 'cause I've got a sqeaking clutch in my '91 SX that's starting to drive me nuts.

I replaced the pedal box(car had dual controls - was a driving school car believe it or not).All was fine for first 3 - 4 weeks then the clutch started sqeaking when I released it (but not when depressing it).

I grease the wire and it fixes it ..... for about 1/2 hr and then it comes back. It seems to be binding on something. Did I forget to grease something? Could I have put the release spring on the wrong way (tho I can't see how). Someone please help, its like a Chinese (Japanese?)Water Torture

SUSPENSION:
OK ... A few months ago I decided to spend a few $$$ to make the car handle better. After reading a few forums I decided to go for a Whiteline kit. Unfortunately at the time they weren't doing installs as they were closed for testing, so referred me to a reseller.

When I originally had the job quoted, it was about $2300 for the kit, with KONI Sport shocks specified. At the resellers, they told me that because it was an Australian assembled SX (were there any other kinds?)it had the wrong kind of struts so they could only put in KYB's.

Fine I said, put 'em in ...figuring they, as a well known modifier of cars for rallying ..knew what they were doing. I got the car back and it was frankly crap. On a billiard smooth road it was ..OK. Sure it handled flatter, but on ANY road irregularities the front end would shit itself, the car bouncing all over the shop, crashing on the bump stops etc.

It was obviously way under-damped for the springs. Any idiot could see that. How this supposedly reputable firm could let the car out of their shop like that is just beyond me.

Less than 2 weeks after I got it, the car got even worse. I take it back to them & they tell me the LHF shock has burst from the car bottoming out. They fix it ... and less than a month later the shock goes again.

This time I take it straight to Whiteline. They agree the car is too soft, but say its not their fault as they would have spec'd Koni's. The reseller says its not their fault as I had the wrong struts.

They ended up changing the front springs for slightly higher ones, so the car doesn't crash anymore, and is a bit better behaved, but in absolute terms its still crap, OK on good surfaces but quite poor on uneven roads, where it is probably slower point to point than a stock SX.

I offered to pay for the correct struts myself and have the Koni's fitted & pay the extra $$$ (about $400) but neither of them would admit responsibility so I was left to carry the can.

Now don't get me wrong, the reseller was helpful enough, but offering to fit the Koni's & new springs at cost price, and suggesting I flog the old shocks & springs on ebay just not good enough.

I know Whiteline do good work but I will never use them again, neither will I ever spend money at the reseller, the only reason I don't name them is that I'm not sure to what extent they were at fault.

Would probably have said nothing except I had to get on here for that damn clutch ... just another consumer jipped by sub standard operators

GS.
  Send a private message to this user    
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Tue, 16 August 2005 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Firstly (and as a nthn Bches boy) Why the fuck did u not go to Dr Shocks (free plug cause they are great ppl down there), Jenny knows her shit and she would have sold u koni adjs and kingies (perfect combo, u may have seen my car about manly)

secondly more details on the clutch, and being a local if u pm me some details i can come past and have a look

L
Rolla64
Newcomer

August 2005
Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Fri, 19 August 2005 08:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Leigh,

The only reason is that I didn't live here when I had the work done. I lived in the Sutherland Shire.

I would be interested. I would like to drive another car because if my car IS shit in comparison, as I suspect it IS. I will be taking the matter to the Dept Of Fair Trading to get my $$$ back of these guys.

Give me a call over the weekend if you can.

George
0409 654 596
skellator
Forums Junkie

November 2004
Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Fri, 19 August 2005 08:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ouch
Leighp
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Sun, 21 August 2005 02:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the reason y i said that is cause ya location is that of manly that is all.
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Sun, 21 August 2005 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1. Whiteline stuff is good but their instructions (if you call them that) are pathetic.

2. The KYB's the reseller put in your car obviously weren't suited to your springs... since the reseller knew what springs you were using you have the right to a complete refund as the "product was not fit for the intended use"

3. If the "reseller" doesn't want to come to the party you should use Whiteline to help you get the problem sorted... seeing as Whiteline recommended this place to you it would be in their best interest to help you get the problem resolved.

4. I don't understand how you can have the "wrong kind of struts"... they should have been standard mcpherson items unless you swapped them for coilovers or something.

5. I notice Whitelines webstore do not list Koni inserts for the AE92 but instead offer KYB's... they recommend the AGX adjustable variants for the front though.
Scorpion
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Corolla SX - Clutch + Suspension > READ & WEEP Sun, 21 August 2005 07:50 Go to previous message
If the reseller identified that you had "such-and-such" struts and recommended KYBs then they specified and provided goods that were not suitable for the purpose. Seems to me there could be grounds for using legal processes to recover your money. Could see the Dept Fair Trading (or whatever their current name is) to evaluate your case.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Weight of ST162
Next Topic:head gaskets and engine rebuild
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 13:48:38 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004478931427002 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.