Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1JZGTE power on standard turbos?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Undertow
Occasional Poster

May 2003
1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Wed, 17 August 2005 08:09 Go to next message
Okay. Completely standard 1JZGTE so far.

Anyone know how much power/boost I can run the standard turbos to? Any with Pod filter/Exhaust/Front mount cooler? Know the power ratings.
  Send a private message to this user    
Cresss1jz
Newcomer

April 2005
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Wed, 17 August 2005 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah most of us with those mods run 15psi.. this will put out between 200 and 220kw at the wheels.. u can run upto 18 but turbos wont last toooo long!
Undertow
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Wed, 17 August 2005 08:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Awesome....... Cheers dude.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Wed, 17 August 2005 09:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
200rwkw is the absolute limit to what youll make. If you want more youll need twin dump pipes, with twin dumps it is also safer to raise the boost up to around 16 - 17 psi.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How fragile do these things get at around the 200rwkw level on the standard turbo's?

just wondering if its 'stevie proof' at that HP level..

Corona RT142
Forums Junkie

November 2003
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 01:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"LISTEN 180SX"

yah, they come with the (smallish) CT12A turbos, but they arent that bad really. yes they are ceramic and will die if boosted over 1 bar for too long, but plenty of ppl have gotten pretty good results from them with other mods (the HPI/Zoom project soarer got around the 250rwkw from the stockers - not bad at all).
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
True, but im more worried about nuking the engine, i've got fuel for 600HP, and intercooling for 700(trying to make it stevie proof), but i am running with the standard turbo's for a little while...

on the same note, i want to run a GT35R eventually, wondering if there is any point doin that before going to bigger injectors and a ECU?
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 02:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Skip wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 19:41

200rwkw is the absolute limit to what youll make. If you want more youll need twin dump pipes, with twin dumps it is also safer to raise the boost up to around 16 - 17 psi.

no twin dumps here...
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
stevie proof?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erm, yes, my name is steve... while i feel i have mechanical sympathy, some people would disagree....

the mechanic i used to go to all the time with my lancer described it as: 'most people with these cars put their foot down a bit watch the needle hit 15 psi, have a little giggle to themselves and shift, you fucken hold it flat till bugger off redline and slam the next gear, and repeat, when your up it one pedal is always hard down, if not two'

this was after my car developed a big end knock after cooking the oil..

MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhhh

you like to thrash

its all good

i have no mechanical sympathy either...I mean I service it regularly etc but boy does it get a caning...the 1JZ is the right engine for you Smile

all 3 of my 1G's were never caned this hard and none of them lasted this long Smile

*touches wood*
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Very Happy the evo engine my GSR eventually got was tops, but the GSR 1.8's were a little too fragile for me Smile

The time i cooked the oil, i got where i was going, and pulled over, as soon as the revs dropped to idle, the oil light came on, which was a bit odd... as long as i kept the revs up a bit it was fine, so i kept it at 2K for a couple of minutes to let the turbo cool down a bit, turned it off.. and there was lovely gurgling noises from the sump Smile once it cooled down the oil pressure was fine again, about 3 days latter it started getting this knock... Sad

the air temp was pretty cool, but the gsr only runs a water:oil cooler, which is a bit marginal..

[Updated on: Thu, 18 August 2005 04:50]

Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
draven wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 10:10

Skip wrote on Wed, 17 August 2005 19:41

no twin dumps here...

Oh well not the first time ive been wrong, maybe im getting a bit confused with all the various 1JZ power outputs claimed Very Happy
mz21_shiznac
Regular

January 2005
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 06:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Okay my car has a FMIC, full exhaust from Y piece and on 9 psi it cranked out 258 RWHP (194 RWKW), It is now running 15psi and pulls nice and hard. A stinger EMS is going in at the moment so I'll see what it puts out at 15psi...
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 12:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
in zoom mag they used twin dumps big exhaust pod and intercooler, with fuel cut defender, and pumped 220-250 rwkw without goin over 1 bar, i wouldnt worry bout fuckin the motor, the turbos will be long gone before the motor lets go if ya boost em to high.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 21:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about on standard ECU/injectors?
ripfast
Regular

June 2005
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the zoom 1j was using the original stock injectors and ecu, the above mods were all they did. Ill email you the article if ya want.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 23:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ripfast wrote on Thu, 18 August 2005 22:07

in zoom mag they used twin dumps big exhaust pod and intercooler, with fuel cut defender, and pumped 220-250 rwkw without goin over 1 bar, i wouldnt worry bout fuckin the motor, the turbos will be long gone before the motor lets go if ya boost em to high.

I can say that this is not always the case. My dodgy old mechanic was boosting them at about 20psi and taking people for test drives. The mods were stock jzx90 intercooler, twin dump pipes and 3" exhaust. My engine got a knock from that. I still haven't pulled it apart to find out exactly but I think it was either gudgeon pin or possibly ring lands. The turbos didn't die either but there was a bit of shaft play.

And on the power output thing: Remember that autos and manuals will read very differently on the dyno and that all dynos differ. So take it to the strip and see what MPH you get.
Skip
Forums Junkie

October 2003
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Thu, 18 August 2005 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ripfast wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 06:06

the zoom 1j was using the original stock injectors and ecu, the above mods were all they did. Ill email you the article if ya want.

I pretty sure he was using a power fc, not stock computer.
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Fri, 19 August 2005 01:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anyone have an opinion on what ECU to go to?
MR 1JZ
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Fri, 19 August 2005 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wanna run something like a haltech, but im povo so ill prolly buy another emanage and crank that
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Fri, 19 August 2005 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SL666 wrote on Fri, 19 August 2005 11:28

anyone have an opinion on what ECU to go to?

auto or manual?
SL666
Regular

October 2004
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Fri, 19 August 2005 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
auto
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 1JZGTE power on standard turbos? Fri, 19 August 2005 07:34 Go to previous message
From my experience, it is difficult to setup a wolf 3d v4 with an auto 1jz. I am going to a manualised auto so that I can make the wolf do timing. Apart from that it is going well. I wish it had full datalogging though rather than just the min and max volumes.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:tempermental 5M-GE
Next Topic:What are the size differences on a big and smallport head?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 11:34:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059030055999756 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.