Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

icon5.gif  Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ???? Tue, 16 August 2005 14:48 Go to next message
Hey guys, i was wondering whats reasons why not to spray when its cold ?,
Is it just to do with drying times when using Primers/Acrylics ? or is it to do whats in the air, people say moisture gets caught in your paint from the air onto your paint job, but doesnt it have to dry in the first place since paint is wet in the first place ? I know i have sprayed few things here and there when its been cold and havent had problem with primer sticking or not drying, just took little longer for primer to dry.
  Send a private message to this user    
PHOBIA
Regular

May 2005
Re: Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ???? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you have plenty of time to let your primer harden than you should be right. It is more for the gloss finish paints. It's also not so much if it is cold, more is the air damp. A gloss paint will dry milky if the air is damp. I hope this helps. Good luck.
Kravit
Regular

March 2005

Re: Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ???? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool Thanks, So not much else to consider when spray painting cold ?
Dale_ta22
Regular

September 2004
Re: Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ???? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's probably just important for primer. The problem with it is that while the air temperature might be 15 degrees, your panel temperature is likely lower than that. When your panels are cold there will be almost like a thin film of moisture on them from the cold damp air. Try to paint onto this and it simply won't stick properly, possibly resulting in paint flaking off.

If you have to paint in cold weather, what I do is put the panels, or car in the sun for 5 or 10 minutes to heat up the panels while I mix up the paint and get everything ready to go. Once you have everything ready just bring the car or panels back inside, prepsol them and start painting.

If it's rainy or just not sunny outside, I use a cheapo ($20 type) fan heater to go around the car, or on the panels I'm going to paint, trying to heat from the underside of the panels, or from the inside of the car (eg. have the heater IN the boot heating from inside out).
Rob.C
Regular

July 2005
Re: Spray painting when its cold, Why Not ???? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:07 Go to previous message
If it's cold, you will end up getting what's called humidity blisters all through your paint. This is due to moisture caught between primer and paint, therefore once it warms up the blisters, as they will be full of gas/steam will appear. If you pop them, need to do it all over again.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Soarer 1JZ auto information
Next Topic:Gearbox upgrade for AE86
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 07:42:04 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.004061222076416 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.