Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Anyone imported a car from NZ?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 02:46 Go to next message
Hi,
Found a project car (non-runner) in NZ I would like to import. I've e-mailed off to a few shipping companies for quotes.

Can anyone who has done this give me an idea of what it cost them?

Which shipper did you use, and were you pleased with the service?

Thanks,

Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 08:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have brought in a few cars and they have cost me $700 each on the boat top. This is for running cars as you have to allow them to be driven onto the boat.
I just call a few shipping brokers and tell them I have x car and it cost me x amount to bring one over last time. I also tell them not to call back unless they match the price.
It helps if you have the car all ready to go as most often they get the car on some spare space at the very last minute.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not sure if they do nz-> aust but i got my car though a shipping company ill pm you the name and i was particulary unhappy with their service. not as much the shipping side of it but more their australian distribution side. as the car was supposed to be delivered to my door and they basically fucked that part up something royal. id reccomend strongly against them.
Lench
Forums Junkie

August 2003

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was always under the impression to import a car from NZ costs the same as importing/compling from japan
might as well go for the NZ option
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good to hear I'm not the first person to try this.

Compliance will obviously cost the same. But with the car I'm after, even if the shipping was the same cost, it's certainly cheaper than getting one from Japan. In Japan they are "collectible" and command about $3.5K Aus. In NZ they are just considered an old junker - less than a grand NZ. Smile

$700 sounds good, maybe I can ask the seller to get it running. Apparently it has a holed piston, so not much hope.

Any recommendations of Brokers I should try?

Cheers,
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just use the yellowpages and ring all the brokers.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oh and be prepared for some/most of the brokers to say its gonna cost you like 3k.
I get this everytime with some of them and then they think your stupid when you tell them to get fucked.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just to hijack a little...

Cool1, had prices from japan?
and when you say boat top.. so it's exposed to elements?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah boat top is exposed. So they just drive the car on at the last minute and park it.
We have brought stuff in from japan but we normally just arrange the seller there to do the shipping. I have tried ringing brokers to arrange shipping from japan but I dont know the place at all so trying to explain where the cars are is just too much trouble.
z|gen
Regular

June 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Tue, 16 August 2005 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PM the details about the car, and i can have talk to a mate who does car importing from japan, and find out roughly how much it will be.

depending where it is in NZ, will make it easier.
MY Racing 221
Regular

August 2005
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of interest, what legislation are you bringing it in under?

Race car?
Personal import?
SEVS?
15 year?

Cheers
Dave
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it'd have to be the 15 year/maybe 30 year old rule at a guess, but it doesn't really matter until he gets it engineered later on. As stated its gonna be a project. Bnicho i take it you found an old corona you were looking for or another old classic.
toof
Forums Junkie

July 2003

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually it does matter. you need to have import approval BEFORE you ship the vehicle so he will have to know that well in advance.
Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in that case being bnicho i'd say 30 year rule, he's been looking for old RT series coronas Wink
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep, it's a 1974 Corona Hardtop like in my avatar, so its under the 30 year rules. It doesn't run, has faded silver paint, a dead 16R engine, minor rust and dents. Sad But it is cheap! Smile

I have the DOTARS paperwork in front of me. Once I get some decent quotes on shipping I can hopefully close the deal. Then I will submit the DOTARS paperwork. I don't anticipate any problems with DOTARS as it is so old and it is just another bodystyle of a locally produced car anyway.

Unfortunately it is at the bottom end of the south island, which makes the logistics to the ship a real pain!
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So far all quotes have been around $3.5K NZ. Sad

They want to put it in a 20' container and truck it to Auckland, then ship it from there! Seems way OTT to me.

Might have to wait for a running one to show up. Fat chance!!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Wed, 17 August 2005 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah if you cant get it delivered to the docks and then drive it on, its gonna cost you.

[Updated on: Wed, 17 August 2005 10:39]

bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Fri, 19 August 2005 02:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Seller ended the auction ended early today, so I missed out on that one. Mad Reserve was $1,000.

In case anyone's interested, the cheapest quote on shipping was $2,700 AU picked up in Dunedin, packed into a 20' container and shipped to Port Melbourne.

Never mind, I'll keep looking...

Thanks for the advice guys!

[Updated on: Fri, 19 August 2005 02:21]

Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Fri, 19 August 2005 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Got a link for the closed auction?

Callum
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Fri, 19 August 2005 23:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As requested, link to closed auction.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Cars/Toyo ta/auction-33404983.htm
bnicho
Regular

September 2004
Re: Anyone imported a car from NZ? Fri, 19 August 2005 23:21 Go to previous message
I quite like this too! RWD Carina GT:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/auction_detail. asp?id=33478040&key=31616295
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cheapest Toyota
Next Topic:Crazy Fensport Toyotas
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu Apr 25 15:32:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059549808502197 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.